2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The more I watch this video, I think I like Cozens more than Lavoie. This kid can really move and he looks as big as a tank. 6'3" and plays like a real power forward. I think he's a RW, but have seen him listed at C.

If he is a C, he could be the thunder to Barzal's lightning.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
anyone know much about Kirby Dach his size intrigues me and well he's a center and i don't see us being bad enough for hughes. so I'm thinking second tier type center/prospect

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ryan Suzuki is a player The Isles can target and keep an eye on. He's a smart Left Center, not overly big. But high IQ, and an excellent playmaker. Should be interesting to see him progress this year. Brother is Nick Suzuki picked 13th OA in 2017.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sorry I haven't been able to browse this thread. Just going to mention Kirby Dach. He is a high end Center prospect with size and skill. If things are looking like a draft high year. Here is a guy that the Isles can target if Hughes is off the board.

I also like Suzuki if the Isles do surprise and draft lower this year. Smart Center with high IQ.

anyone know much about Kirby Dach his size intrigues me and well he's a center and i don't see us being bad enough for hughes. so I'm thinking second tier type center/prospect

Bingo, you beat me to it.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Kirby Dach highlights.

Dach was discussed earlier in the thread, it's very easy to see why he's being discussed now. He was the #2 overall pick in the WHL draft so he's no secret. Krebs at #1 and Byram at #3 is a pretty good looking crop. This WHL class in general is looking quite good at this stage. Cozens, Krebs, Dach, Byram, and maybe Robertson all project really well.

At this stage, a projection of a prototype big #1C playmaking center is going to get you a dark horse for #1 overall status. Being 6'4" brings along questions about his skating, which seems to be the main knock on him. When I watch those highlights, I get dreams of Getzlaf and Jumbo Joe.

If we are in position to get him, a Barzal-Dach combo is enticing. The speedster with the big boy. Both are high end playmakers so they would mesh well with all of our projected snipers in Wahlstrom, Bellows, Beauvillier, and a miracle Hail Mary pass that Dal Colle is a player. Being a RH shot gives his stock that little extra boost too. Being the only seemingly true center at the top of the WHL class, the hype is going to be there. All the other top projected C's are LH shot speedsters.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just watching this video of Wahlstrom. Looks like he and Jack Hughes(6) have some chemistry, just saying. lol

Reactions: SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dach was discussed earlier in the thread, it's very easy to see why he's being discussed now. He was the #2 overall pick in the WHL draft so he's no secret. Krebs at #1 and Byram at #3 is a pretty good looking crop. This WHL class in general is looking quite good at this stage. Cozens, Krebs, Dach, Byram, and maybe Robertson all project really well.

At this stage, a projection of a prototype big #1C playmaking center is going to get you a dark horse for #1 overall status. Being 6'4" brings along questions about his skating, which seems to be the main knock on him. When I watch those highlights, I get dreams of Getzlaf and Jumbo Joe.

If we are in position to get him, a Barzal-Dach combo is enticing. The speedster with the big boy. Both are high end playmakers so they would mesh well with all of our projected snipers in Wahlstrom, Bellows, Beauvillier, and a miracle Hail Mary pass that Dal Colle is a player. Being a RH shot gives his stock that little extra boost too. Being the only seemingly true center at the top of the WHL class, the hype is going to be there. All the other top projected C's are LH shot speedsters.
Yes PW, I see your post now. I agree he is one to keep tabs on. His physical tools are intriguing depending on how he develops this season. Notice he models his game after Toews. Something to note. He is not all offence then, he wants to be a complete player. He's on my radar next summer.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A refresher on Jack Hughes...

Notice the chemistry with Wahlstrom. A Barzal-Hughes duo at center would be insane. The Fast and the Furious.

I hate wasting seasons and there is never a guarantee you get #1 overall but if I had to sit through a horrible season and it meant getting Hughes I would do it in a heartbeat. Kid is insane. He’s the prototypical player for today’s NHL. Speed,Skill, and great skating ability.

We would have an insane young core. The good news is this is a deep draft for centers at the top. Watching the NTDP Hughes and Wahlstrom stole the show but Turcotte is the real deal too. He has #1 Center potential as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTrotts19

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Notice the chemistry with Wahlstrom. A Barzal-Hughes duo at center would be insane. The Fast and the Furious.

Yes, Beauvillier-Barzal-X and X-Hughes-Wahlstrom would be awesome, but lottery odds have made it extremely difficult to guarantee the top pick.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
While Hughes would be great, it's obvious that there are some other quality Center prospects who could eventually slot in as a 2C behind Barzal in a few years and give us a strong core down the middle. To me this makes the Noah Dobson and Bode Wilde slides even more critical to our build for the future this past year. The fact that some were predicting we might grab Wilde at Dobson's spot and not have another comparable defender to either of them later on allows for us to not have to reach for a defensive prospect next year.

The Islander's can now comfortably pick from a strong group of Centers assuming they finish in the lower half of the league, as per expectations.

To finish in the upper half likely means Kovar or AB way exceeded expectations and proved himself worthy of a 2C, in which case we are in a far better position than we originally anticipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I'm surprised the Hughes/Wahlstrom chemistry isn't brought up more. They spent the majority of last season playing on the same line and everything.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would be very happy if this Isles team played solid, tough and skilled hockey all season long. With the vast majority of the young players in the NHL/AHL continuing to improve and gain valuable experience in Barzal, Beauvillier, JHS, Bellows, Johnston, Pulock, Toews, Aho, MVS, Soderstrom, etc.

Kovar comes in and plays a quality 2C game but ultimately ends up as a great 3C going forward (and is extended for a couple more years) and the Isles lock up Lee and Eberle to reasonable, long-term deals.

The Isles just miss the playoffs by a handful of points and Lou tells Bettman that he will release the pictures of Gary, with the goat in Tijuana, unless the Isles win the lottery and the #1 pick. Hughes is immediately added as the new 2C and the Isles are on their way the following season with Hughes, Dobson and Wahlstrom added to the existing group.

If I still have any wishes left, Nelson is moved to a team for a mid, first-round pick and MDC is somehow swapped for a late second in the 2019 NHL draft, adding even more quality prospects to the pipeline. OK that might be asking too much, lol.

Reactions: nyisleslover

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
The Isles just miss the playoffs by a handful of points and Lou tells Bettman that he will release the pictures of Gary, with the goat in Tijuana, unless the Isles win the lottery and the #1 pick. Hughes is immediately added as the new 2C and the Isles are on their way the following season with Hughes, Dobson and Wahlstrom added to the existing group.

I am assuming Bettman wasn't with Michael Jordon or Wayne Gretzky in Mexico then. :naughty:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Hughes is going to look good playing with just about anyone. The kid is that good. Wahlstrom is going to look just as good with any center that can dish the puck.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Hughes is going to look good playing with just about anyone. The kid is that good. Wahlstrom is going to look just as good with any center that can dish the puck.
It has been reported that Whalstrom is more than capable of creating his own shot. And I agree with you I’m still in shock we got both Whalstrom and Dobson I was coming home from a wake that night and was watching the draft on my phone on the NJ/GS Pkwy,not the driver. My buddy a Ranger fan wanted to know what was going on I told him rangers just gave us an early Christmas present.0

scott99

May 13, 2005
I still can't believe we got Dobson and Wahlstrom.
Add Bode Wilde, who at one point, some of us would’ve been fine with him at 12. What a draft ! I think the Russian kid was a weird choice in round 2 (thought there was way better talent available). But to come out of the draft with Wahlstrom, Dobson and Wilde after 2 rounds is an A+ draft.

Loved the goalie pick in round 3, and Pivonka was an interesting pick, he seemed to be on the ice a lot with Wahlstrom for a decent amount of his goals. All in all, and A+ draft considering the first 3 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad