2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
DO NOT KILL ME!

If the Islanders are going to have a rough season, and even if they are not going to have a rough season I thought why not begin talking about the prospects now?

Jack Hughes is my answer for this squad. I know they won't have a chance to draft him, but this season is shaping up to be a bad one and Hughes may be our playoff race. He would be the one year turnaround Lamoriello wants and instantly add 50 points to the lineup in his rookie year.

Kaapo Kakko seems like an interesting high pick as well. He's a Euro so at least he cannot go play for the hometown team.

One other guy I have been interested in is Alexander Newhook. He just makes you want to be on the edge of your seat similar to Barzal when he has the puck on his stick.

Reactions: IODCPiper

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We need a center.

Jack Hughes
Alex Newhook
alex Turcotte

Jack Hughes is an animal. He’s going to be special. If and most we will finish in the lottery I hope the hockey gods have pity on us and reward us with Hughes.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
TANK BABY TANK

giphy.gif

Buffalo+Sabres+v+New+York+Islanders+5AAcsrlca6yl.jpg

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Jack Hughes has a natural ability for hockey that I haven't really seen in another prospect other than McDavid, and that's regardless if we get him or not. That kid is a very special player.

Even if we don't get him, Alex Turcotte, another NTDP kid, is probably another top 5 pick. Trevor Zegras a top 10 pick. Both really talented, fast, two-way centers.

The WHL has Peyton Krebs and Kirby Dach. Krebs has top 5 offensive talent and Dach is a big playmaker who projects to be in the top 10.

That's a whole lot of center talent without even getting into the OHL or QMJHL kids.

This could be a really deep draft; there's lots of center depth, a really strong WHL crop, and a lot of top-end talent.

It's a very good year to be bad.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Jack Hughes has a natural ability for hockey that I haven't really seen in another prospect other than McDavid, and that's regardless if we get him or not. That kid is a very special player.

Even if we don't get him, Alex Turcotte, another NTDP kid, is probably another top 5 pick. Trevor Zegras a top 10 pick. Both really talented, fast, two-way centers.

The WHL has Peyton Krebs and Kirby Dach. Krebs has top 5 offensive talent and Dach is a big playmaker who projects to be in the top 10.

That's a whole lot of center talent without even getting into the OHL or QMJHL kids.

This could be a really deep draft; there's lots of center depth, a really strong WHL crop, and a lot of top-end talent.

It's a very good year to be bad.

Alex Newhook looks pretty damn good too. He's another high end center prospect.

This draft matches up with our need at center. Pretty pathetic defense class though, glad we exploited this past year's strong class.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Jack Hughes is in a league if his own. Kid is unreal. And he’s American!!! Him and Wahlstrom were magic together. I haven’t seen NewHook other than some highlight videos.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
Center seems to be a need for a lot of NHL teams these days, so while the potential draft depth may be great there now, a year of hockey can change things. It always seems to me that perhaps outside of the elite prospects, many of the very good ones take a perception hit when they get analyzed more closely in the year leading up to their draft year. On top of that, if the Isles are good enough to just miss the playoffs and we pick in the 12-14 range with the need at Center a lot of the top prospects could fall off the board before we even pick.

For now I suppose it's fun to think about, and given our current state of affairs I can appreciate the interest. Hopefully we can have fun here with it, while tamping down the expectations a bit. There is a lot of hockey to be played by both the men and the boys between now and the next NHL draft.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
Obviously, the kid is only 17 years of age, but Jack Hughes is listed as 161lbs by Elite Prospects. Gotta start hitting that weightroom.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Alex Newhook looks pretty damn good too. He's another high end center prospect.

This draft matches up with our need at center. Pretty pathetic defense class though, glad we exploited this past year's strong class.

Maybe some people will disagree with me, but I see Newhook being a top three pick some June of 2019. His vision from what I have seen from him is superb. Looks like a really special player.

Aside from Hughes do we know of any of these prospects that will be ready right after they are drafted? Kakko certainly looks like he may be ready as well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Maybe some people will disagree with me, but I see Newhook being a top three pick some June of 2019. His vision from what I have seen from him is superb. Looks like a really special player.

Aside from Hughes do we know of any of these prospects that will be ready right after they are drafted? Kakko certainly looks like he may be ready as well.

Some people rate Newhook 3rd.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
this is why holding on to players who keep us too good will hurt us. we already lost jagr by winning one measly meaningless game, same with Ryan Johanssen. I hope Lou is smart enough to not let it happen again

im not saying lose for Hughes, but dont Lose by winning meaningless games either

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Hughes and Kakko are the only guys I know about. Hughes is obviously a fantastic prospect and would give us a ridiculous 1-2 punch for the next 10+ years down the middle. Kakko looks like a really good prospect too, but he's a winger so I'm not sure he's what we need.

Honestly getting Hughes would make up for losing Tavares. He projects to be around the Matthews/Eichel level of player.

Reactions: Sorge Georos

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
Hughes and Kakko are the only guys I know about. Hughes is obviously a fantastic prospect and would give us a ridiculous 1-2 punch for the next 10+ years down the middle. Kakko looks like a really good prospect too, but he's a winger so I'm not sure he's what we need.

Honestly getting Hughes would make up for losing Tavares. He projects to be around the Matthews/Eichel level of player.
it doesn't matter, even if we r bad this year we'll never win the lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->