2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This draft is crazy for forwards.

Cozens was an absolute beast.

Hughes is the top prize but after him the center I Love is Turcotte!

This isn’t a bad draft to have multiple 1st rounders.

Hughes Turcotte Newhook Cozens Dach Krebs and Suzuki.

Just deep down the middle.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Never been, all I know of the Yukon is from the Discovery Channel programs. Interesting story though.

This WHL class is stellar. The US program looks pretty stacked too. So many nice center prospects.

Really beautiful part of the continent, from BC all the way on up to AK. Worth visiting. Whitehorse is a beautiful town,

You're right, this is one of the best WHL crops in years. Two potential top 5 picks in Cozens (reminds me of a young Eric Staal) and Byram. Dach and Krebs (plays a lot like Zach Parise circa 2004) are potential top 10 picks. I think Robertson is more of a 10-20 pick. Then you have other potential 1st rounders with Williams, Foote, Korczak, and Mutala. Top end talent and depth.

US is strong as well, like you said, but there's enough high-end Europeans, OHLers, and QMJHLers to combine for an overall strong crop. Interesting to see how the class develops this year and how much depth it ends up producing. The top-end group reminds me a lot of the strong 2003 and 2015 classes thus far.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I like Dylan Cozens better. He's a better skater, plays a more physical style, and is a much better goal scorer. Dach is too pass happy for my taste, but I won't complain if we got him. Peyton Krebs also looks really good. It's an outstanding WHL class.
Pass happy might be a perfect fit for our 2C passing to bellows/wahlstrom

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Getting another 1st rounder in this draft may be tough depending on how things shake out. Buffalo's sitting on their own, STL's, and SJ's and doesn't seem keen on moving them.

Lot of big name trade targets - Karlsson, Patches, Panarin, potentially Stone - still looking to add a 2019 1st as part of the return.

Then you have the scouts begging their GMs to keep the pick because they like the depth.

The list of teams willing to move a 1st to potentially rent Lee or Eberle for a postseason run. Especially now, when a lot of playoff border teams are wincing after Calgary traded what turned into a great pick for us.

Reactions: NC 1972

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Getting another 1st rounder in this draft may be tough depending on how things shake out. Buffalo's sitting on their own, STL's, and SJ's and doesn't seem keen on moving them.

Lot of big name trade targets - Karlsson, Patches, Panarin, potentially Stone - still looking to add a 2019 1st as part of the return.

Then you have the scouts begging their GMs to keep the pick because they like the depth.

The list of teams willing to move a 1st to potentially rent Lee or Eberle for a postseason run. Especially now, when a lot of playoff border teams are wincing after Calgary traded what turned into a great pick for us.

Yep, and aside from this, we have to simply see how things go with us this year. Nothing is in stone yet with where we'll be next May. I mean, less so than with just about any other team.

Let's be honest: heading into the season, the Isles may be the hardest team to get a grasp on in the entire league.

Sure, the pundits are practically damned to view us as a bottom 5 team in light of Tavares bolting without any kind of direct replacement. Understandable. I'd likely do the same as an outsider having to take all 31 teams into account.

But then there's Lamoriello and Trotz. I mean darn, most pundits can't look at those two and say "Yep, they're gonna lose a hell of a whole lot this year".

And what I'm seeing from the hockey writers this summer is that many aren't ready to stamp this team a dud, because they recognize that there's top-flight coaching, a good amount of depth, four guys returning who had between 59-85 points, several vets with something to prove, a good chunk of toughness, and a handful of guys who look like they can rebound very well with a sounder defensive system in place. Plus we have a few young guys - even aside from Barzal - who many teams would love to have (think Beau, Pulock, and Ho-Sang).

With several 1-year (or generally cheap) contracts and yet still some good ammo in the system, we're fully open to being a buyer at the trade deadline or moving out some bodies to reclaim a few of those picks Snow has tossed away in recent years.

In any case, part of me thinks it wouldn't be all that terrible if this team we have competes for a good long while and, in games where it doesn't, is able to send a physical message and keep the skill players protected. Give us fans something to root for even if it's not always a win. Once that trade deadline comes along and should we be hovering somewhere between spots 9-12, then that'd be an opportunity to ship out some bodies and bring up some of the BPorters who are deserving of a shot or looksee.

BTW, the Soundtigers are pretty well-built this season. Good reason to think that there'll be playoff participation.

Reactions: Jester9881

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

It will definitely be interesting. Ultimately, the Isles will need to see where they are in their build, and if they opt to extend Lee and/or Eberle. Personally I wouldn't mind locking up both to reasonable contracts, keep building with the pieces in the system and add one more impact player in the 2019 NHL draft, ideally a center, then be ready to really compete around the time Belmont opens.

As you stated, the market will be impacted by what other teams are selling like Ottawa (they will presumable be looking to trade Karlsson, but maybe they try to extend Stone?) and Montreal (Patches). Karlsson probably doesn't hurt too much, because he is clearly a unique franchise player that will take a package of prospects and picks, but Patches could impact the Isles market if they are trading a forward.

If/when Columbus moves Panarin, I expect they will look to remain competitive and flip him for more NHL-ready talent, not necessarily draft picks. So that might not hurt too much.

And outside of the first rounders already traded; Ottawa's to Colorado, the Blues and Sharks picks, I believe the Lightning cannot deal their first, since the Rangers receive a conditional 2019 first-round pick from the Tampa Bay Lightning (if the Lightning win the 2019 Stanley Cup - a 2019 second-round pick if they don't).

It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of market there will be for 2019 first rounders. I assume they are highly-regarded and most teams try to find other avenues to make trades and retain their firsts, if at all possible.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yep, and aside from this, we have to simply see how things go with us this year. Nothing is in stone yet with where we'll be next May. I mean, less so than with just about any other team.

Let's be honest: heading into the season, the Isles may be the hardest team to get a grasp on in the entire league.

Sure, the pundits are practically damned to view us as a bottom 5 team in light of Tavares bolting without any kind of direct replacement. Understandable. I'd likely do the same as an outsider having to take all 31 teams into account.

But then there's Lamoriello and Trotz. I mean darn, most pundits can't look at those two and say "Yep, they're gonna lose a hell of a whole lot this year".

And what I'm seeing from the hockey writers this summer is that many aren't ready to stamp this team a dud, because they recognize that there's top-flight coaching, a good amount of depth, four guys returning who had between 59-85 points, several vets with something to prove, a good chunk of toughness, and a handful of guys who look like they can rebound very well with a sounder defensive system in place. Plus we have a few young guys - even aside from Barzal - who many teams would love to have (think Beau, Pulock, and Ho-Sang).

With several 1-year (or generally cheap) contracts and yet still some good ammo in the system, we're fully open to being a buyer at the trade deadline or moving out some bodies to reclaim a few of those picks Snow has tossed away in recent years.

In any case, part of me thinks it wouldn't be all that terrible if this team we have competes for a good long while and, in games where it doesn't, is able to send a physical message and keep the skill players protected. Give us fans something to root for even if it's not always a win. Once that trade deadline comes along and should we be hovering somewhere between spots 9-12, then that'd be an opportunity to ship out some bodies and bring up some of the BPorters who are deserving of a shot or looksee.

BTW, the Soundtigers are pretty well-built this season. Good reason to think that there'll be playoff participation.

Rome wasn't built in a day. It's a process. We now have all the pieces (assuming Belmont stays on schedule and actually happens) to be a legitimate NHL organization... something we haven't been for decades.

The team is clearly in transition, there is an entirely new regime with a real owner in Malkin, a real GM in Lou, a real coach in Trotz, a real coaching staff, and a real permanent home in likely 3 years - fingers crossed. If everything comes together perfectly and this team makes a Cinderella run, I will be right there with the rest of us cheering our hearts out. If things go badly, you have to be prepared for it and I trust that Lou and everyone else will be prepared for that contingency plan... if it's even a contingency plan at all since the realist in me thinks we're going to be bad. Not facepalm bad, but still out of the playoff race by the time it matters.

While we do have Barzal and some very promising kids in the pipeline, Snow left us in a major bind. We need more high end talent, plain and simple. We need a #2C and we need a potential stud LHD at MINIMUM going forward. That's with the assumption that Dobson becomes Dobson and Wahlstrom becomes Wahlstrom and Sorokin comes over or Soderstrom/Skarek displace him as our future #1G.

The 2019 draft class looks very promising right now, fits our need for a premium center prospect. We need to stock up on picks and we need to reshape the team to what Lou promised us, a skilled and fast team that will work it's ass off. Trotz is here to make sure everyone has that balls to the wall DNA instilled going forward. Lou needs to provide answers to our roster holes and that's via the draft or the gobs of cap space and open roster spots to go big game hunting on July 1st. Glancing at the pending UFA class, there could be some options.

What if we deal Lee and he decides that he wants to come back to the Isles in UFA? I don't think that's a very likely scenario usually, but losing your former #1 overall pick for nothing hasn't happened before either. With someone like Lou in charge, the fortunes of the franchise can change rapidly from the trade deadline to July 1st. What if Lee decides to sign back with us? Martin came back after 2 years away and he was crapping rainbows because of it. Lee is character+++, like Hamonic is, like Martin is. Maybe I'm dreaming, but what if that was possible?

In any case, I'm drooling over these center prospects. Hughes, Cozens, Turcotte, Newhook, Dach, Krebs, and whomever else emerges as a true pivot.

Reactions: nyisleslover

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
This draft is crazy for forwards.

Cozens was an absolute beast.

Hughes is the top prize but after him the center I Love is Turcotte!

This isn’t a bad draft to have multiple 1st rounders.

Hughes Turcotte Newhook Cozens Dach Krebs and Suzuki.

Just deep down the middle.
sounds like just what we'll need also!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Calgary made that trade in the offseason. I'm sure one of the top 4-5 teams would give up a first rounder at the deadline for Eberle if he is tracking toward another 60+pt season, or Lee if he's tracking toward 35+ goals... moreso if the Islanders are willing to eat a little $$$ and/or also send a depth forward or defenseman. They might even be able to pry a first rounder out of someone for Brock Nelson.

I don't expect all 3 of them to be traded (I suspect only one of Lee/Eberle goes), but I do expect LL to add a pick in the 22-31 range, and one or two in the back half of the second round.

Reactions: PWJunior

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Barzal and Beauvillier would be able to play for the Sound Tigers in that scenerio. That would be one sick team with Ho-Sang, Bellows and Soderstrom in net.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
All right there has been much discussion about the upcoming draft, it has been dubbed the Lose for Hughes draft for good reason.. According to the pundits he is this years top ranked player destined to be chosen first overall. We are all aware of the areas in need of improvement #1 goaltender a #2 center and a legitimate #1 d-man. With the hockey gods smiling on us of late i.e. LL ,BT, and an amazing entry draft who’s to say it can’t hold on for just one more year. Let just say for the sake of discussion we miss the playoffs and win the lottery all hypothetical (relax people) so here is the question. For many the choice is obvious you take Hughes right? So now you’re set at center for the next 15 years,but a #1 D-man seems to be much more difficult to obtain so here’s the question do you entertain the thought of trading it for a young D-man of the highest caliber your thoughts on this very quiet August evening.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
All right there has been much discussion about the upcoming draft, it has been dubbed the Lose for Hughes draft for good reason.. According to the pundits he is this years top ranked player destined to be chosen first overall. We are all aware of the areas in need of improvement #1 goaltender a #2 center and a legitimate #1 d-man. With the hockey gods smiling on us of late i.e. LL ,BT, and an amazing entry draft who’s to say it can’t hold on for just one more year. Let just say for the sake of discussion we miss the playoffs and win the lottery all hypothetical (relax people) so here is the question. For many the choice is obvious you take Hughes right? So now you’re set at center for the next 15 years,but a #1 D-man seems to be much more difficult to obtain so here’s the question do you entertain the thought of trading it for a young D-man of the highest caliber your thoughts on this very quiet August evening.

Unless I get blown away by an offer I can’t refuse, I’m taking Hughes. I’m a firm believer in building up the middle with at least two high end centers. It’s what I and most likely many others were looking forward to for the next 10 years with Tavares and Barzal. If you can have Barzal and Hughes as your first and second line centers, you just can’t pass that up.

Reactions: PWJunior

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We are all aware of the areas in need of improvement #1 goaltender a #2 center and a legitimate #1 d-man.

Well, we may have the long-term #1 goalie in Sorokin and long-term #1 Dman in Dobson.

At this juncture, whether on the Island or in the system, finding a bonafide #2 center is the biggest organizational need.

Let just say for the sake of discussion we miss the playoffs and win the lottery all hypothetical (relax people) so here is the question. For many the choice is obvious you take Hughes right? So now you’re set at center for the next 15 years,but a #1 D-man seems to be much more difficult to obtain so here’s the question do you entertain the thought of trading it for a young D-man of the highest caliber your thoughts on this very quiet August evening.

You take Hughes and you run to the bank. That kind of thing would be a gift from the hockey gods.

Like Edmonton with McDavid or Buffalo with Dahlin, you don't even think of entertaining any trade offers.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well, we may have the long-term #1 goalie in Sorokin and long-term #1 Dman in Dobson.

At this juncture, whether on the Island or in the system, finding a bonafide #2 center is the biggest organizational need.

With Judas leaving, there is a hole at center the size of Texas. Having Barzal is a godsend though, he gives us the ability to go pure BPA with our top pick. Depending on how things play out, I would be ok if we walked away with another potential #1D (a LHD to pair with Dobson). That would be the only scenario where I would be ok with not taking the BPA center. It's imperative we walk away with a high impact talent at a core position like #2C or #1LD.

Any of the top centers in the class would be great though. I personally love Dylan Cozens.

You take Hughes and you run to the bank. That kind of thing would be a gift from the hockey gods.

Like Edmonton with McDavid or Buffalo with Dahlin, you don't even think of entertaining any trade offers.

While I do have some minor concerns with Hughes' lack of size, a Barzal-Hughes combination would be pretty disgusting and the added attention of adding a #1 overall would really change perceptions about the Isles going into 2019-2020. Add in Wahlstrom and maybe Dobson, the Isles would suddenly become a young team on the rise what would be worth watching for NHL fans and not just Isles fans.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Don't take this seriously as a mock but if you look at the teams at the end of the first, several of them SHOULD look to move their first for deadline help, especially Nashville. Boston, Washington, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, maybe even Columbus... all candidates to trade their first depending on where they stand at the deadline. Tampa is another option but their first would be conditional on the trade they made with NYR.

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't take this seriously as a mock but if you look at the teams at the end of the first, several of them SHOULD look to move their first for deadline help, especially Nashville. Boston, Washington, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, maybe even Columbus... all candidates to trade their first depending on where they stand at the deadline. Tampa is another option but their first would be conditional on the trade they made with NYR.

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

If we're selling, we want as many teams in the playoff mix as possible. Even if it's conditional picks that could turn out to be 1sts in 2020, so be it.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I'll be rooting for the Islanders big this year. Ten years ago, I rooted them to lose so we could secure that turd who wanted to go back to live with mom and dad, but I don't want dead last this year, it will be a real twist of the knife to do all that losing and then not win the lottery. Either qualify for the playoffs for come close to qualifying, and if not qualified, win #1 in the lottery. It's easy.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'll be rooting for the Islanders big this year. Ten years ago, I rooted them to lose so we could secure that turd who wanted to go back to live with mom and dad, but I don't want dead last this year, it will be a real twist of the knife to do all that losing and then not win the lottery. Either qualify for the playoffs for come close to qualifying, and if not qualified, win #1 in the lottery. It's easy.

It'd be cool to think that teams who finish just outside the playoffs are actually rewarded for doing so.

I'd have to think that many in the business would find it EXTREMELY fascinating if the draft lottery would include all 15 non-playoff teams at almost even odds, then have the drafting order simply picked one ball after another. That would definitely go a good ways in "possibly" rewarding the teams who were actually in the playoff hunt.

As for this year's team, I think many here feel renewed energy. It started with the addition of Lou, led to the addition of Trotz, led to a draft that was as solid as any team's, then saw us add several "something-to-prove" character players as well as round out the coaching staff with guys we know have succeeded with Trotz.

We still have some guys who can score and even when we don't do it much, we've got guys who'll make life miserable for opponents.

I love thinking that we can go into the season with the attitude "We'll beat you one way or the other, even if it's not on the scoreboard".

Reactions: BarBeauWahlDobLok

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have been participating in the Jack Hughes thread on the prospects board. I know this is a fantasy, but could one imagine a Barzal - Hughes tandem? Almost makes me want to tank and rig the draft lottery. Hughes is the new age player in my mind. Elite intelligence, shifty, skilled, lack of size(as long as you insulate him with size) type of player teams seem to be gravitating to. Would be something to see.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I have been participating in the Jack Hughes thread on the prospects board. I know this is a fantasy, but could one imagine a Barzal - Hughes tandem? Almost makes me want to tank and rig the draft lottery. Hughes is the new age player in my mind. Elite intelligence, shifty, skilled, lack of size(as long as you insulate him with size) type of player teams seem to be gravitating to. Would be something to see.

If we get Hughes, and if we don't make the playoffs, I hope we do get him, this team will be the envy of many. A Hughes - Barzal one-two punch will be better than a McDavid-Drasaitl, Matthews-Tavares, and Crosby-Malkin, due to their age.

The triggers like Oliver Wahlstrom, who would probably play with Hughes, and Bellows, who could play with either of them, have good size and could finish plays and make room for their skilled centers.

Any team will be dangerous with Hughes, as so many teams have great #1 centers. If he plays with Jack Eichel in Buffalo, that would result in the same lofty status.

I want the playoffs first, but if we don't get the playoffs, I want to win Hughes in the lottery, but that is very, very hard.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we get Hughes, and if we don't make the playoffs, I hope we do get him, this team will be the envy of many. A Hughes - Barzal one-two punch will be better than a McDavid-Drasaitl, Matthews-Tavares, and Crosby-Malkin, due to their age.

The triggers like Oliver Wahlstrom, who would probably play with Hughes, and Bellows, who could play with either of them, have good size and could finish plays and make room for their skilled centers.

Any team will be dangerous with Hughes, as so many teams have great #1 centers. If he plays with Jack Eichel in Buffalo, that would result in the same lofty status.

I want the playoffs first, but if we don't get the playoffs, I want to win Hughes in the lottery, but that is very, very hard.
It's early, but I feel very confident in saying this. Hughes will be as good as Eichel or Matthews points wise in the NHL. And I believe even has a higher potential offensively than both.

Very interesting and fun player to watch. If he and Barzal end up on the same team. I know what team I will be watching for the next decade.

Reactions: BarBeauWahlDobLok
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad