2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
Would you rather have a first and second or two seconds and one third in a draft where 20-50 are interchangeable. Plus to trade up you have to let go of an asset. I’d much rather trade down then up this year.
i don't think 20-50 are interchangeable... i would much much rather have a newhook, suzuki, tomasino... over the mid 2nd round prospects

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
And you'd probably be every other GMs FAVORITE GM. By a country mile. Yep, you'd win all GM popularity contests.

Because everyone and their mother already knows that the 2020 draft is going to be one for the ages.

Other than Hughes and Kaako, it's not looking like any of this year's top 5-7 will be able to hold the jock straps of next year's top 5-7.

By the way, "id be out with out first 2nd and first next year..." is a real tough piece of poetry. Took a while to see what you were getting at.
and every year leading up to the draft it feels like everyone is saying the following years draft is way better

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, did you get the Black book this year?
No, I only have Future Considerations Draft Guide and The Hockey News Draft Guide, the black book is a little too expensive IMO. If it were $20 or $30 I’d probably consider it. $50 is too much.

I used to get ISS Draft Guide as well, don’t know what happened this year, seems like they didn’t produce one in god knows how many years. First time I got it was in 2008, so I was a big fan of ISS, bought it 10 years in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Oh man..time is flying..didn't realize it's Thursday already...Cam't wait!

Will it be streamed on NHL.com again..I think last year it was

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thinking that by tonight we should switich to a new thread as the posts will be coming fast a furious by tomorrow evening and we don't want to have to restart then...

Reactions: SI90

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I didn't read the whole thread so pardon me if this was discussed but what are your thoughts on Suzuki... anybody seen him play?

Predications have him being available when the Islanders are on the clock and he certainly fills a position of need.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm feeling that Bobby Brink is going to be the guy that's left for us at #23. We OK with that?

If Bobby Brink is the best player on the table when we're up to bat (and he won't be, because there are easily 25-30 better picks in this draft than Brink), then you drop back in the draft.

BTW, we already took this guy last summer when we picked Iskhakov. Don't need to be adding more smaller, granted offensively capable players whose biggest question marks are in the skating department.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I just think a top flight C prospect would do more for our teams future then whoever we get at 23 this year and whoever we get in the (hopefully) late 20's next year

As nice as the thought of getting one of the shiny toys in this year's draft may be, the 2020 1st rounder is a commodity you do not move.

[Signed],
Every GM in the NHL

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
and every year leading up to the draft it feels like everyone is saying the following years draft is way better

Well, not every year, but sometimes that does indeed seem to be the case.

Still, read what many pundits have to say about the 2020 draft to date. Much can change in the course of next season, but what some of those kids have shown UP TO NOW has the industry speaking in very, very high tones.

Don't take my word for it though...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I didn't read the whole thread so pardon me if this was discussed but what are your thoughts on Suzuki... anybody seen him play?

Predications have him being available when the Islanders are on the clock and he certainly fills a position of need.

I believe there are some real doubts about his drive and battle level. Tough to tell when a kid has some very, very good skills, but underwhelms in the compete department while playing for a poor team.

There was a lot of disappointment with the 2nd half of his season, in particular. In addition, his performance at the U18 was just mehhh.

Then again, he seems to have some wicked hands and sees things better than your average player. And he sure isn't the first kid who didn't bring his best hockey in his actual draft year.

Your scouting staff will need to be in on the know here before taking Suzuki the Younger.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Watch out Devils I just saw Jack Hughes on NHL network say Toronto will always hold a special place in his heart.
I really hope they pick Kakko. I wouldn't be able to stomach him in the Rangers line-up.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If Tomasino is around at 23 you will have stole another Bode Wilde talent wise. I live 15 min from where he plays in St. Catharines and love his game. As far as Suzuki, Axel574 I have watched a few games and he has good speed, reads the ice well, backchecks had 75 pts in 65 games. His one element to work on would be to go to the net more and not rely on his perimeter game.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Newhook as a trade up, Tomasino at 23, otherwise trade down for Beecher/Fagemo. I like Hoglander too.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I am always amazed how informed on the prospects some of you are and appreciate all of the feedback. I only get to see a bit of highlight film and seem to fall in love with some guy every year as I am sure many of the rest of us do.. With that being said I am on the Tomasino bandwagon

With that being said and with full disclosure that I know very little with the draft prospects, they aired the 2003 NHL draft this morning which brought back painful memories. I remember wanting Parise so badly, but we took Nillson with 15.. the Devils and Lou jumped up to 17 and took Parise.. they showed Lou. grinning from ear to ear after. At least we have Lou on our side now.. Do us right today Lou!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
With that being said and with full disclosure that I know very little with the draft prospects, they aired the 2003 NHL draft this morning which brought back painful memories. I remember wanting Parise so badly, but we took Nillson with 15.. the Devils and Lou jumped up to 17 and took Parise.. they showed Lou. grinning from ear to ear after. At least we have Lou on our side now.. Do us right today Lou!

Ignoring Parise, Lou's draft record in the 2000s isn't the greatest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad