2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I don't mind the selection at all with Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde supplying positional and talent level value where we got them. I thought the selection of Skarek in the 3rd was a very good pick as well. Maybe Jenkins or Pivonka can surprise. A decade later, the 2018 class could be a foundational class the way the 2008 class was for our last rebuild.

Following that up with a strong 2019 draft could set us up for the long haul. Then it would be all about keeping the talent supply flowing in all the subsequent drafts. The crap results from the 2010-2014 classes really railroaded the Judas era. We need to do better this time around.

I agree but that idiot Snow has already traded away our 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders for the 2019 draft. Unless some new picks are acquired in the next year that draft will hinge on our 1st round selection.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Being cognizant of where you realistically stand in the scheme of things leads to informed decisions, while ignoring facts or poor planning leaves you floundering in the dark for years on end. Brian Cashman understood that. So does lou. Short term pain can lead to long term gains and only by being honest with yourself can you take advantage of the opportunities as they present themselves. I for one could give a rats ass where we finish this year, as long as we use sound logic and properly thought out long term planning. This quick fix routine we've followed for years doesn't work and just because a few of you can't bear a little pain, that's no reason to continue being stupid.

With this, I certainly agree.

I trust Lou very well knows the difference between a team that is close to contending or not, regardless of whether it manages to claw its way into the playoffs.

I suspect the combination of his age and experience means he's not going to be here twiddling his thumbs.

He'll get things going properly and will make use of the trade deadline accordingly to improve with an eye on the future.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Karma wise maybe. But I look at it like we lucked out in spite of ourselves.....what if winning those late season games had cost us the 7th and 12th picks we still could have drafted Dobson and Wahlstrom. Or had Svechnikov and Dobson

Or if teams hadn't gone off the board....Veleno and Smith, on the whole id rather use sound logic and understanding where we are in the scheme of things and put ourselves in the best possible position to succeed. That way you make your own luck. And not hoping somebody else screws up.

I'd certainly had rather seen the team lose the last three games, but Snow didn't put us in the position to do that.

He let things stay ho-hum (i.e. didn't use the deadline to this franchise's advantage) and the players obviously don't give a CRAP about the drafting position.

We can hope Lou will be putting us into a position to succeed, at the draft as well.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I could be wrong but if the Flames miss the playoffs we get their 2019 pick, else we get their 2020 pick. Now that being said which ever year we gain their 2nd we lose our 4th
I think it was based on whether they missed the playoffs last year so that pick is finalized now. We get their second/they get our 4th.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I'm not worried about the standings. As long as Barzal keeps progressing in his game, I consider that a big win no matter what happens. I would also like to see Beauvillier and Pulock make strides into bigger contributors. I'd also like to see Wahlstrom and Dobson make strides in their development as both could be serious contenders for a roster spot in 2019-2020.

If we are fortunate to grab one of these highly touted centers, that would be the cherry on top and really set us up for the future.

#1C - Barzal
#2C - TBD
#1RW - Wahlstrom
#1RD - Dobson
#1LD - TBD
#1G - Sorokin/Soderstrom/Skarek

Beauvillier, Pulock, Bellows, Ho-Sang, Wilde.

Fill those 2 holes at #2C and #1LD, the potential is there for this new core in the era of Barzal Islanders to be a really good one. Team built on speed and skill. Isn't that what Lou promised us when he took the job? It won't be this year, but I think we see it next year.
Went to the Canada pre-tournament game earlier this evening in Red Deer.

Saw strong potential to fill either of those holes. Dach was solid and moves very well for a big kid. Sees the ice well but seemed very intent on getting Lafreniere the puck (as they played together). His ability is very obvious to se3.

More impressive was Bowen Byram, a LHD who plays with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL. I though he was the best player on the ice most shifts. His movement skills and patience in making plays in all three zones was excellent but does not play slowly. Set up two of Canada's three goals, both on great plays.

If I get to other Hlinka Gretzky games I'll post some notes. Will try to get to US game on Monday (it's a holiday up here).

Cheers.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My early impression of Ryan Suzuki. Very smart player, it's early but I would not surprised if he is a top 10 pick this upcoming draft. At worst mid first rd. He is the type of player I like. High IQ, slippery, finds space. Uses his head to beat you rather than his brawn. He could be on the Islanders radar depending on where they finish.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I hear Cozens is really impressing, he's emerging as one of my favorites. I think he's a center, could be the brawn to Barzal's speed.

I'm also intrigued by Byram and Robertson, high end LD's.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I want to get this up there to see what it looks like going forward...

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Jack Hughes
Ht/Wt:5'10"/160 lbs
Position:C
Team: NTDP U18 (USDP)
2 *
Alex Newhook
Ht/Wt:5'11"/185 lbs
Team: Victoria (BCHL)
Kaapo Kakko
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/185 lbs
Position:RW
Team: TPS U20 (Jr A SM-Liiga)
Peyton Krebs
Ht/Wt:5'11"/175 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Kootenay (WHL)
Alex Turcotte
Ht/Wt:5'11"/194 lbs
Kirby Dach
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/185 lbs
Team: Saskatoon (WHL)
Bowen Byram
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/180 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: Vancouver (WHL)
Dylan Cozens
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/175 lbs
Team: Lethbridge (WHL)
Raphael Lavoie
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/190 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Halifax (QMJHL)
Anttoni Honka
Ht/Wt:5'10"/170 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: JYP (Liiga)
Trevor Zegras
Ht/Wt:5'11"/165 lbs
Matthew Robertson
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/195 lbs
Team: Edmonton (WHL)
Arthur Kaliyev
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/165 lbs
Team: Hamilton (OHL)
Ryan Suzuki
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/175 lbs
Team: Barrie (OHL)
Blake Murray
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/180 lbs
Team: Sudbury (OHL)
Nolan Foote
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/190 lbs
Team: Kelowna (WHL)
17 *
Cole Caufield
Ht/Wt:5' 6"/165 lbs
Position:C/RW
Cam York
Ht/Wt:5'11"/165 lbs
Team: NTDP U17 (USDP)
Matthew Boldy
Victor Soderstrom
Position:RHD
Team: Brynas J20 (Superelit)
Vasili Podkolzin
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/185 lbs
Team: Vityaz Podolsk (Russia U17)
Tobias Bjornfot
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs
Team: Djurgardens J20 (Superelit)
23 *
Mikko Kokkonen
Ht/Wt:5'11"/190 lbs
Team: Jukurit (Liiga)
Marshall Warren
Ht/Wt:5'11"/170 lbs
Nils Hoglander
Ht/Wt:5' 9"/185 lbs
Team: AIK (Allsvenskan)
Samuel Poulin
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/210 lbs
Team: Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
Valentin Nussbaumer
Ht/Wt:5'10"/160 lbs
Team: Biel (NLA)
Artemi Knyazev
Team: Irbis Kazan (MHL)
Alex Vlasic
Ht/Wt:6' 5"/190 lbs
Team: NTDP U17 (USDP)
Maxim Cajkovic
Ht/Wt:5'11"/185 lbs
Team: Malmo J20 (Superelit)
Albin Grewe
Team: Djurgardens J20 (Superelit)

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
At this juncture, one would have to think that if the Isles are picking top 6 next summer, they're coming away with a center. Hughes, Newhook, Dach, and Cozens are looking like the prime candidates at this juncture. Surely a few other kids will work their way up to the forefront.

That said, Byram is looking like a very nice multi-tool defenseman who many teams would drool to add.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
kirby Dach (great name!) a 2 way power center who's a big body i like the sound of that

I like Dylan Cozens better. He's a better skater, plays a more physical style, and is a much better goal scorer. Dach is too pass happy for my taste, but I won't complain if we got him. Peyton Krebs also looks really good. It's an outstanding WHL class.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
At this juncture, one would have to think that if the Isles are picking top 6 next summer, they're coming away with a center. Hughes, Newhook, Dach, and Cozens are looking like the prime candidates at this juncture. Surely a few other kids will work their way up to the forefront.

That said, Byram is looking like a very nice multi-tool defenseman who many teams would drool to add.

Don't forget about Krebs and Turcotte from the US program. Lavoie from the Q looks like a RW to me, but he could be in the mix too. It's a good year for big power centers that are RH shots and LH shot speedy playmakers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'd certainly had rather seen the team lose the last three games, but Snow didn't put us in the position to do that.

He let things stay ho-hum (i.e. didn't use the deadline to this franchise's advantage) and the players obviously don't give a CRAP about the drafting position.

We can hope Lou will be putting us into a position to succeed, at the draft as well.
As matter developed the not tanking those last 3 games meant absolutely nothing because the team ended up with Whalstrom who didn't go top 5-6 because other GM's are real bad at their jobs.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Re: that mock draft: given the narative of the people calling on the team to tank to get a Center because this class is full of them, the team drafting a defenseman instead would be just fantastic.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The amount of talent at the Hlinka tourney is crazy. The 2020 class is crazy with LaFreniere, Holtz, and Raymond.

I was impressed with the WHL players for the 2019 class. Cozens is the guy I really like, a 2-way power center that skates really well. Was trusted as the shutdown center to go up against the other team's big boys. Would be the thunder to Barzal's lightning.

Peyton Krebs was the top line center, the kid can fly and competes in all zones. Nice playmaking ability, playing with LaFreniere will showcase that. Kirby Dach was on RW, but I love his game too. Kind of an extreme playmaker though, prefer Cozens because he skates better and is a better goal scorer.

Byram and Robertson looked impressive to me as LHD's, our 2nd biggest need IMO. Byram is very offensive, skates very well and really supports the play in the offensive zone. Robertson skates very well for a 6'3" kid. Got a bit of a Dobson type vibe from him, some skill refinement and he could be a 2-way beast.

We need a #2C in the worst way, but I would not be opposed to selecting a potential #1LD to pair with Dobson. Having a #1C like Barzal gives us that flexibility as that's the hardest asset to find.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Russian Vasilli Podkolzin nice goal

Podkolzin was great, he and Philip Broberg really boosted their stocks with their Hlinka performances.

Cozens really looks even more determined and his skating looks even better than last season. Right now Button has him at #2 behind Hughes, can't say I disagree.

The amount of talent in this draft is phenomenal.

1. Jack Hughes, C
2. Dylan Cozens, C
3. Kaapo Kakko, RW
4. Bowen Byram, LD
5. Philip Broberg, LD
6. Vasili Podkolzin, RW
7. Alex Turcotte, C
8. Peyton Krebs, C
9. Raphael Lavoie, RW
10. Kirby Dach, C
11. Alex Newhook, C
12. Arthur Kaliyev, RW
13. Matthew Robertson, LD
14. Anttoni Honka, RD
15. Trevor Zegras, C
16. Ryan Suzuki, C
17. Cole Caufield, RW
18. Cam York, LD
19. Blake Murray, C
20. Maxim Cajkovic, RW
21. Josh Williams, RW
22. Nolan Foote, LW
23. Matthew Boldy, LW
24. Mikko Kokkonen, LD
25. Samuel Poulin, LW
26. Kaedan Korczak, RD
27. Valentin Nussbaumer, C
28. Marshall Warren, LD
29. Victor Soderstrom, RD
30. Sasha Mutala, RW
31. Xavier Parent, C

Really excited for this draft class.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Podkolzin was great, he and Philip Broberg really boosted their stocks with their Hlinka performances.

Cozens really looks even more determined and his skating looks even better than last season. Right now Button has him at #2 behind Hughes, can't say I disagree.

The amount of talent in this draft is phenomenal.

1. Jack Hughes, C
2. Dylan Cozens, C
3. Kaapo Kakko, RW
4. Bowen Byram, LD
5. Philip Broberg, LD
6. Vasili Podkolzin, RW
7. Alex Turcotte, C
8. Peyton Krebs, C
9. Raphael Lavoie, RW
10. Kirby Dach, C
11. Alex Newhook, C
12. Arthur Kaliyev, RW
13. Matthew Robertson, LD
14. Anttoni Honka, RD
15. Trevor Zegras, C
16. Ryan Suzuki, C
17. Cole Caufield, RW
18. Cam York, LD
19. Blake Murray, C
20. Maxim Cajkovic, RW
21. Josh Williams, RW
22. Nolan Foote, LW
23. Matthew Boldy, LW
24. Mikko Kokkonen, LD
25. Samuel Poulin, LW
26. Kaedan Korczak, RD
27. Valentin Nussbaumer, C
28. Marshall Warren, LD
29. Victor Soderstrom, RD
30. Sasha Mutala, RW
31. Xavier Parent, C

Really excited for this draft class.

I think Cozens is my early favorite as 'My guy, prospect crush' for this year. Love the backstory with being from the Yukon too. I've been gravitating towards him for a little while now.

Reactions: Konk

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I think Cozens is my early favorite as 'My guy, prospect crush' for this year. Love the backstory with being from the Yukon too. I've been gravitating towards him for a little while now.

Whitehorse, no less. You ever been there? I got offered cocaine there by the first person I spoke to, within 5 minutes of getting out of my car, first time ever visiting.

Did not expect that, especially from a place that looks like it's still in the early 1900s.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Whitehorse, no less. You ever been there? I got offered cocaine there by the first person I spoke to, within 5 minutes of getting out of my car, first time ever visiting.

Did not expect that, especially from a place that looks like it's still in the early 1900s.

Never been, all I know of the Yukon is from the Discovery Channel programs. Interesting story though.

This WHL class is stellar. The US program looks pretty stacked too. So many nice center prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad