Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I
HI! I'm a Canadiens fan and I'm asking other teams fans what are the first need you have to adress with your first pick. The Canadiens needs to find a winger (powerforward or goal scorer) and secondly, a top4 D. Cheers!
I was the GM of the HABS in our oilers 7 round mock draft and I drafted Arthur Kalyev for the Habs at 15.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Lots of hype going into the draft about Broberg. Is he another Nurse without the nasty? Sounds like he's an incredible skater who likes to lug the puck up ice but has questionable hockey sense.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Lots of hype going into the draft about Broberg. Is he another Nurse without the nasty? Sounds like he's an incredible skater who likes to lug the puck up ice but has questionable hockey sense.

Hes big and fast. I don't think his hockey sense is questionable, it's pretty good. He just lacks a good first pass, doesn't have a cannon and doesnt have as soft of hands as other puck moving dmen.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Hes big and fast. I don't think his hockey sense is questionable, it's pretty good. He just lacks a good first pass, doesn't have a cannon and doesnt have as soft of hands as other puck moving dmen.

Then he's not top 10 material. If he's supposed to be an offensive dman he has to have a good first pass. If he doesn't, stay the heck away from him

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

This seems pretty accurate. The shot can be developed, I didn't think his puck skills were a detriment but also not a selling point. A good first pass seems to be crucial... if you don't have that quality as a draft eligible teen, it seems like the chances of developing that quality later on are slim.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Then he's not top 10 material. If he's supposed to be an offensive dman he has to have a good first pass. If he doesn't, stay the heck away from him

I wouldnt really classify him as an offensive defenceman. I think the appeal here with Broberg is that he can be the most complete defenceman in the draft. Hes still raw but has already proven that he can contribute both offensively and defensively.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

He has a cannon of a shot just not accurate. Hockey IQ I agree is good. First pass isn’t bad, just not as hard tape to tape as I’d like. He’s got huge potential.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm baffled looking at Craig Button's new list.

So we're taking Krebs with Turcotte, Dach AND Cousins left on the board?

Does this sound realistic to anyone here?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'm baffled looking at Craig Button's new list.

So we're taking Krebs with Turcotte, Dach AND Cousins left on the board?

Does this sound realistic to anyone here?

I would definitely take Turcotte and Dach over Krebs, although I would probably prefer Krebs over Cozens.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Any reason why there is no public video of the Oilers interviewing Matthew Boldy?

Looking at their YouTube Channel they have interviews with Caufield, Cozens, York, Broberg, Dach, Turcotte, Newhook, Kaliyev, Robertson, Hughes, Krebs, Zegras, Hoglander, and Puistola.

So pretty much every realistic target + a few others. So why no Boldy?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My mock for the top15:

:devilsJack Hughes
:rangersKaapo Kakko
:hawksBowen Byram
:avsTrevor Zegras
:kingsAlex Turcotte
:wingsPeyton Krebs
:sabresDylan Cozens
:edmontonKirby Dach
:ducksMatthew Boldy
:nucksPhilip Broberg
:flyersAlex Newhook
:wildCole Caufield
:panthersVasili Podkolzin
:coyotesMoritz Seider
:habsCam York
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I feel pretty good about the top7. I think Avs will want another high IQ line driver with offensive creativity, so Zegras would fit the bill there. Kings would add more speed and intensity with Turcotte. I could really see Stevie Y liking Peyton Krebs. He's in the same mold as many guys in Tampa. Not the biggest, but just really smart and a hard worker. Sabres are hard to pin down but I think Cozens could be a guy they target.

After that it gets really difficult to predict. I have no idea what Holland is thinking. Under the previous regime I would've thought for sure Kirby Dach, but with Holland at the helm I could see him looking at Americans like Caufield and Boldy, and then of course there's been some speculation lately about Broberg...hopefully he'd go with Dach in this situation though.

Then from there it's just really tough to predict what the other teams will do. I think Boldy is the type of player Anaheim usualyl likes, but I could also see them going with well, almost anyone. Broberg/Seider if they want a defenseman, but then again Cam York is a local Anaheim kid and is obviously a terrific player in his own right.

Canucks seems like a team that would be willing to roll the dice on Broberg. They hit on a huge upside kid in Pettersson, so why not try again but this time with a D? Flyers picking Newhook is just a gut feeling but I think it makes a lot of sense. Same goes for Wild and Caufield. Florida picking Podkolzin is maybe a bit lazy as most mocks have them doing that, but again it's something that makes sense. I think Coyotes want a D so I could see them taking either Seider or York here. Then whoever is still available makes sense for the Habs.

Anyway just a fun exercise. Wonder how many guys I get right on draft day. Maybe the Devils pick Kakko and it all goes south from there :laugh:

Reactions: Llamamoto

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
My mock for the top15:

:devilsJack Hughes
:rangersKaapo Kakko
:hawksBowen Byram
:avsTrevor Zegras
:kingsAlex Turcotte
:wingsPeyton Krebs
:sabresDylan Cozens
:edmontonKirby Dach
:ducksMatthew Boldy
:nucksPhilip Broberg
:flyersAlex Newhook
:wildCole Caufield
:panthersVasili Podkolzin
:coyotesMoritz Seider
:habsCam York
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I feel pretty good about the top7. I think Avs will want another high IQ line driver with offensive creativity, so Zegras would fit the bill there. Kings would add more speed and intensity with Turcotte. I could really see Stevie Y liking Peyton Krebs. He's in the same mold as many guys in Tampa. Not the biggest, but just really smart and a hard worker. Sabres are hard to pin down but I think Cozens could be a guy they target.

After that it gets really difficult to predict. I have no idea what Holland is thinking. Under the previous regime I would've thought for sure Kirby Dach, but with Holland at the helm I could see him looking at Americans like Caufield and Boldy, and then of course there's been some speculation lately about Broberg...hopefully he'd go with Dach in this situation though.

Then from there it's just really tough to predict what the other teams will do. I think Boldy is the type of player Anaheim usualyl likes, but I could also see them going with well, almost anyone. Broberg/Seider if they want a defenseman, but then again Cam York is a local Anaheim kid and is obviously a terrific player in his own right.

Canucks seems like a team that would be willing to roll the dice on Broberg. They hit on a huge upside kid in Pettersson, so why not try again but this time with a D? Flyers picking Newhook is just a gut feeling but I think it makes a lot of sense. Same goes for Wild and Caufield. Florida picking Podkolzin is maybe a bit lazy as most mocks have them doing that, but again it's something that makes sense. I think Coyotes want a D so I could see them taking either Seider or York here. Then whoever is still available makes sense for the Habs.

Anyway just a fun exercise. Wonder how many guys I get right on draft day. Maybe the Devils pick Kakko and it all goes south from there :laugh:
Interesting. The only pick I'm not sure of is Krebs to the Wings. With his achilles injury he'll miss a portion of a crucial developmental year, so I'm not sure he'll get picked that high.

Whether or not the Hawks take Byram or a center is also in question.

Reactions: B33K33PING

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think its going to go:

1. NJ - Hughes
2. NYR - Kaako
3. CHI - Byram
4. COL - Turcotte
5. LAK - Caufield
6. DET - Zegras
7. BUF - Dach
8. EDM - Boldy
9. ANA - Cozens
10. VAN - Newhook

Byram and Turcotte might flip.

Five to Eight. I just dont know. I just think Edmonton is going to pick a US player.

We will probably have a better idea once McKenzies list comes out.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Any reason why there is no public video of the Oilers interviewing Matthew Boldy?

Looking at their YouTube Channel they have interviews with Caufield, Cozens, York, Broberg, Dach, Turcotte, Newhook, Kaliyev, Robertson, Hughes, Krebs, Zegras, Hoglander, and Puistola.

So pretty much every realistic target + a few others. So why no Boldy?

I didnt realize that. Maybe they dont like him?. Maybe they do like him (and dont want others to know)?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'll take a shot at it since it's quiet at work...

NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Chi - Turcotte
Col - Byram
L.A. - Cozens
Det - Broberg
Buf - Dach
Edm - Zegras
Ana - Boldy
Van - Krebs

I think if a team reaches for a Dman, it'll be Detroit. They have a bigger need for D and have an obvious history with Swedish D so I could see Broberg or Soderstrom on their board if Byram is gone.

I debated on Cozens or Zegras for L.A., I think whichever of those two doesn't get picked by L.A. falls to the Oilers and gets picked by the Oilers. If the Red Wings take one of the top forwards, I think the Oilers take Broberg so essentially, I see Cozens, Zegras or Broberg being an Oiler.
Caufield and Podkolzin are the ultimate wild cards. Gut instinct tells me that both fall out of the top 10 but it's a very very shaky gut instinct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Chi - Turcotte
Col - Byram
L.A. - Dach
Det - Zegras
Buf - Boldy
Edm -

In no particular order, I would strongly consider Newhook if picking a forward and Broberg for defense.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Chi - Turcotte
Col - Byram
L.A. - Dach
Det - Zegras
Buf - Boldy
Edm -

In no particular order, I would strongly consider Newhook if picking a forward and Broberg for defense.

That's my worst case scenario. That's my entire top-7 gone before our pick. I would take Caufield though. Basically I have 8 guys who I really like: Kakko, Hughes, Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Zegras, Boldy, and Caufield. I just hope we get one of them.

Reactions: 780il and Beerfish

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Finally some video to show why I'm a big fan of this kid.

Non-stop motor, extremely responsible and detail-oriented, relentlessly drives the net, projectable skill and nowhere near as bad of skating as some say.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
How good is Caufield's skating? Better than Yamamoto's? I think especially small guys need great wheels in order to be successful.
It's ok. Very good edges but lacks straight line speed.

This is why I have reservations about Caufield. Really really small and isn't a standout skater...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's ok. Very good edges but lacks straight line speed.

This is why I have reservations about Caufield. Really really small and isn't a standout skater...

Reminds me a bit of Tyler Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad