Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
I am hoping the Wings or Sabres will take Broberg. I would be happy with any of these 4. My best guess :popcorn:
1. Devils- Hughes
2. Rangers- Kakko
3. Hawks- Turcotte
4. Aves- Zegras
5. Kings- Dach
6. Wings- Byram
7. Sabres- Broberg
8. Oilers- Cozens/Podkolzin/Boldy/Caufield

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
HI! I'm a Canadiens fan and I'm asking other teams fans what are the first need you have to adress with your first pick. The Canadiens needs to find a winger (powerforward or goal scorer) and secondly, a top4 D. Cheers!

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't like this Broberg talk. If we absolutely have to take a defenseman pick York. He fills a need with his puck-moving and PP ability. Broberg has neither of those and doesn't help this team in any way, shape or form.

You don't think Broberg would help this team get out of their own zone? Hes a one man breakout.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Broberg would obviously help the team, but not nearly as much as literally anyone else we pick. I still maintain we take a forward, preferably one of Zegras, Dach, Turcotte, Boldy, and Caufield.

Hey, I completely agree it would be a mistake to take a raw project like Broberg over a safer pick. I just dont think Zegras, Dach and Turcotte are there at 8.

So would Broberg really be less helpful then Caufield or Boldy. Drafting Caufield to play with McDavid would be a waste IMO. Hes the best sniper I the draft but hes a complimentary guy. We need guys to help with our second and 3rd lines. Not just stack the first line.

Just for the record I'm not in favour of drafting Broberg. I'm just keeping my mind open.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don’t see his breakout pass a strength really. He’s more of a puck transporter like Nurse.

Is that a bad thing? He needs to work on his first pass but really it doesn't have to be very good the way he plays. He just grabs the puck, makes a move and puts himself into an open lane. From there he makes a simple 5 foot pass to the forward or takes off.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Is that a bad thing? He needs to work on his first pass but really it doesn't have to be very good the way he plays. He just grabs the puck, makes a move and puts himself into an open lane. From there he makes a simple 5 foot pass to the forward or takes off.
With Bouchard and Samorukov on the horizon and our hideous stable of wingers taking a defenceman would be insanity.

Reactions: McXLNC97

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
HI! I'm a Canadiens fan and I'm asking other teams fans what are the first need you have to adress with your first pick. The Canadiens needs to find a winger (powerforward or goal scorer) and secondly, a top4 D. Cheers!

We need scoring wingers and depth at Center but a lot of talk about Broberg who is a D being high on our list too. We have a lot of good young D coming in the pipeline so we could fill some needs by drafting a D and trading a D prospect for a forward who can play now perhaps. Good luck in the draft!

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I've never been a fan of drafting for need. Just take the BPA.

I mean if Byram dropped to 8 would you pass on him because of our horrendous stable?
I can see your point, Byram won’t drop to 8 though. Hard for me to agree that Broberg is BPA at 8 as well.

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have this weird feeling that Leason will be available with our 2nd round pick.

I’d love that pick if he’s available, he’d step into a top 6 role in Bakersfield immediately.

I would love to see him get selected in the 2nd round by the Oil. I picked him at 31st for Boston in our boards mock draft.

Reactions: Llamamoto

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We need scoring wingers and depth at Center but a lot of talk about Broberg who is a D being high on our list too. We have a lot of good young D coming in the pipeline so we could fill some needs by drafting a D and trading a D prospect for a forward who can play now perhaps. Good luck in the draft!

Exactly. Moving one of our D prospects for a forward if need be is perfectly fine down the road.

If Dach and Boldy are both gone (which I doubt they would be), taking Broberg or moving back and taking York/Seider wouldn’t be a bad option.

We’d arguably have the best or at minimum top 3 group of D prospects in the NHL.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Hey, I completely agree it would be a mistake to take a raw project like Broberg over a safer pick. I just dont think Zegras, Dach and Turcotte are there at 8.

So would Broberg really be less helpful then Caufield or Boldy. Drafting Caufield to play with McDavid would be a waste IMO. Hes the best sniper I the draft but hes a complimentary guy. We need guys to help with our second and 3rd lines. Not just stack the first line.

Just for the record I'm not in favour of drafting Broberg. I'm just keeping my mind open.

Boldy is definitely not a complimentary guy.

Caufield is technically complimentary, but why is that a bad thing? He would compliment Nuge/Drai on the 2nd line as well. Imagine a guy with that shot finishing Nuge's plays. Would you take a Debrincat on the team? That's not to mention he's also right handed, which would do wonders for the team.

I think quite a few posters here are used to having playmakers working out (Drai, Nuge) , but having snipers bust (Yak, Pulju?), which makes people scared of taking snipers. The fact is that Caufield's shot is on a completely different level compared to previous guys. I agree with @Zaddy in that he has the best shot since Laine, with maybe only Wahlstrom coming close.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I would love to see him get selected in the 2nd round by the Oil. I picked him at 31st for Boston in our boards mock draft.

I would be super happy if we got him in the 2nd, he’s not that far from being NHL ready. A year in the AHL in a top 6 role then he could likely step in and play good 3rd/4th line minutes for the Oilers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Caufield is technically complimentary, but why is that a bad thing? He would compliment Nuge/Drai on the 2nd line as well. Imagine a guy with that shot finishing Nuge's plays. Would you take a Debrincat on the team? That's not to mention he's also right handed, which would do wonders for the team.

I think quite a few posters here are used to having playmakers working out (Drai, Nuge) , but having snipers bust (Yak, Pulju?), which makes people scared of taking snipers. The fact is that Caufield's shot is on a completely different level compared to previous guys. I agree with @Zaddy in that he has the best shot since Laine, with maybe only Wahlstrom coming close.

Yeah for me Caufield at 8 but if we take Broberg I won’t be too upset. Honestly though we should wind up with a good player and now that Holland is running the show we won’t have a GM pressing underdeveloped talent onto our coach anymore.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah for me Caufield at 8 but if we take Broberg I won’t be too upset. Honestly though we should wind up with a good player and now that Holland is running the show we won’t have a GM pressing hound underdeveloped talent onto our coach anymore.

Yep. At the end of the day, NHL scouts + Ken Holland know more than I do, and if they see top pairing potential in Broberg/York/Soderstrom/Seider then they should go for it. A top-pairing defensemen anywhere in the draft is a solid pick.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think it is kind of a bad thing yeah. We need guys who can catch Mcdavid full stride in the neutral zone with a perfectly placed pass. That’s the kind of thing Bouchard, Bear and to a lesser extent Jones should be able to bring but currently it’s a big weakness on the big club. I just don’t really see the argument for taking a D period. Seems backwards.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I actually like Caufield as well. I'm just saying that if we draft him, we shouldn't be penciling him in on the top line. Honestly, I dont think hes fast enough to keep up with McDavid and McDavid could use another guy that's better on the cycle.

Caufield would like sick on the powerplay. Then add Bouchard as well and that's scary good.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I actually like Caufield as well. I'm just saying that if we draft him, we shouldn't be penciling him in on the top line. Honestly, I dont think hes fast enough to keep up with McDavid and McDavid could use another guy that's better on the cycle.

Caufield would like sick on the powerplay. Then add Bouchard as well and that's scary good.

Maroon kept up fine with McDavid. With McDavid it's not really about being able to skate fast, it's about knowing where to go on the ice for him to find you. Caufield is excellent at that. Also if Caufield can keep up with Jack Hughes (who is an elite skater in his own right) then I think he'll do just fine keeping up with McDavid.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about what the Avs will do, which lead me to making this random top 16 mock. Will probably change my mind on this when I see Bobby Mac’s ranks.

1. New Jersey-Jack Hughes
2. Rangers-Kaapo Kakko
3. Chicago-Alex Turcotte
4. Colorado-Dylan Cozens
5. Los Angeles-Bowen Byram
6. Detroit-Moritz Seider
7. Buffalo-Trevor Zegras
8. Edmonton-Kirby Dach
9. Anaheim-Matthew Boldy
10. Vancouver-Alex Newhook
11. Philadelphia-Cole Caufield
12. Minnesota-Peyton Krebs
13. Florida-Vasili Podkolzin
14. Arizona-Filip Broberg
15. Montreal-Thomas Harley
16. Colorado-Spencer Knight

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You don't think Broberg would help this team get out of their own zone? Hes a one man breakout.

Not that much no. He can skate the puck up the ice. Nurse can also do that. What the Oilers need on the backend is someone who can hit a stretch pass with consistency. Broberg is not really that guy.

Reactions: Llamamoto and 780il

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about what the Avs will do, which lead me to making this random top 16 mock. Will probably change my mind on this when I see Bobby Mac’s ranks.

1. New Jersey-Jack Hughes
2. Rangers-Kaapo Kakko
3. Chicago-Alex Turcotte
4. Colorado-Dylan Cozens
5. Los Angeles-Bowen Byram
6. Detroit-Moritz Seider
7. Buffalo-Trevor Zegras
8. Edmonton-Kirby Dach
9. Anaheim-Matthew Boldy
10. Vancouver-Alex Newhook
11. Philadelphia-Cole Caufield
12. Minnesota-Peyton Krebs
13. Florida-Vasili Podkolzin
14. Arizona-Filip Broberg
15. Montreal-Thomas Harley
16. Colorado-Spencer Knight

I would be so happy if Avs (or some team ahead of the Oilers) took Cozens.

Reactions: Llamamoto and 780il

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Defenseman take forever to develop, and are a crap shoot more then FWD. See Nurse for example, we’re still trying to figure out exactly how good he can be. We have a tonne of depth options in the minors pushing in Jones,Bear,Laggeson, Persson. Also one legit high end D prospect in Bouchard. The only way we take a Dman if he’s a bonafide high end guy, the only guy I see with that in this draft is Byram.

Our forward depth on the other hand holds no high end prospects, pending how you view Pulju or he moves on. A few maybe depth players in Yamamoto, Benson, Marody.

Being that forwards are a much safer pick for the most part, and the issues mentioned above, there is no way we should be taking a defenseman

Reactions: KidLine93

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I want a forward with the 8th pick. D seem risky and I feel good bout Jones, Bouchard, Samorukov. We don't have any sure things on forward. Im hoping Yamamoto,Puljujarvi and Benson can figure something out.

I'd be more than Happy with Caufield/Dach/Zegras/Boldy at 8.

I just hope we don't try to be the smartest guy in the room and go off the board.

Reactions: B33K33PING
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad