Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
16-20ish i’d take him. I feel like at 10-15 a good forward would slip and still be available. Someone too good to turn down.

Every year you have a couple off the board picks into the top 10, no one expected Wahlstrom to fall out of the top 10 last year, Dobson either. Broberg to me will go in the top 10 though or just after, for the same reason Hayton climbed last year. Not enough players at his position, and despite what some teams say, if they want a Dman Broberg is the second best in the draft.

We have some good young D, would think we shouldn’t be looking at a Dman till the second pick in this draft

Reactions: MessierII

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Broberg at 8.. ehhhh. I'm not buying what Bob is selling here. I dont hate Broberg but hes 2-3 years away minimum. He doesnt move the puck better then Soderstrom or Sieder. He doesnt do anything elite except put on the burners. Hes big and fast and has decent IQ when it comes to reading the play however I see a good player that does nothing elite and wont be better then a #3 Dman. Hes more of a risk then Boldy/Krebs and maybe on par with Caufield. This makes zero sense to me and I hope I'm wrong but I think it would be a massive mistake to take him over Boldy. If Holland thinks hes got a something here I just dont see it... hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
You just described Darnell Nurse, not Philip Broberg. Broberg has some nice hands and offensive instincts. I look at him like a better skating Klefbom which is a hell of a player.

Broberg does not have nice hands, and his offensive instincts are nothing to talk about.

Using Bob Stauffer's mock draft, I would definitely take Matthew Boldy.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It sucks to once again - be more excited for the draft than for game 7 of a Stanley Cup Final.

Is this the year to trade the pick?

Only if we get a young top-6 winger back, (Anthony Mantha, Nik Ehlers....). There are some good options at #8.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We’ve discussed Broberg a lot for Dmen, but what about Soderstrom?

Played in the SHL this year, right shot. Smaller Dman though. Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him outside of the Hlinka-Gretzky and U-18s. When I was watching Sweden I tended to focus more on Broberg and the 2020 dynamos Raymond and Holtz.

Anyone have thoughts on Soderstrom? I’m fully on the Dach or Boldy train but if we’re discussing Dmen is Soderstrom in the convo? His numbers against his peer group in Sweden are excellent.

Reactions: tinfish

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nurse was higher ceiling prospect than Broberg currently is in his draft year. There's a very good chance Broberg never does what Nurse did this season.

While there’s a chance of it. Broberg has all the tools you’d want in a #1 dman. He definitely has higher upside then Nurse did. One media guy said he had higher upside then Bouchard. I think with Samorukov and Broberg on the left side we’d be set for a long long time.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB

Played in the SHL this year, right shot. Smaller Dman though. Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him outside of the Hlinka-Gretzky and U-18s. When I was watching Sweden I tended to focus more on Broberg and the 2020 dynamos Raymond and Holtz.

Anyone have thoughts on Soderstrom? I’m fully on the Dach or Boldy train but if we’re discussing Dmen is Soderstrom in the convo? His numbers against his peer group in Sweden are excellent.
Everyone is enamoured with Brobergs speed, and skating ability they tend to value him higher then Soderstrom. Soderstrom needs to develop physically a bit more in order to help him win more battles. He moves the puck better in my eyes then Broberg and makes a good strong first pass. However if I had to pick between the two I would take Broberg solely because of his skating is honestly one of the best in the draft. Just dont like him over a forward.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Think our choices at 8 are Caufield/Cozens/Newhook/Broberg/Podkolzin.

Caufield: small, one shot killer, incredible release.

Cozens: big, fast, right shot center.

Broberg: good wheels. Don't know much else about him.

Podkolzin: haven't seen anything that makes him stand out. Very much a Lawson Crouse clone.

Newhook: center, fast, and dynamic. Reminds me so much of Barzal.

Please Ken Holland, take him if he's there.

Have you watched him play? His hands are fine. He’s not Letang for sure, but he’s as good as Klefbom.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I wouldn't have him in the conversation for #8, but I definitely have him ahead of Broberg.

He oozes hockey sense, has projectable offensive tools, has near elite mobility and is already very good defensively. The only thing Broberg has on him is size(6'3'' 200lbs vs 6'0'' 182lbs) and straight line speed.

For some reason there seems to be this notion that Broberg has huge upside based on his speed and being raw(another word for bad, in my book) in many aspects. Look at the top defensemen joining the league. Does that sound like Heiskanen, Provorov, Chabot, etc? No. They were polished guys who are excelling because of hockey sense, skill and mobility.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Broberg does not have good hands at all.

He can make a play and protect the puck. That’s what you want from a dman. As I said he doesn’t have hands like Letang, but they’re hardly bad. He just looks awkward because he’s so tall

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I wouldn't have him in the conversation for #8, but I definitely have him ahead of Broberg.

He oozes hockey sense, has projectable offensive tools, has near elite mobility and is already very good defensively. The only thing Broberg has on him is size(6'3'' 200lbs vs 6'0'' 182lbs) and straight line speed.

For some reason there seems to be this notion that Broberg has huge upside based on his speed and being raw(another word for bad, in my book) in many aspects. Look at the top defensemen joining the league. Does that sound like Heiskanen, Provorov, Chabot, etc? No. They were polished guys who are excelling because of hockey sense, skill and mobility.

The Broberg I saw wasn’t raw... he looked like a commanding young dman.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He can make a play and protect the puck. That’s what you want from a dman. As I said he doesn’t have hands like Letang, but they’re hardly bad. He just looks awkward because he’s so tall
His hockey sense is very questionable. He shouldn't be in the conversation at 8, in my opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad