Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn't have him in the conversation for #8, but I definitely have him ahead of Broberg.

He oozes hockey sense, has projectable offensive tools, has near elite mobility and is already very good defensively. The only thing Broberg has on him is size(6'3'' 200lbs vs 6'0'' 182lbs) and straight line speed.

For some reason there seems to be this notion that Broberg has huge upside based on his speed and being raw(another word for bad, in my book) in many aspects. Look at the top defensemen joining the league. Does that sound like Heiskanen, Provorov, Chabot, etc? No. They were polished guys who are excelling because of hockey sense, skill and mobility.

Skating ability is obviously crucial for Dmen, but I really value puck moving ability and transition play from Dmen more than ever.

15 years ago I valued size, toughness, and Dmen who bullied the opponent physically.

Now it’s all about quick decisions and puck movement up ice before the forecheck can even get there. Sadly we haven’t had that on our team in forever.

That’s why for all his faults defensively, Bouchard is a guy in 2-3 years who will be a mainstay. His breakouts and stretch passes are what will keep him from being hemmed in his own zone like a guy like Russell finds himself routinely in (the type of reads Bouchard can make under pressure requires elite hockey sense and an unteachable trait of spatial anticipation and intuition).

It’s easier and faster to move the puck up ice with a single 50-100 foot pass tape to tape than it is to lug the puck up ice. Those skills don’t diminish with age either.

Size and skating are nice always, but really those unteachable traits of spatial awareness/anticipation and intuition for lack of a better word that elite puck movers have are more important.

Anyways, that was more a philosophical viewpoint than anything in particular to Soderstrom.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
For those who have watched Broberg a decent amount how does he compare to a young Hedman? Swedish D with size and skating sounds familiar although I know Hedman was bigger.

I won’t be upset with Broberg at 8, would set us for D for a long time imo. but looking at current roster and prospects Holland is gonna have to be very creative getting top 6 forwards for this team if he decides to take a dman at 8.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
For those who have watched Broberg a decent amount how does he compare to a young Hedman? Swedish D with size and skating sounds familiar although I know Hedman was bigger.

I won’t be upset with Broberg at 8, would set us for D for a long time imo. but looking at current roster and prospects Holland is gonna have to be very creative getting top 6 forwards for this team if he decides to take a dman at 8.

He bases his game on Hedmans. In saying that Hedman is bigger, more physical, better stretch pass and more accurate shot. To be fair Hedman went 2nd overall.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
His hockey sense is very questionable. He shouldn't be in the conversation at 8, in my opinion
The lack of hockey sense notion for Broberg really seems to be a case of pack mentality. Someone said it once and then it just keeps getting repeated and repeated, even though it really isn’t true. I was expecting to see glaring issues in that aspect of his game when I watched but they just weren’t there.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
He bases his game on Hedmans. In saying that Hedman is bigger, more physical, better stretch pass and more accurate shot. To be fair Hedman went 2nd overall.
Yeah I remember Hedman as a prospect, it’s tough to match up with that. I havnt really seen much of Broberg at all but sounds like a project that could pay out bigger than any of the forwards available.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah I remember Hedman as a prospect, it’s tough to match up with that. I havnt really seen much of Broberg at all but sounds like a project that could pay out bigger than any of the forwards available.

I’d say he’s at least as good as any forward available. I take him or Boldy if they’re there when we pick.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

In some regards drafting high end Dmen makes it easier to acquire a winger.

Moving a guy like Jones or Bear would fetch a good young forward. The reality is that Dmen hold tremendous value, far more than wingers do.

To be clear I’m not advocating moving either of them, just that option is available and that would be for immediate help rather than a winger in this draft who will be 2-3 years away.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
So Broberg is there, but surely to God we can find a fast track forward at 8 that can make an impact. I get the never draft for need crowd, but is Broberg really going to be better than these forwards? Maybe he is middle of the pack, some will be better some will be worse. We need the high end forward, dont we?

If the braintrust can look the fanbase in the eye and say this guy is going to be a more impactful player than any of the remaining Fs, i will buy in, but that seems unlikely.

Reactions: McDrai

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Broberg isn't the worst idea but its also not the best player available. Top 10 you should always go BPA and that's not what Broberg is at that position

Reactions: B33K33PING

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So Broberg is there, but surely to God we can find a fast track forward at 8 that can make an impact. I get the never draft for need crowd, but is Broberg really going to be better than these forwards? Maybe he is middle of the pack, some will be better some will be worse. We need the high end forward, dont we?

If the braintrust can look the fanbase in the eye and say this guy is going to be a more impactful player than any of the remaining Fs, i will buy in, but that seems unlikely.

Here’s Broberg’s Hlinka highlights:

This kind of highlights who he is, an elite skater who competes in all 3 zones. He tends to rely on his exceptional skating and size.

He’s more of a “puck transporter” than he is a head up ice looking for the clean breakout pass in transition. I don’t see him ever being an elite puck mover, but it’s easy to see the top 4 upside.

The raw skills are there but to me Dach, Boldy, and even Caufield bring a lot more to the table and possess higher end hockey IQ. I still prefer a forward with the first pick.

Having said that, Broberg could be the perfect type of partner for Bear or Bouchard who possess different skillsets. His elite skating and competitiveness can make up for the risks those two would take offensively and he would cover up some of their weaknesses defensively.

Broberg brings a lot to the table for our D core and he shouldn’t be dismissed. If Dach and Boldy are gone I’d be fine with it.

Jones-Bear
Samorukov-Bouchard
Broberg-x

That would be a deadly group to work with in Bakersfield and arguably one of the best group of D prospects in the NHL. Hard to believe but seriously that is an excellent group waiting to takeover, I can’t remember ever being that loaded with D prospects.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I said the pick is going to be Broberg like months ago. Now it's going to happen. You guys are underrating Broberg's value. I'll be happy with that pick. Send him to juniors for next season. In a few years, this kid is going to be worth more than Dach, Caulfield, Krebs and whatever players ranked at around this area.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
If we take Broberg over Turcotte, Dach, or Cozens I think it would be a huge mistake. I'd take Soderstrom over Broberg. They're both very good young defenders, but that R shot defender is so valuable. Broberg won't be a better defender than Klefbom or Nurse for a few years. Our RD is still pretty barron. Larsson/bouchard/bear pretty much. Benning is a turd. I'd still take any of those 3 forwards over Soderstrom. Unless Byram is there I'm taking a forward.

Reactions: nuck

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
If they take Broberg at 8 I'm going to have to re-evaluate my scouting skills hahah I just watched and re-read all the reports on him I could find and I'm still coming up short on why he would go in the top 12. He's mediocre at alot of things that make up a elite Defender. I'm hoping there's more to his game then maybe I can see. Either that or I'm hoping the draft unfolds in such a way Holland has a forward ranked higher. If Holland is so high on Broberg you have to think Detroit is still at least putting in the homework on Broberg. Wonder if Zadina over Huges makes Holland approach things at least a little differently.

2019 Draft Preview: Philip Broberg - The Copper & Blue
This article pretty much sums up my concerns about him and picking him at 8.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
To draft someone because they are big and can skate is honestly one of the worst things you can do. There has to be more substance to a players game than that.

Broberg at best will be a #3D imo, and he is many years away from getting there. Picking him just makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Beerfish

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Why would you draft a D when the organization is flush with defensive prospects and we are still waiting on Pulj/Yammo to look like NHL contributors?

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Have you watched him play? His hands are fine. He’s not Letang for sure, but he’s as good as Klefbom.
Watched him just once at the U18's. Button mentioned he's the best skating d-man in this draft. He wheeled around the ice pretty good but this is just limited viewing.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Broberg doesnt make sense at 8 at all.
a) defensive prospects are not a "need" for us
b) he is not close to BPA at that spot

Please be fake news :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad