Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Chi - Turcotte
Col - Byram
L.A. - Dach
Det - Zegras
Buf - Boldy
Edm -

In no particular order, I would strongly consider Newhook if picking a forward and Broberg for defense.

I would take cozens here pretty easily. I think we see him fall to us at 8.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Interesting. The only pick I'm not sure of is Krebs to the Wings. With his achilles injury he'll miss a portion of a crucial developmental year, so I'm not sure he'll get picked that high.

Whether or not the Hawks take Byram or a center is also in question.

Every list has Krebs in the #6-9 range so I think he'd be a great pick there, and as I said I feel like he's the type of guy Yzerman would target. I think also the Wings could really use a guy like him. They have a lot of toolsy forwards but no one who is as smart as Krebs. I think he could tie that forward group together nicely. But yes, the injury may scare off teams from picking him, but then again it was only a partial tear and he is expected to be healthy by training camp, so it shouldn't be that bad. If not Krebs, I think Detroit would look at Dach.

As for Hawks and Byram, yeah...I've argued heavily for them picking a forward, but it seems everyone and their mother has Byram as the 3rd best prospect in the draft and Hawks fans seems to really want him as well. I guess with him being a lefty and Boqvist, Jokiharju and Mitchell all being right-handed shots, he would make quite a bit of sense if they really want to stack their D-core. Curious to see who they actually take though.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i think byram is the faller this draft similar to how hannifin dropped 2 spots, I think byram ends up in LA/DEt

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Personally I would like to trade back and draft Newhook while unloading a bad contract.
Something like this could make sense:

To :nucks
8th overall pick
Milan Lucic

To :edmonton
10th overall pick
Loui Eriksson

There Will most likely be a player or 2 that drops that wasnt expected to drop. That's when Holland should be working the phones and trying to unload bad contracts imo. He could even try packaging Eriksson and the 10th to move down a bit further and ridding ourselves of the 6 million completely.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Every list has Krebs in the #6-9 range so I think he'd be a great pick there, and as I said I feel like he's the type of guy Yzerman would target. I think also the Wings could really use a guy like him. They have a lot of toolsy forwards but no one who is as smart as Krebs. I think he could tie that forward group together nicely. But yes, the injury may scare off teams from picking him, but then again it was only a partial tear and he is expected to be healthy by training camp, so it shouldn't be that bad. If not Krebs, I think Detroit would look at Dach.

As for Hawks and Byram, yeah...I've argued heavily for them picking a forward, but it seems everyone and their mother has Byram as the 3rd best prospect in the draft and Hawks fans seems to really want him as well. I guess with him being a lefty and Boqvist, Jokiharju and Mitchell all being right-handed shots, he would make quite a bit of sense if they really want to stack their D-core. Curious to see who they actually take though.
Krebs and Dach both make sense for the Wings, they could use a high-end passer to play with Zadina in the future.

For all the hate he gets, Holland actually did a pretty nice job re-stacking Detroit with young talent. Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, and Bertuzzi are all young established forwards, and Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, and Berggren all have a ton of potential. Hopefully he can do the same here.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
1. New Jersey- Jack Hughes
2.New York- Kaapo Kakko
3.Chicago- Bowen Byram
4.Colorado- Alex Turcotte
5.LA- Kirby Dach
6.Detroit- Trevor Zegras
7.Buffalo- Dylan Cozens
8.Edmonton-Philip Broberg

Not my choice to take Broberg but its what I see happening. Turcotte and Byram are interchangeable at 3/4. Stauffer has mentioned a lot how much the Kings have seen Dach and when he says something like that there’s usually some substance to that.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It's ok. Very good edges but lacks straight line speed.

This is why I have reservations about Caufield. Really really small and isn't a standout skater...

@Hockey Nightmare , this is accurate, but I'd also say he has pretty great acceleration. It's his top-end speed that's a bit lacking. I'm not too concerned about Caufield's size+skating combo as he doesn't play the type of game Yamamoto did in junior - Yamamoto was all about gritty boardwork mixed with a good motor and pretty decent puck skills. Caufield is all finesse, which I think will translate a lot better at the NHL level, especially with a shot as amazing as his and puck carriers like McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH on the team. I'd also say Caufield is a better skater than Yamamoto.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
1. New Jersey- Jack Hughes
2.New York- Kaapo Kakko
3.Chicago- Bowen Byram
4.Colorado- Alex Turcotte
5.LA- Kirby Dach
6.Detroit- Trevor Zegras
7.Buffalo- Dylan Cozens
8.Edmonton-Philip Broberg

Not my choice to take Broberg but its what I see happening. Turcotte and Byram are interchangeable at 3/4. Stauffer has mentioned a lot how much the Kings have seen Dach and when he says something like that there’s usually some substance to that.
Yeah, I was just in the car and caught that.

Bob seems pretty confident in the Oilers taking Broberg, if available.

Brendan had them taking Zegras.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I was just in the car and caught that.

Bob seems pretty confident in the Oilers taking Broberg, if available.

Brendan had them taking Zegras.
Stauffer has been pretty off lately in drafting. Especially with Holland coming in, Stauffer is probably just saying anything

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Stauffer has been pretty off lately in drafting. Especially with Holland coming in, Stauffer is probably just saying anything
Yeah, I know we should take him with a grain of salt for sure, but it seems like he's pretty tight with Bob Green and Keith Gretzky.

He also said that he believed Broberg would be their pick IF Byram, Turcotte, Zegras and Dach were all taken.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This Broberg talk is fueling my nightmares.

I would Sparta kick the scout that came to me and tried to sell me on a defenseman with "Well, he's only OK defensively and he might lack every offensive tool, but man, he's big and skates really fast in a straight line".

You just described Darnell Nurse, not Philip Broberg. Broberg has some nice hands and offensive instincts. I look at him like a better skating Klefbom which is a hell of a player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You just described Darnell Nurse, not Philip Broberg. Broberg has some nice hands and offensive instincts. I look at him like a better skating Klefbom which is a hell of a player.
Nurse was higher ceiling prospect than Broberg currently is in his draft year. There's a very good chance Broberg never does what Nurse did this season.

Reactions: Llamamoto

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This Broberg talk is fueling my nightmares.

I would Sparta kick the scout that came to me and tried to sell me on a defenseman with "Well, he's only OK defensively and he might lack every offensive tool, but man, he's big and skates really fast in a straight line".
I don’t want them to pick him at 8 but you’re really selling Broberg short here.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t want them to pick him at 8 but you’re really selling Broberg short here.

There's some hyperbole, but from my viewings, I don't see the offensive upside. He has an average shot and seems to struggle to use it. He's an average passer. He has average hands.

I feel like he's getting the Podkolzin treatment. Skated through some bad teams at the U18s and put up some points off the rush and now people overrate his offensive game.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Think our choices at 8 are Caufield/Cozens/Newhook/Broberg/Podkolzin.

Caufield: small, one shot killer, incredible release.

Cozens: big, fast, right shot center.

Broberg: good wheels. Don't know much else about him.

Podkolzin: haven't seen anything that makes him stand out. Very much a Lawson Crouse clone.

Newhook: center, fast, and dynamic. Reminds me so much of Barzal.

Please Ken Holland, take him if he's there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Brobergs biggest knock by like...everyone is how he has bad hands.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There's some hyperbole, but from my viewings, I don't see the offensive upside. He has an average shot and seems to struggle to use it. He's an average passer. He has average hands.

I feel like he's getting the Podkolzin treatment. Skated through some bad teams at the U18s and put up some points off the rush and now people overrate his offensive game.
I see what you do. There is only one defender worth using a top 10 pickon and it's Byram.

It's a toss up to who #2 is and none of them are a top 10 pick

Reactions: MessierII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad