Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
WHO are the Sam Gagners of the US Program......can they actually have half a top 6 legitimately in the top 10?

I guess Caufield would be the closest? He's basically the only guy who played the majority of the season with someone better than him(Hughes).

Turcotte played most of the season with Gildon/Beniers and Moynihan except when Hughes was at the WJC.

Zegras played some LW with Hughes/Caufield, but often centered his own line.

Boldy played with Hughes early in the season, but played most of the season with Beecher and Judd Caulfield.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I guess Caufield would be the closest? He's basically the only guy who played the majority of the season with someone better than him(Hughes).

Turcotte played most of the season with Gildon/Beniers and Moynihan except when Hughes was at the WJC.

Zegras played some LW with Hughes/Caufield, but often centered his own line.

Boldy played with Hughes early in the season, but played most of the season with Beecher and Judd Caulfield.

So you think Boldy, Turcotte, and Zegras are safe?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Watched the Hlinka-Gretzky + WJC-18 highlights of Broberg. I can definitely see how he'd be the Yin to Bouchard's Yang.

Ugh I cant believe I'm starting to buy the hype. If holland truly believes Broberg will be a top pairing dmen then it would be hard to pass on him at 8.

I will say one thing I like about him is that that he is a one man breakout. Hes fast enough to get to the puck first and has the long stride and excellent angles for a big guy. He goes from behind the net or in the corners to an open lane where he can just take off. Watching him and McDavid together would be fun.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Ugh I cant believe I'm starting to buy the hype. If holland truly believes Broberg will be a top pairing dmen then it would be hard to pass on him at 8.

I will say one thing I like about him is that that he is a one man breakout. Hes fast enough to get to the puck first and has the long stride and excellent angles for a big guy. He goes from behind the net or in the corners to an open lane where he can just take off. Watching him and McDavid together would be fun.

He definitely has a lot of good qualities and a good foundation to build off. What he lacks Bouchard provides and vice versa.

Broberg
+ Elite skating ability
+ Puck rushing ability
+ Good at nifty little passes to set up give n' go plays which caters to his skating
+ Good defensively
- Can't speak much to his breakout passes, but he obviously prefers rushing the puck up ice
- Not much of a threatening shot from the point, he'll thread a wrister through traffic

Bouchard
+ Bomb of a shot, great at placing it too
+ Excellent breakout passing
+ Great vision in the offensive zone
- Skating is a work in progress
- Lacking defensively

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

I'm really liking the warming up of more and more people to Broberg.

Persson, Bouchard, Samorukov, Bear, Jones, Day, Lagesson is a really great stable going forward. But then add Broberg to that list and the future on the backend will look rock solid.

Defensemen almost always take longer to develop than forwards so building up the D prospects is a priority. In two seasons Sekera and Russell's contracts will have expired and replacements are needed. Larsson's contract will also be up at that time. What the decision is on resigning or trading makes things even more shaky if there isn't a solid prospect to step in if needed.

In two years if there's a buildup of defensemen it would be a blessing. These days trading a defenseman for a forward would be far easier than the other way round. We found that out the hard way with Taylor Hall.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Persson, Bouchard, Samorukov, Bear, Jones, Day, Lagesson is a really great stable going forward. But then add Broberg to that list and the future on the backend will look rock solid.

Defensemen almost always take longer to develop than forwards so building up the D prospects is a priority. In two seasons Sekera and Russell's contracts will have expired and replacements are needed. Larsson's contract will also be up at that time. What the decision is on resigning or trading makes things even more shaky if there isn't a solid prospect to step in if needed.

In two years if there's a buildup of defensemen it would be a blessing. These days trading a defenseman for a forward would be far easier than the other way round. We found that out the hard way with Taylor Hall.

If we had a prospect like Jones, Samorukov, or possibly Broberg make someone like Klefbomb or Nurse expendable, that's pretty good. I say that meaning that the young player is ready for those minutes, not counting chickens before they hatch.

If you're trading a young, bonafide top 4 LD you'll get either a quality top 6 F back or similar skilled RD.

Nice for team building in the sense that you can choose the D you like best, and trade the expendable D for a piece that you need most & fits best at that moment.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I’ll be disappointed if they take Broberg at 8. If they move back and pick up some extra assets that can be used to pick up help now then I’d be ok with the pick, but I personally can’t agree with taking him at 8 over the forwards.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If Holland wants a defencemen, I would prefer, York, Soderstrom, Seider, and possibly Heinola.

Soderstrom and Seider would give us a good balance in RHD/LHD:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Samorukov - Soderstrom/Seider
Jones - Bear
Lagesson - Persson

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
I’ll be disappointed if they take Broberg at 8. If they move back and pick up some extra assets that can be used to pick up help now then I’d be ok with the pick, but I personally can’t agree with taking him at 8 over the forwards.

Maybe the plan has always been to move down a bit. I could still see the Oilers and Canucks swapping 8 & 10 in any Lucic/Eriksson deal; and the incentive may be even greater now that Krebs injury potentially has 1 less impact forward sliding to the Canucks.

We slide to 10 and get Broberg, they move up 8 and pick up one of Cozens/Caufield/Boldy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe the plan has always been to move down a bit. I could still see the Oilers and Canucks swapping 8 & 10 in any Lucic/Eriksson deal; and the incentive may be even greater now that Krebs injury potentially has 1 less impact forward sliding to the Canucks.

We slide to 10 and get Broberg, they move up 8 and pick up one of Cozens/Caufield/Boldy
I don't think Lucic to Eriksson is the drop between 8 and 10. Vancouver would need to add a bit

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Broberg could be a good fit with Bouchard, but I'd much prefer if we trade down to get him. At 8 just draft a forward.

It's not looking like we can trade down to get him. Hell he might not even be available at pick number 8. If the Oilers love Broberg and want to "get there guy" then the will probably have to step up and take him at 8.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This. Right now our most skilled prospect forwards are Benson, Yamamoto, and McLeod. That’s not good enough.

We should be taking the best player available regardless of position. If the Oilers honestly believe Broberg > Boldy/Caufield/Krebs then you take him.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If Holland wants a defencemen, I would prefer, York, Soderstrom, Seider, and possibly Heinola.

Soderstrom and Seider would give us a good balance in RHD/LHD:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Samorukov - Soderstrom/Seider
Jones - Bear
Lagesson - Persson

I really like York and have him ranked above Broberg. I think he will be that Nick Leddy/ Keith Yandle type that consistently puts up points and moves the puck well. But he doesnt have that #1 potential in my mind. I dont think he will be as good defensively as broberg is.

Broberg on the other hand does have that #1 potential if he puts it all together and keeps developing. Hes so raw. I'm more of a sure thing kind of guy but if Holland thinks he can develop him into a #1, he wouldnt compliment our defense, he would be the guy we build around.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I really like York and have him ranked above Broberg. I think he will be that Nick Leddy/ Keith Yandle type that consistently puts up points and moves the puck well. But he doesnt have that #1 potential in my mind. I dont think he will be as good defensively as broberg is.

Broberg on the other hand does have that #1 potential if he puts it all together and keeps developing. Hes so raw. I'm more of a sure thing kind of guy but if Holland thinks he can develop him into a #1, he wouldnt compliment our defense, he would be the guy we build around.

I don't really see enough offensively from Broberg to be a true #1.

If he hits his potential, I think he'll be solid defensively and a monster in transition, but not really having the shot or instincts for in-zone offense.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't really see enough offensively from Broberg to be a true #1.

If he hits his potential, I think he'll be solid defensively and a monster in transition, but not really having the shot or instincts for in-zone offense.

I think this conversation could be quickly derailed if we go into "what is a number 1 dmen". Either way if Broberg does hit his potential we would be slotting him in on our top pairing with Bouchard. Having those two together for the next decade could be something special.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think this conversation could be quickly derailed if we go into "what is a number 1 dmen". Either way if Broberg does hit his potential we would be slotting him in on our top pairing with Bouchard. Having those two together for the next decade could be something special.

Agreed.

I just think you're likely to find a defenseman in that mold and ability later in the draft than you would find a forward like Zegras, Boldy, Krebs, etc.

North

Jun 25, 2009
We should be taking the best player available regardless of position. If the Oilers honestly believe Broberg > Boldy/Caufield/Krebs then you take him.

In this case the differences between players are negligible.

Even if they pick a forward, they are going to get a pretty talented player.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
In this case the differences between players are negligible.

Even if they pick a forward, they are going to get a pretty talented player.

I think defenceman are always going to be more valuable then forwards, especially wingers. So if the difference is negligible then I go defenceman.

Caufield and Boldy are wingers and Krebs is going to go through a major surgery. Who knows how well he will be able bounce back and how much time he will lose because of it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't like this Broberg talk. If we absolutely have to take a defenseman pick York. He fills a need with his puck-moving and PP ability. Broberg has neither of those and doesn't help this team in any way, shape or form.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't like this Broberg talk. If we absolutely have to take a defenseman pick York. He fills a need with his puck-moving and PP ability. Broberg has neither of those and doesn't help this team in any way, shape or form.

Broberg would obviously help the team, but not nearly as much as literally anyone else we pick. I still maintain we take a forward, preferably one of Zegras, Dach, Turcotte, Boldy, and Caufield.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Haven't watched it yet myself but here's a shift-by-shift on Cam York.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think defenceman are always going to be more valuable then forwards, especially wingers. So if the difference is negligible then I go defenceman.

Caufield and Boldy are wingers and Krebs is going to go through a major surgery. Who knows how well he will be able bounce back and how much time he will lose because of it.

Not when our prospect pool looks the way it does in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad