Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Smith- Vatanen
Byram- Severson
Greene-Butcher (he can play both sides)
Mueller

*eggplant emoji*

I like but

1. I hope Smith isn’t forced into a top pairing role next year. I would prefer a more veteran D plays above his head than to throw Smith to the wolves.

2. I don’t see Byram starting off in the nhl but if he proves me wrong then that’s great.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
A top four D of Byram/Smith/Vatanen/Severson would indeed be impressive. Also keep in mind that Jeremy Davies and Reilly Walsh both have very good upside as mid-pairing guys. Davies could challenge for a role next season, though it's unlikely that Shero and Hynes would be too enthusiastic about starting the year with two rookies (Smith will make the club) at LD. So I am assuming that Davies is signed and starts the year in Binghamton.

Whether or not the Devils get Byram in the draft, I think the blueline will be interesting to watch next year. Here would be my depth charts.

LD
1 Greene
2 Butcher
3 Smith (but he'll be #1 on this list by 2020-21)
4 Mueller
5 Yakovlev
6 Davies
7 White

RD
1 Vatanen
2 Severson
3 Santini
4 Carrick
5 Jacobs

I think the Devils will be fine going into 2019-20 with that roster at LD, but I think that with Smith and Davies entering the field, Mueller might be dangled in a trade.

At RD the Devils are certainly going to need to add someone from outside the organization. Santini and Carrick are still better suited to depth roles than 82-game seasons. I have suggested UFA RD Tyler Myers, but the most likely scenario is a trade. Knowing how badly the Devils need some size/strength/toughness on the blueline, I am very curious what it would take to get Brandon Carlo from Boston in a trade -- both he and McAvoy are RFAs and there might not be enough cap room in Beantown to afford the two of them.

Realistically, I’m thinking that Greene is shipped off at the deadline. So with that said, I hope that he is given a mid pair role or bottom 2 so that he can raise his value or st least not hurt it too much throughout the year.

Wow you are right. With the possible addition of Davies and Walsh it may be time to bundle together some players and try an upgrade. I really like Vatanen and Severson on the right side but we could definitely use some size to pair with all of our small/ offensive minded D.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You forgot Walsh on the right. I presume he'll fall somewhere at 4-5 on the list currently but may work his way up to 3 in a couple years.

I'm also not so sure about Greene at 1 on the LD depth chart. It's not that Butcher is great but that Greene's declined significantly over the past couple years, and I'd expect the same for the upcoming season.

Ha, I didn't forget Walsh, I just don't think he is signed by Shero until after the 2019-20 season. And then I don't think he competes for a role on the Devils blueline until the 2021-22 season. So, although his upside is similar to Davies', I don't think we'll be seeing him at The Rock for a few seasons yet.

I do think the Devils need to draft well at RD this year, even though it's considered a thin crop at the position. There are a couple of very intriguing sleepers who will be available in the second round. The foremost of these is Lassi Thomson of the Kelowna Rockets, whom I have the Devils drafting in the second round at the beginning of this thread. I love the kid -- he's fast, physical and can really shoot the puck; plays two ways with heart and smarts. Another high upside second-round RD candidate is Billy Constantinou -- the kid has tremendous upside and can absolutely fly, but needs a ton of work reducing turnovers and improving positioning before going pro.

I keep banging the drum that the Devils need a physical, shut-down guy at RD -- the team has no one like this in the entire organization. My foremost targets for the late second round (picks acquired from Boston and Nashville) are punishing RDs Case McCarthy, Kaeden Korczak and Antti Tuomisto (who also has very intriguing offensive upside, and may be available into the third round).

Whomever the Devils draft with their lottery pick will solidify that position for years to come. If the Devils get a C like Hughes, Cozens or Turcotte, they are set for years with that guy and Nico at 1/2C. If they get Byram, he and Smith will be an elite top 2 at LD for many years in the future. If the Devils get Kakko, he and Palmieri will be the top NJ RWs far into the future.

However, there is no RD with any chance to go in the top 8, where the Devils will be certainly picking. And RD is clearly the weakest position in the entire organization. Thus, it is my conviction that the Devils need to get a couple of very good players there with their later 6 (non-lottery) picks in the top 100. My ideal would be Thomson and then one of McCarthy/Korczak/Tuomisto.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just a few years ago, after being so excited about a future defense of:
Greene-Larsson
Merill-Severson
Gelinas-Santini
I think I'm going to refrain from counting chickens for a while.

Ha, but you'd rather have Taylor Hall winning MVP in a surprise Devils playoff season than Larsson on that top pairing, right?

Reactions: Nubmer6

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Realistically, I’m thinking that Greene is shipped off at the deadline. So with that said, I hope that he is given a mid pair role or bottom 2 so that he can raise his value or st least not hurt it too much throughout the year.

Wow you are right. With the possible addition of Davies and Walsh it may be time to bundle together some players and try an upgrade. I really like Vatanen and Severson on the right side but we could definitely use some size to pair with all of our small/ offensive minded D.

I have mentioned the possibility of UFA RD Tyler Myers, but he may be expensive and will have several suitors. This is why I'm going to keep bringing up the name of Brandon Carlo -- a young kid I think is a terrific defensive/physical defenseman. It's not impossible for the Bruins to sign both McAvoy and Carlo, but it will certainly be a challenge. I also expect Boston to try to free up money for a high-scoring F -- the Stanley Cup window for Bergeron/Chara/Marchand does not have long to remain open. There has been much written about the possibility of the B's making free agent runs at Panarin, Hayes, Simmonds -- and they do not have a boatload of cap room to play with.

So, what if Shero were to call up Bruins GM Don Sweeney and offer, say, Santini, Blake Speers and a third-round pick for Carlo and the $1.9 million Boston owes Matt Beleskey through 2019-20? I think something like this would be extremely possible to iron out.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I have mentioned the possibility of UFA RD Tyler Myers, but he may be expensive and will have several suitors. This is why I'm going to keep bringing up the name of Brandon Carlo -- a young kid I think is a terrific defensive/physical defenseman. It's not impossible for the Bruins to sign both McAvoy and Carlo, but it will certainly be a challenge. I also expect Boston to try to free up money for a high-scoring F -- the Stanley Cup window for Bergeron/Chara/Marchand does not have long to remain open. There has been much written about the possibility of the B's making free agent runs at Panarin, Hayes, Simmonds -- and they do not have a boatload of cap room to play with.

So, what if Shero were to call up Bruins GM Don Sweeney and offer, say, Santini, Blake Speers and a third-round pick for Carlo and the $1.9 million Boston owes Matt Beleskey through 2019-20? I think something like this would be extremely possible to iron out.

i would absolutely do that, but i think sweeney counters with JQ instead of speers. which i would also do

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I like but

1. I hope Smith isn’t forced into a top pairing role next year. I would prefer a more veteran D plays above his head than to throw Smith to the wolves.

2. I don’t see Byram starting off in the nhl but if he proves me wrong then that’s great.

I personally think he's ready for it, at least in terms of more than anyone else they currently have. If you put Greene in #1 role again, devils aren't winning anything.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Since we're talking about RD, I will make my "sleeper prospect of the day"...

RD Kaeden Korczak, Kelowna, WHL
This 6'3-200 beast is exactly what I look for in a second-round D -- a player who has certain elements to improve which keep him out of the first round, but with the potential to become an impact top-4 NHLer with the right coaching and development.

Korczak's foremost strength is his strength. He is an intimating force for opposing forwards to face, primarily along the boards and in the crease. He is not afraid to be a bully in his own zone. Though he's never going to be confused with Bobby Orr, he is actually very good with the puck -- his calmness and intelligence are evident, and he is never forced into turnovers. He is a very smart and accurate passer. He skates well enough to be defined as "mobile", though his explosiveness and first-step quickness can be improved. His shot is extremely hard, but he needs to work on the accuracy -- he is not good enough at getting his shot through traffic to be considered a power play threat though, again, this is an element of his game which can be worked on and improved.

Ultimately, what you have in Korczak is the kind of warrior a team needs to win. He combines shut-down defensive ability with intimidating physicality with calm puck skills and smart and accurate outlet passing. He is mobile enough to keep up with the Devils up-tempo style, but would instantly become the strongest and most physical D in the system. Korczak is certain to be picked by the second round, and has an outside chance of going in the late first. The Devils should certainly consider him with their mid-30s overall pick, but if he's available with their later pair of second-rounders, he would be a no-brainer there.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I personally think he's ready for it, at least in terms of more than anyone else they currently have. If you put Greene in #1 role again, devils aren't winning anything.

Devils are not winning the cup next year. But with a full season of Smith and a healthy Taylor Hall and an emerging Blackwood, the playoffs are certainly within reach. I also fully expect Nico to top 70+ points next year and Bratt to top 50+. I'm actually very excited about next season. But yes, I agree that the Devils could use a D or two -- hence my "get Myers!" and "get Carlo!" posts.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And RD is clearly the weakest position in the entire organization.
I have to disagree with this. I feel both Vats and Severson are better than anyone on we have on the left side, at least until Smith gets established in the NHL.

I will agree that RD is the position that most lacks depth, although C and RW may lack more QUALITY depth (I give Walsh a higher chance to develop into 2nd pairing defender than Zacha/McLeod becoming 2Cs or Anderson/Bastian becoming 2RWs, and I'd prefer to get Bratt back to LW).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I belive we would regret signing Tyler Myer.

Depends what you expect. Tyler Myers is simply just a bigger Severson. If he can't play his off side well, then it's pointless to add him as well.

I like the idea of adding him to balance out the defense, but it still doesn't fix our main problem. We need that defender, preferably LD, that can solidify a pairing and lift up Vatanen and Severson to make a legitimate first pairing.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Devils are not winning the cup next year. But with a full season of Smith and a healthy Taylor Hall and an emerging Blackwood, the playoffs are certainly within reach. I also fully expect Nico to top 70+ points next year and Bratt to top 50+. I'm actually very excited about next season. But yes, I agree that the Devils could use a D or two -- hence my "get Myers!" and "get Carlo!" posts.

I agree, but I didn't specifically mean the cup, I meant just games in general lol. Greene will be so incredibly washed up next year (he kind of already is) and playing #1 minutes will put the team in a lot of trouble.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I have to disagree with this. I feel both Vats and Severson are better than anyone on we have on the left side, at least until Smith gets established in the NHL.

I will agree that RD is the position that most lacks depth, although C and RW may lack more QUALITY depth (I give Walsh a higher chance to develop into 2nd pairing defender than Zacha/McLeod becoming 2Cs or Anderson/Bastian becoming 2RWs, and I'd prefer to get Bratt back to LW).

I was intending that to mean in terms of prospects. Top 3 at every position:
C Talvitie, McLeod, Quenneville
LW Boqvist, Maltsev, Popugayev
RW Anderson, Bastian, Zetterlund
LD Smith, Davies, Zaitsev
RD Walsh, Jacobs, then pretty much nothing

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Depends what you expect. Tyler Myers is simply just a bigger Severson. If he can't play his off side well, then it's pointless to add him as well.

I like the idea of adding him to balance out the defense, but it still doesn't fix our main problem. We need that defender, preferably LD, that can solidify a pairing and lift up Vatanen and Severson to make a legitimate first pairing.

I am forced to reply that Tyler Myers has absolutely nothing in common with Damon Severson except for the fact that they both play the same position.

In my opinion, the Devils need a RD for the roster next year. Going into the season with both Greene and Butcher at LD, Smith will fill out the third slot. Going into the season with both Vatanen and Severson at RD, that third slot is where Shero must really upgrade the blueline. Since our odds of acquiring Erik Karlsson seem pretty remote, I am banging the drum to sign a UFA like Myers or to trade for a D like Brandon Carlo. Either would not only be a huge upgrade over Mueller or Santini or Yakovlev, but they would also both add an element of size and physicality which the NJ blueline sorely lacks at the present time.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I agree, but I didn't specifically mean the cup, I meant just games in general lol. Greene will be so incredibly washed up next year (he kind of already is) and playing #1 minutes will put the team in a lot of trouble.

I would love for the Devils to deal Greene and upgrade the LD position around Butcher and Ty Smith, but I just do not think it's likely. I think it's more likely that Shero keeps those three and keeps Mueller or Yakovlev around as insurance/7th D.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t really trust their insight, but I have seen some suggest the Devils should take someone other then Byram or Cozens st their pick if available.

The Russian, Zegras, and even Dach.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Podkolzin will be our pick unless we're picking top 2 or if he's not available when we're picking.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t really trust their insight, but I have seen some suggest the Devils should take someone other then Byram or Cozens st their pick if available.

The Russian, Zegras, and even Dach.

Zegras is certainly a possibility, he is very reminiscent of Barzal who the Devils certainly regret passing on a few drafts back. Podkolzin is an outstanding player, very akin in many ways to the Tkachuk brothers, but Cozens is a power forward who is just as highly regarded by scouts, is a far superior skater, and plays C/RW. Dach is interesting in that he plays a very similar game to a young Ryan Getzlaf, just a tremendous passer with size and a power game, impossible to separate from the puck down low. But again, he is not nearly the skater that Cozens is, and is a pass-first player while Cozens is more of a shooter, which the Devils sorely need. Still, it is safe to say that the Devils lack anyone in the organization who plays a game similar to Podkolzin or Dach, which would make either of them an intriguing addition. As far as Zegras, he is the most likely of these players to be available at #7 or beyond, which makes him a definite possibility if the Devils fall in the lottery or rise in the standings.

Ultimately, if the Devils drafted any of these players they would be coming away from the draft with a player of enormous potential. But I cannot see the Devils taking any of these players if Byram or Cozens were available. Byram would instantly become the most talented D the Devils have drafted since Scott Niedermeyer, and Cozens checks all the boxes that these other forwards check while checking a few more they do not.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Podkolzin will be our pick unless we're picking top 2 or if he's not available when we're picking.

That's quite a statement. I think Podkolzin is an outstanding player with star potential. But Podkolzin has no more potential than Byram or Cozens, either of whom fit better into the Devils philosophy of skating/compete than Podkolzin, both of whom fit a greater organizational positional need than Podkolzin, and both of whom should be in the NHL in two seasons while Podkolzin could realistically still be in the KHL. So, I don't see it.

In my rankings, Byram is 3rd, Cozens 4th, and Podkolzin 6th. Here's some more noted rankers:

ISS
Byram 3, Podkolzin 4, Cozens 5

McKeens
Podkolzin 3, Cozens 4, Byram 6

Future Considerations
Podkolzin 3, Byram 4, Cozens 7

Corey Pronman (The Athletic)
Cozens 3, Podkolzin 5, Byram 8

Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)
Cozens 3, Byram 7, Podkolzin 14

Dobber Hockey
Podkolzin 3, Cozens 4, Byram 5

TSN
Podkolzin 3, Cozens 5, Byram 6

Sportsnet
Podkolzin 3, Cozens 4, Byram 6

I think that, looking at the consensus rankings, we can say that Podkolzin has a slight edge over Byram and Cozens. But very very slight. But it is important not to see draft ranking and draft value as interchangeable. Byram is far and away the best D in this draft, this will drive his draft value upwards. Podkolzin has shown little interest in rushing to North America, this will drive down his draft value. Cozens can play center or right wing, this will drive up his draft value.

These are some reasons why, in my latest mock draft, I have Podkolzin going outside the top 5. It is not a knock on him as a player. Let's assume that the draft order stays in the current positional standings (COL, LA, DET, NJ, ANH, NYR, EDM). We can all agree that Hughes and Kakko go one-two. After this, Detroit is certainly a possibility to take Podkolzin. But, like the Devils, their biggest organizational needs are at D and C. So would they take him over Byram or Cozens or Dach? It's not outside the realm of possibility, but it's not a lock by any means.

So, let's say the Wings go with Byram, filling an enormous need on their blueline. Now the Devils are up. The Devils have desperate needs for centers, right-shooting-forwards, shoot-first forwards, top six forwards with size -- and the Devils love players with speed and high compete levels. While Podkolzin checks three of those boxes (top-six Fs with size, shoot-first Fs and high compete levels), Cozens checks all of them. Since their rankings are virtually identical, why would the Devils go with a slower, left-shooting winger who cannot play center and may not come to North America for three seasons?

So, let's say the Devils go with Cozens. Next up is the Anaheim Ducks. Quick quiz: who was the last Russian skater who the Anaheim Ducks drafted? Well, I'll give you the answer. Stanislav Chistov, in the 1st round, in 2001.

IN 2001. In Two-Thousand-Frickin'-One. That is, coincidentally, the year in which Vasili Podkolzin was born. As poetic as that is, I still say that the Ducks would, in this scenario, take Kirby Dach, who very much fits into their philosophy of very large, physical players, while filling their biggest organizational hole at center, while he can be mentored by the player he is most commonly compared to in Ryan Getzlaf.

I will say that the Rangers would certainly draft Podkolzin 6th.

My point is, my hypothetical is just a hypothetical. Maybe the Wings take Podkolzin third, who knows how their scouts have ranked the class of 2019? But to say that the Devils, or any of these teams, would be a lock to take Podkolzin at #3 is simply baseless. He has shown no clear talent superiority to Byram or Cozens (or even Dach, in most scouts eyes) and plays at a less crucial position and has not answered questions about when he is coming to North America. Thus, we can safely posit that Podkolzin is certainly a possibility to be drafted at #3 overall, but he is also the most likely of these three players to fall in the draft.

Reactions: My3Sons

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If we're not picking 1st or 2nd overall, here's my top #5 wish list...

1- Bowen Byram
Byram is an exceptional dman and adding a potential top pairing dman has been a need of ours since the departure of Niedermayer and Stevens
2- Dylan Cozens
Shero is building a fast team and Cozens can fly. He has elite speed, a big frame, a high compete level and can shoot the puck... what's not to like.
3- Alex Turcotte
This is prospect I had my eye on for over a year but with his injury, he kind of fell off the radar for a while. With that said, Turcotte is the definition of a complete hockey player. When I see him play, I think of Bergeron/Toews/Zetterberg and a 1-2 punch of Hischier-Turcotte down the middle would be every coaches dream since both guys think the game at an elite level.
4- Vasili Podkolzin
He's not your prototypical Russian. He's a bull in a china shop and has elite offensive skills. His 2 way game is also very solid and he's lethal on the PP.
5- Kirby Dach
This kid is a right shot playmaking center with a big frame. Again, we need size in our top #6 and his skating isn't elite but you don't need speed when you have his vision. When I see him play, I think of Jumbo Joe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad