Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Let's just hope we win the lottery or get the 2nd overall so we get a sure fire NHL:er.

With the way this team drafts in the first rounds I wouldn't dare to count on any of the other players becoming star players for us.

I don't want any more Zachas and McLeods on this team.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I agree with dk on this, because (as we all know and repeat a bunch) Shero and Castron are building the Devils as a speed based team. They value elite skating very highly, especially at the top of the draft. Podkolzin, Dach and Boldy are decent skaters, but Byram, Cozens, Tucotte, Zegras and Krebs are all elite in this respect. It is for this reason that I believe Podkolzin, Dach and Boldy are unlikely to be the Devils top pick -- quite simply they will be higher on other teams' draft boards than the Devils' own board.

While we're on this topic, I'd say that Podkolzin, Krebs and Boldy are also left-shot wingers, which is the foremost strength in the Devils organization. So they would need to be a clear-cut higher ranking by the NJ scouting team in order to be drafted when any of Byram, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Dach were available.

This is the basis of my (oft-repeated) opinion that, if the Devils pick anywhere in their likely range of 3-8, they will come away from the 2019 draft with one of Byram, Cozens, Turcotte or Zegras.

I personally think the whole speed thing gets overblown a bit, even though I see it is a quality they value in players. But looking at the past few drafts with them at the helm, it hasn't been all speed, all the time - nor should it be. McLeod is a burner, Nico is fast as well but I mean it was between him and Patrick and there were other qualities I'm sure they liked more than just his skating in that scenario. Smith is a fluid skater, I wouldn't call him fast though.

I agree with the latter two, I don't think Dach or Boldy would be on the Devils' radar, but I think Podkolzin's strengths in other areas make up for him not being the fleetest of foot. And I know there might be a case to draft for need, as well as thinking about BPA, but to not draft Podkolzin/Krebs based on team needs would be a mistake (depending on where we end up/who's still available of course) and I trust Shero/Castron to just go with who they think is BPA regardless.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Question for y'all - how is the qual of comp between USHL and Liiga? I feel like i value Kakko's skills more than what i've seen from hughes, especially so bc he's playing with big men. also bc of size. and his stickwork in tight spaces

i'll admit that i'm charmed by the flashiness and skill of kakko, but what's the appeal of hughes? just his very solid play?

I'm not that into highlight reels, but that is pretty impressive. I expect the high end skills (the hands really look real nice) for such a high pick, but the physicality, from a kid playing in a men's league really stands out.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
man i don't understand twitter but I think that jimmy gallants response was to this:

I don't believe this. RW Cole Caufield just scored 59 seconds into the game for his 7th goal in 4 periods. He's now 3 goals from tying Auston Matthews for the single season goal record (55). @USAHockeyNTDP 1-0

and not the thing about hughes.

It was. I was confused too so I went back and looked. This was about Caufields 7 goals in 4 periods not Hughes' stats.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Let's just hope we win the lottery or get the 2nd overall so we get a sure fire NHL:er.

With the way this team drafts in the first rounds I wouldn't dare to count on any of the other players becoming star players for us.

Zacha was drafted by the previous regime - the people responsible for his selection are gone.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011

I’m still hopeful Zacha develops more from an offensive standpoint and is a late bloomer like Couturier. I haven’t given up on the kid. He has a wicked shot and some tools are there. Even if he doesn’t, at worst he appears to be a solid third line center who is an asset on the PK. With that said, I understand why that would be considered a disappointment (you can include me on that sentiment) for a 1.6 draft pick. It’s completely reasonable to compare him to Barzal/Rantanen/Provorov/Werenski and other players selected around him. And yes, it’s frustrating that he hasn’t developed quickly like the others. With that said, he’s still just 21...he hasn’t reached his ceiling yet...at least one would hypothesize.

The problem during this draft was Shero and company were just coming in and had to defer to the clueless Conte. Based on various reports, Conte was ademant about Zacha being the pick...to the point in which a trade down was not even seriously considered (although realistically, he probably would have been available several spots later). Quite frankly, Zacha was overdrafted IMHO and now he is scrutinized more since he was the pick 1.6 as compared to say the pick 1.12. I have little doubt Barzal would have been the selection if it was Shero’s ultimate call but seems like there was a power struggle on Lou/Conte’s way out. It’s unfortunate but what’s done is done. It doesn’t serve us any good to pine over the previously aforementioned players as it’s an exercise that will prove maddening. Let’s be glad Conte is out and we have an excellent head scout in place now. I have tremendous confidence in Castron.

Last edited:

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I’m still hopeful Zacha develops more from an offensive standpoint and is a late bloomer like Couturier. I haven’t given up on the kid. He has a wicked shot and some tools are there. Even if he doesn’t, at worst he appears to be a solid third line center who is an asset on the PK. With that said, I understand why that would be considered a disappointment (you can include me on that sentiment) for a 1.6 draft pick. It’s completely reasonable to compare him to Barzal/Rantanen/Provorov/Werenski and other players selected around him. And yes, it’s frustrating that he hasn’t developed quickly like the others. With that said, he’s still just 21...he hasn’t reached his ceiling yet...at least one would hypothesize.

The problem during this draft was Shero and company were just coming in and had to defer to the clueless Conte. Based on various reports, Conte was ademant about Zacha being the pick...to the point in which a trade down was not even seriously considered (although realistically, he probably would have been available several spots later). Quite frankly, Zacha was overdrafted IMHO and now he is scrutinized more since he was the pick 1.6 as compared to say the pick 1.12. I have little doubt Barzal would have been the selection if it was Shero’s ultimate call but seems like there was a power struggle on Lou/Conte’s way out. It’s unfortunate but what’s done is done. It doesn’t serve us any good to pine over the previously aforementioned players as it’s an exercise that will prove maddening. Let’s be glad Conte is out and we have an excellent head scout in place now. I have tremendous confidence in Castron.

When Shero was talking with Columbus about trading down, Conte reportedly said he would kill him if Zacha wasn’t available. Zacha was Conte’s guy, probably after Hanifin (and excluding McDavid and Eichel).

The GM is ultimately in charge, but it was very unlikely that Conte would be overruled. Of course Shero brought in his own people after that.

Conte still probably thinks you win with guys like Milan Lucic and Eric Gudbranson, which is why Castron has been better for the organization almost by default.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Zacha was drafted by the previous regime - the people responsible for his selection are gone.

Also, some people think that right now the Devils have some magic late round draft pick formula but somehow can’t figure out a first round draft pick.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
When Shero was talking with Columbus about trading down, Conte reportedly said he would kill him if Zacha wasn’t available. Zacha was Conte’s guy, probably after Hanifin (and excluding McDavid and Eichel.

yeah i heard conte picked up his butter knife and did the throat slash motion at shero right before the pick

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Haha, yeah. I'll be trying to mention as many of these mid-round guys as possible leading up to the draft, and Cajkovic can really dazzle.

I don't know if I'd take him at #35 overall if a top C or D fell. At C, I am a huge fan of Philip Tomasino (he's recently entered my top 15, though I have yet to see him in anyone else's) and I'm really starting to like Yegor Spirodonov. Either could still be around at #35. I am also a huge fan of US-NTDP pivot John Beecher, but I can't see him falling to the second round even though several scouting bureaus have underhanded him there. At D, there are several offensive D with upside who could be available at #35 (Lassi Thomson, Billy Constantinou, Marshall Warren, Tobias Bjornfot). I would rather the Devils utilize their two top picks to get a high-upside talent at a position of greater organizational need and then shoot for high-upside wingers with their later 5 picks in the top 100.

I tend to agree, though I think it's important to remember that organizational need can change very quickly. In the 2015 draft, Ray and Conte likely thought we were set at defense, so we passed on Provorov/Werenski to take Zacha. Look at us now. Biggest need is a top pairing LHD which both Provorov and Werenski are.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Obviously if we luck out and get the 1st or 2nd pick they are no brainers, Hughes and Kakko. Byram is my number 3 followed by Cozens, Turcotte, and Zegras. Of those 4 listed after Hughes and Kakko, how close are they to stepping in next year?

We have a legitimate top line and 3rd line:
Hall-Hischier-Palmeri
Wood-Zajac-Coleman

Byram is my 3rd choice as we need a #1 LD and getting a 2nd line center or winger through a trade or FA is easier than a #1 LD.

If Byram is gone 2nd line possibilities:
Bratt-Zacha-Cozens
Zacha-Turcotte/Zegras-Bratt

I think Byram and Ty Smith coming in next year if possible and a trade/free agent legitimate 2nd line winger or center with Bratt and Zacha would be the quickest turn around.

I must say that I don't think Byram, Cozens or Turcotte make the NHL next year. Whomever the Devils draft, Shero needs to make some moves via trade or free agency to fill second-line and D roles.

Personally, I want to see the Devils go after Tyler Myers as a UFA. Our blueline is very small and Myers would change that, plus he is very mobile and good with the puck which fits in with organizational philosophy. I believe he's only 29, so in a 5 year deal we would not need worry about decline.

As far as the second line, the Devils need to use their cap space to get creative. Look at the cap-strapped teams, for starters. If the Devils took Ryan Callahan's deal off Tampa's hands, would there also be a chance of getting Gourde or Cirelli in that deal? Tampa simply can't afford to fortify their blueline while paying $6 million in 2019-20 to Callahan.

And what about Toronto? They are going to need a lot of cap space to sign Marner and fill out their own blueline (3 UFAs). If the Devils take the last year of the dead Nathan Horton contract, could they also get another Leafs RFA in Kasperi Kapanen on the cheap? It's quite possible.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

The Devils, under Shero and Castron, have been in power for three drafts with the Devils.

In 2016, seeing the players they wanted drafted above them, they traded down and took the best skater in the draft in Mikey McLeod. Though this does not look like the best pick in retrospect, McLeod is still barely 21 years old and has the potential to be a very good mid-6 speedster with two-way play and some scoring pop. In is also important to note that the Devils made astute selections in the third round (Anderson), fourth round (Maltsev), fifth round (Rykov), sixth round (Bratt) and seventh round (Davies).

In 2017, the Devils settled the "Nico v Nolan" argument by taking Hischier first overall, which any expert would agree now was the correct pick.

In 2018, the Devils took Ty Smith at #17. If the draft were held again today, not even nine months later, Ty Smith would likely be a top 10 pick.

I think after nailing 2 out of 3 first-round picks and three out of three drafts, Shero and Castron should be applauded for their work, rather than admonished for it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I tend to agree, though I think it's important to remember that organizational need can change very quickly. In the 2015 draft, Ray and Conte likely thought we were set at defense, so we passed on Provorov/Werenski to take Zacha. Look at us now. Biggest need is a top pairing LHD which both Provorov and Werenski are.

Ty Smith will be a #1 LHD. But I still take Byram, if possible.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Devils, under Shero and Castron, have been in power for three drafts with the Devils.

In 2016, seeing the players they wanted drafted above them, they traded down and took the best skater in the draft in Mikey McLeod. Though this does not look like the best pick in retrospect, McLeod is still barely 21 years old and has the potential to be a very good mid-6 speedster with two-way play and some scoring pop. In is also important to note that the Devils made astute selections in the third round (Anderson), fourth round (Maltsev), fifth round (Rykov), sixth round (Bratt) and seventh round (Davies).

In 2017, the Devils settled the "Nico v Nolan" argument by taking Hischier first overall, which any expert would agree now was the correct pick.

In 2018, the Devils took Ty Smith at #17. If the draft were held again today, not even nine months later, Ty Smith would likely be a top 10 pick.

I think after nailing 2 out of 3 first-round picks and three out of three drafts, Shero and Castron should be applauded for their work, rather than admonished for it.

After a meh start to his pro career BASTIAN has started looking bettter as well from 2016.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
As far as the second line, the Devils need to use their cap space to get creative. Look at the cap-strapped teams, for starters. If the Devils took Ryan Callahan's deal off Tampa's hands, would there also be a chance of getting Gourde or Cirelli in that deal? Tampa simply can't afford to fortify their blueline while paying $6 million in 2019-20 to Callahan.

And what about Toronto? They are going to need a lot of cap space to sign Marner and fill out their own blueline (3 UFAs). If the Devils take the last year of the dead Nathan Horton contract, could they also get another Leafs RFA in Kasperi Kapanen on the cheap? It's quite possible.

Would love to use cap space to grab Raddysh or Kapanen....or both.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
After a meh start to his pro career BASTIAN has started looking bettter as well from 2016.

Bastian has the potential to be a very good, bottom-6 power RW. Joey Anderson has even higher upside as a mid-6 RW comparable to prime-era Ryan Callahan. And Kyle Palmieri should be an impact top-6 RW for the Devils for several seasons to come. It would be nice to use this offseason to get one more top-6 RW to join them.

As I've mentioned before, word out of Toronto is that, after signing RFA Mitch Marner, there might not be enough left under the cap for RFA Kasperi Kapanen. He would be a great fit in NJ, and the Leafs might send him to the Devils cheap if the Devils were also willing to take on the final year of Nathan Horton's dead contract.

Another name I'm going to mention a ton this off-season is Jason Zucker. He is extremely underrated, I would say one of the most underrated Fs in the NHL. He can play either wing with two-way acumen, but he is blazingly fast and plays with an enormous compete level. His skill is very good, and he could be a perfect fit for the Devils current system. As Minnesota GM Paul Fenton routinely gets fleeced in trades and was rumored to be shopping Zucker at the deadline, it would not shock me if Zucker could be creatively acquired without giving up a top-5 Devils prospect or top-2 round pick.

So let's just say the Devils can land one of these two terrific young wingers. What would the top 3 lines look like?

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Zacha-Zucker/Kapanen
Wood-Zajac-Coleman

The 4th line would certainly be some combo of McLeod, Anderson, Bastian, Agostino, Quenneville, Boqvist, Studenic, Sharangovich etc to be determined in training camp.

This would be a slight improvement over opening day 2018, but not a huge one. A huge improvement would be upgrading from Zacha at 2nd line center, then moving Zacha down to 4C, where he would be outstanding and still be a huge part of the Devils PK unit.

Who would fit the Devils needs for a 2C? We all know how difficult they are to trade for. Well, what about the UFA market?

The name which immediately jumps out is Matt Duchene, but knowing his history he will likely ask for a max contract north of $8 million per, something I would give Taylor Hall but not Duchene. But I would look to the second best center on the market, one who still owns a home nearby -- Kevin Hayes.

Though Hayes does not have the speed the Devils' brass covets, he is basically the type of player the Devils hope Zacha blossoms into right now. I would guess a 5-year deal in the $6 million range would get him, and he's still only 27. I'm not saying he would sign with NJ (especially if his hometown Bruins empty the coffers), but it's worth a shot. Because what would my 2019-20 Devils lines look like now?

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hayes-Zucker/Kapanen
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Agostino-Zacha-Anderson

I'm pretty sure that's a playoff caliber set of lines right there. Plus, the Devils would still have a ton of cap space left to add an impact D.

Someone tell Shero that I have two jobs, but could still find time to moonlight for him.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Bastian has the potential to be a very good, bottom-6 power RW. Joey Anderson has even higher upside as a mid-6 RW comparable to prime-era Ryan Callahan. And Kyle Palmieri should be an impact top-6 RW for the Devils for several seasons to come. It would be nice to use this offseason to get one more top-6 RW to join them.

As I've mentioned before, word out of Toronto is that, after signing RFA Mitch Marner, there might not be enough left under the cap for RFA Kasperi Kapanen. He would be a great fit in NJ, and the Leafs might send him to the Devils cheap if the Devils were also willing to take on the final year of Nathan Horton's dead contract.

Another name I'm going to mention a ton this off-season is Jason Zucker. He is extremely underrated, I would say one of the most underrated Fs in the NHL. He can play either wing with two-way acumen, but he is blazingly fast and plays with an enormous compete level. His skill is very good, and he could be a perfect fit for the Devils current system. As Minnesota GM Paul Fenton routinely gets fleeced in trades and was rumored to be shopping Zucker at the deadline, it would not shock me if Zucker could be creatively acquired without giving up a top-5 Devils prospect or top-2 round pick.

So let's just say the Devils can land one of these two terrific young wingers. What would the top 3 lines look like?

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Zacha-Zucker/Kapanen
Wood-Zajac-Coleman

The 4th line would certainly be some combo of McLeod, Anderson, Bastian, Agostino, Quenneville, Boqvist, Studenic, Sharangovich etc to be determined in training camp.

This would be a slight improvement over opening day 2018, but not a huge one. A huge improvement would be upgrading from Zacha at 2nd line center, then moving Zacha down to 4C, where he would be outstanding and still be a huge part of the Devils PK unit.

Who would fit the Devils needs for a 2C? We all know how difficult they are to trade for. Well, what about the UFA market?

The name which immediately jumps out is Matt Duchene, but knowing his history he will likely ask for a max contract north of $8 million per, something I would give Taylor Hall but not Duchene. But I would look to the second best center on the market, one who still owns a home nearby -- Kevin Hayes.

Though Hayes does not have the speed the Devils' brass covets, he is basically the type of player the Devils hope Zacha blossoms into right now. I would guess a 5-year deal in the $6 million range would get him, and he's still only 27. I'm not saying he would sign with NJ (especially if his hometown Bruins empty the coffers), but it's worth a shot. Because what would my 2019-20 Devils lines look like now?

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hayes-Zucker/Kapanen
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Agostino-Zacha-Anderson

I'm pretty sure that's a playoff caliber set of lines right there. Plus, the Devils would still have a ton of cap space left to add an impact D.

That 2C issue is glaring. No way it escapes Shero’s attention since we can all see it. He may not deem any of the options available to him so far to address that spot as worth the cost but hopefully something becomes manifest this offseason. A real 2C and a real partner for Vats and NJ is probably more than a bubble team assuming the goalies are real.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I still don't understand why we didn't give Zajac a real shot at 2C. It seemed he was either 1C which he wasn't suited for anymore, or 3C, which I think Zacha could handle just fine right now. Zajac has 40 points as mainly a 3C. If he hit closer to 50 with more playing time, it would be a passable 2C. Certainly better than Zacha.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I still don't understand why we didn't give Zajac a real shot at 2C. It seemed he was either 1C which he wasn't suited for anymore, or 3C, which I think Zacha could handle just fine right now. Zajac has 40 points as mainly a 3C. If he hit closer to 50 with more playing time, it would be a passable 2C. Certainly better than Zacha.

Who would he mesh with in that role? My guess is the team has really tried to force PZ into that role and by the time it may have been time to admit it wasn’t working it was too late. Maybe next season he gets that opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad