Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That 2C issue is glaring. No way it escapes Shero’s attention since we can all see it. He may not deem any of the options available to him so far to address that spot as worth the cost but hopefully something becomes manifest this offseason. A real 2C and a real partner for Vats and NJ is probably more than a bubble team assuming the goalies are real.

Another possibility, though it may seem far-fetched, is Joe Pavelski.

If San Jose, as many suspect, offers an 8-year max $$ deal to Erik Karlsson, they will be flirting with the cap ceiling. There is the possibility UFA Pavelski is their cap casualty.

Now granted, and I try to stay realistic, Pavelski would be more likely to sign with a legit contender with cap room next year -- Nashville and Calgary immediately come to mind. But it's okay to dream, right? I'd certainly overpay him on a two-year deal to bring some scoring and leadership to the second line. He's been a heck of a player for a very long time, and is still going strong with 37 goals this year.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to try to add one sleeper prospect for Devils fans to keep an eye on in the mid to late rounds every day. I've been writing up a lot of RWs of late, so I'll continue with that.

RW Judd Caulfield, US-NTDP
What I like about this kid is not subtle. He's huge (6'3-210), physical and very, very mean. Unlike many players of this particular ilk, Caulfield has pretty decent mobility and very soft hands. In my mind, he has the potential to develop into a right-shooting Pat Maroon type of player, the type of guy to stand up for teammates, make opposing defenseman overly cautious, and change momentum with a big hit while potting 15-20 goals.

I think the Devils lack this type of player in the system. While I would not take Caulfield in the first three rounds with higher-upside players available, he is certainly a player I would love to grab with a 4th or 5th round pick. There's no guarantee Caulfield lasts that long, I'd peg him as a late 3rd to early 4th round selection. But if he falls a bit he's certainly a name worth watching.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I must say that I don't think Byram, Cozens or Turcotte make the NHL next year. Whomever the Devils draft, Shero needs to make some moves via trade or free agency to fill second-line and D roles.

Personally, I want to see the Devils go after Tyler Myers as a UFA. Our blueline is very small and Myers would change that, plus he is very mobile and good with the puck which fits in with organizational philosophy. I believe he's only 29, so in a 5 year deal we would not need worry about decline.

As far as the second line, the Devils need to use their cap space to get creative. Look at the cap-strapped teams, for starters. If the Devils took Ryan Callahan's deal off Tampa's hands, would there also be a chance of getting Gourde or Cirelli in that deal? Tampa simply can't afford to fortify their blueline while paying $6 million in 2019-20 to Callahan.

And what about Toronto? They are going to need a lot of cap space to sign Marner and fill out their own blueline (3 UFAs). If the Devils take the last year of the dead Nathan Horton contract, could they also get another Leafs RFA in Kasperi Kapanen on the cheap? It's quite possible.
Tor wants to move Zaitsev, his contract is $1-2M too much and one year too long. What if we took that contract and Kapanen for Santini (cheaper replacement for NZ)? Maybe add one of the lower LHDs or a pick?
I believe Zeitsev is the older brother to one of our prospects.
The other move, Mcleod, Quenville and one more piece for Nurse. Mikey can keep up with McD and play with his bro!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Tor wants to move Zaitsev, his contract is $1-2M too much and one year too long. What if we took that contract and Kapanen for Santini (cheaper replacement for NZ)? Maybe add one of the lower LHDs or a pick?
I believe Zeitsev is the older brother to one of our prospects.
The other move, Mcleod, Quenville and one more piece for Nurse. Mikey can keep up with McD and play with his bro!

I'd rather move Mueller than Santini. After moving Lovejoy, Santini is our only D who is remotely physical, and the Devils blueline is already too soft. But Zaitsev and his contract would certainly be something Toronto would like to move, you're absolutely correct about that.

As for Nurse, Edmonton is not trading him. Chiarelli is no longer there, and Gretzky has shown no penchant for similar boneheaded moves.

Reactions: Smitty426

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd rather move Mueller than Santini. After moving Lovejoy, Santini is our only D who is remotely physical, and the Devils blueline is already too soft. But Zaitsev and his contract would certainly be something Toronto would like to move, you're absolutely correct about that.

As for Nurse, Edmonton is not trading him. Chiarelli is no longer there, and Gretzky has shown no penchant for similar boneheaded moves.
Is Santini more physical then Mueller?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Santini isn’t very good though. Someone who is worthless who is also physical is still worthless.

I disagree in that you need a couple of D on your blueline that can keep opposing forwards honest with the threat of a hit, as well as flatten someone in the crease and outmuscle someone along the boards. Every other D the Devils have relies on smarts and finesse. If the Devils cannot acquire a good RD next year, I would like to see Santini on the third pairing behind Vatanen and Severson. If the Devils can come away from the off-season with a Tyler Myers or whomever at RD, I would still like to see Santini as the 7th D.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I disagree in that you need a couple of D on your blueline that can keep opposing forwards honest with the threat of a hit, as well as flatten someone in the crease and outmuscle someone along the boards. Every other D the Devils have relies on smarts and finesse. If the Devils cannot acquire a good RD next year, I would like to see Santini on the third pairing behind Vatanen and Severson. If the Devils can come away from the off-season with a Tyler Myers or whomever at RD, I would still like to see Santini as the 7th D.

I belive we would regret signing Tyler Myer.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ty Smith finished the season at a 1.21 PPG pace.

For the record Byram finished in the same league at 1.06 PPG. Played 10 more games, scored three more points.

Obviously a year younger too, but still worth the context.

I think a reasonably fair comparison offense wise would be Smith’s numbers from last year. If I’m reading it correctly, Smith was also at 1.06 last season.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
They would want a better replacement then Santini most likely. Kid is barely replacement level at all right now.
Agreed but they don't get Sevs for that. This is the price, so to speak, for taking on that bad contract.
Santini needs to get more minutes, the broken jaw did not help! He logged big minutes early last year and then was banished! If he brought up his level a bit it would be more attractive.
I think Mueller will break out soon, if not on Devils, elsewhere.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ty Smith finished the season at a 1.21 PPG pace.

For the record Byram finished in the same league at 1.06 PPG. Played 10 more games, scored three more points.

Obviously a year younger too, but still worth the context.

Ty Smith and Bowen Byram are not ideal comparables, but if you wanted to do it statistically it would be more fair to do it in their draft-eligible season.

Smith: 69 games, 14g-59a-73p
Byram: 67games, 26g-45a-71p

It is also worth knowing that Byram set the all-time CHL record for overtime goals in a season. And he did it as a draft-eligible defenseman. This is an eye-opening statistic, for certain.

What we have here, in my mind, is two spectacular young defensemen.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Ty Smith and Bowen Byram are not ideal comparables, but if you wanted to do it statistically it would be more fair to do it in their draft-eligible season.

Smith: 69 games, 14g-59a-73p
Byram: 67games, 26g-45a-71p

It is also worth knowing that Byram set the all-time CHL record for overtime goals in a season. And he did it as a draft-eligible defenseman. This is an eye-opening statistic, for certain.

What we have here, in my mind, is two spectacular young defensemen.

Honestly with how their play styles are I think about all the smith to byram plays that will happen /drool. The other forwards can just stand there, they don't matter (or they can play defense lol) :)

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Honestly with how their play styles are I think about all the smith to byram plays that will happen /drool. The other forwards can just stand there, they don't matter (or they can play defense lol) :)

Both are LDs. Would quickly take our left side from a glaring weakness to a strength.

2021 lineup of

Smith -
Byram -
Butcher/Carrick/Mueller (whoever isn’t traded) -

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Both are LDs. Would quickly take our left side from a glaring weakness to a strength.

2021 lineup of

Smith -
Byram -
Butcher/Carrick/Mueller (whoever isn’t traded) -

A top four D of Byram/Smith/Vatanen/Severson would indeed be impressive. Also keep in mind that Jeremy Davies and Reilly Walsh both have very good upside as mid-pairing guys. Davies could challenge for a role next season, though it's unlikely that Shero and Hynes would be too enthusiastic about starting the year with two rookies (Smith will make the club) at LD. So I am assuming that Davies is signed and starts the year in Binghamton.

Whether or not the Devils get Byram in the draft, I think the blueline will be interesting to watch next year. Here would be my depth charts.

LD
1 Greene
2 Butcher
3 Smith (but he'll be #1 on this list by 2020-21)
4 Mueller
5 Yakovlev
6 Davies
7 White

RD
1 Vatanen
2 Severson
3 Santini
4 Carrick
5 Jacobs

I think the Devils will be fine going into 2019-20 with that roster at LD, but I think that with Smith and Davies entering the field, Mueller might be dangled in a trade.

At RD the Devils are certainly going to need to add someone from outside the organization. Santini and Carrick are still better suited to depth roles than 82-game seasons. I have suggested UFA RD Tyler Myers, but the most likely scenario is a trade. Knowing how badly the Devils need some size/strength/toughness on the blueline, I am very curious what it would take to get Brandon Carlo from Boston in a trade -- both he and McAvoy are RFAs and there might not be enough cap room in Beantown to afford the two of them.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
A top four D of Byram/Smith/Vatanen/Severson would indeed be impressive. Also keep in mind that Jeremy Davies and Reilly Walsh both have very good upside as mid-pairing guys. Davies could challenge for a role next season, though it's unlikely that Shero and Hynes would be too enthusiastic about starting the year with two rookies (Smith will make the club) at LD. So I am assuming that Davies is signed and starts the year in Binghamton.

Whether or not the Devils get Byram in the draft, I think the blueline will be interesting to watch next year. Here would be my depth charts.

LD
1 Greene
2 Butcher
3 Smith (but he'll be #1 on this list by 2020-21)
4 Mueller
5 Yakovlev
6 Davies
7 White

RD
1 Vatanen
2 Severson
3 Santini
4 Carrick
5 Jacobs

I think the Devils will be fine going into 2019-20 with that roster at LD, but I think that with Smith and Davies entering the field, Mueller might be dangled in a trade.

At RD the Devils are certainly going to need to add someone from outside the organization. Santini and Carrick are still better suited to depth roles than 82-game seasons. I have suggested UFA RD Tyler Myers, but the most likely scenario is a trade. Knowing how badly the Devils need some size/strength/toughness on the blueline, I am very curious what it would take to get Brandon Carlo from Boston in a trade -- both he and McAvoy are RFAs and there might not be enough cap room in Beantown to afford the two of them.

You forgot Walsh on the right. I presume he'll fall somewhere at 4-5 on the list currently but may work his way up to 3 in a couple years.

I'm also not so sure about Greene at 1 on the LD depth chart. It's not that Butcher is great but that Greene's declined significantly over the past couple years, and I'd expect the same for the upcoming season.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Smith- Vatanen
Byram- Severson
Greene-Butcher (he can play both sides)
Mueller

*eggplant emoji*

Greene is not going to still be with the team in 2021. We all love him, but his contract runs out after 2019-20 and he's not getting any younger. If the Devils return to the playoff race next season, Greene will likely finish out his contract with NJ. If not, expect him to be moved at the deadline to a team which covets defensive depth/experience, much like the Lovejoy deal this year.

As many of you know, I am very high on Jeremy Davies' potential at LD. I think he can be a faster version of Butcher, a 40+ point second-pairing puck-mover. A LD trio of Byram/Smith/Davies in 2021 would be extremely young, incredibly talented and inexpensive, allowing Shero to spend money on team needs elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad