Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the day:

C Jamieson Rees, Sarnia, OHL
Another under-the-radar player who can be an absolute grand slam for a scouting staff, Rees combines plus-plus speed with elite edgework and must be considered one of the better skaters in the class of 2019. Rees is also a creative and daring puck handler with top-end passing skill. Though he is of a pass-first mentality, he also has a good shot. Despite a lanky frame on his 5'10 height, he has a very high compete level, outstanding courage and plays an accomplished two-way game.

So, why he is he considered by most rankings a late second-round to early third-round pick? Personally, I'm baffled by it. Injuries and a suspension have severely limited his game action this season, and certainly has something to do with it. His 10-22-32 line in 37 games doesn't exactly wow you. But on closer inspection, 18 of his assists were primary, and Rees has more primary assists per minute than any other draft-eligible in the entire CHL. He's simply a player who makes his line mates better. With some coaching, development and several hours in the weight room, I would say with some confidence that Rees has the potential to be an NHL top-6 C with serious offensive upside.

Though Rees is currently ranked by most outside of the top 50 overall, if I were the Devils I would seriously consider him with their early second-round pick (if the season ended today, it would be 35th overall), especially if they don't land a center with their lottery pick.

One of my favorites for this draft is Alex Turcotte, and watching Rees is almost like watching a B-Movie version of Turcotte. This is in no way a slight on Rees -- I have Turcotte ranked #5 overall and think he's a can't-miss superstar. Rees has a few more glitches in his game, but plays with a ton of speed and heart and would fit in very well with the Shero-blueprint for the Devils.

Last edited:

Scotiandevil2630

Jan 18, 2018
I was reading some things and seen a little footage on Albin Grewe. I don't know a alot about him but seems to be mostly ranked in the 2nd round could be an interesting prospect from what I've seen.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was reading some things and seen a little footage on Albin Grewe. I don't know a alot about him but seems to be mostly ranked in the 2nd round could be an interesting prospect from what I've seen.

Sleeper prospect of the day:

RW (shoots left) Albin Grewe, Djurgardens J20, SWE JR.
Grewe is indeed an interesting prospect. He is an extremely divisive player, both among scouts and opponents. He plays a hell-bent-for-leather physical style, always on the edge, looking for a big hit to lay out opponents. He is in-your-face in every sense of the word, getting under your skin, flamboyantly celebrating goals. Though listed at 6'0-175, Grewe plays much bigger -- he excels in the dirty areas, looks for physicality and finds it.

None of this is why Grewe will likely hear his name called somewhere in the second round of the 2019 draft. It's because, in addition to his hustling, two-way game, the kid can flat out score. He's a very fast skater, creative with the puck, and owns a lightning-quick shot release. Conversely (and I mentioned he's divisive), his overall skating can improve, he is prone to teeth-gnashing giveaways with the puck, and his shot is pretty weak, so he needs to be in close to score.

Grewe is certainly a kid you notice. He takes the opponents off their game and draws the attention to himself. He can make a flashy play and score a beautiful goal, then give the puck away on the next shift leading to an opposition scoring chance, then crush a bigger player into the boards within a two-minute span. I think he's a solid bet to make the NHL, but the scouts who see him as a top-6 scorer might be over-projecting in that there are many questionable elements for him to improve and iron out before he were to achieve such lofty heights.

Would I draft Grewe? Absolutely, but not as early as a pick will likely need to be used on him. If Grewe somehow fell to the third round, it would certainly be worth consideration. But certain scouts just love the kid (I've seen him ranked as a late first-rounder on more than one occasion), so I'm guessing it would take the Devils early second-round pick (right now #35 overall), and in my mind, there are several options to be available there for whom the risk vs. reward scale is less daunting.

Thanks for mentioning Grewe, @Scotiandevil2630 -- he's certainly an intriguing name for draft day. And keep those later-round sleepers coming, guys -- always fun to discuss and get to know them.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The other thing about Grewe is that some scouts believe he plays an extremely selfish game. I have a feeling he's going to get grilled in his interviews at the combine about that.

Agreed -- I think the retaliation penalties he often takes would fit into that narrative. Again, if he somehow fell to the early third round, I would certainly consider Grewe. But I think he'll be gone by the first half of the second round, and there will be safer options there who are just as talented. Also, Grewe is a left-shooting winger, pretty far from an organizational need.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I will write up another sleeper prospect of the day, since this is a kid I'm quite high on, have mentioned many times, and have been asked on several times:

RD Antti Tuomisto, Assat U20, FIN JR.
One of my favorite prospects in the 2019 draft, because I think he could be available as far as 75 picks into the draft and may possess greater upside as a stud top-4 D than players who will be drafted in the first round. I realize that's a bold statement, but Tuomisto has several elements of my favorite sleeper prospects in that he's good now, but he's extremely far from his "talent ceiling", a juxtaposition which makes him a potential home run pick while also keeping him a bit under the proverbial radar.

Tuomisto has a very projectable frame at 6'3-175. While still wiry and filling out, he is physically strong and likes to play a physical game. This power and willingness to use it to initiate physicality are extremely attractive in a young defenseman with his body type -- I watch him and just imagine what a beast he could be in three-to-four years after age and the work-out room add 30 pounds of muscle. Tuomisto's unrefined power is also evident with his shot from the point -- it's an absolute cannon. Again, this talent needs to be honed in that he is not always adept at getting the shot through traffic or on target, which has tempered his goal totals. Though both of these strengths are not near what they good be, they are the types of things I look for in that they can be improved through coaching and development.

Tuomisto is a good skater, but you would not call him a great one. This is not uncommon in a D of his size, but although I place a high emphasis on speed in my rankings, he is very agile on his skates and, given his size, deceptively so.

Where Tuomisto really makes me believe he can one day blossom into a top-2 NHL D is with his puck skills and his smarts. He is an outstanding outlet passer, preferring to move the puck that way rather than rushing it. But his passing is tape-to-tape and extremely heady. He has excellent awareness in both the offensive and defensive zones. Though he still has some work to do in his defensive positioning and gap control, he is excellent at using his enormous wingspan to force puck-carriers outside and nearly impossible to beat one-on-one. And his puck-handling is just terrific -- Tuomisto has just outstanding hands for a guy mostly projected to be a big, physical rearguard.

Here's my total take on Tuomisto -- the Devils will have three picks between #55 and #70 overall. Certainly it would be worth risking one on a kid like this, who plays a position of sore organizational need (RD) and has many characteristics which could make him Jake Muzzin-like on the blueline -- a big, mobile puck-mover who physically punishes forwards in his own zone while putting up 10-35-45 type-stats. The Devils do not have this type of player anywhere in the organization. I don't think Tuomisto goes until the late second/early third, and due to the distance between his game now and his perceived ceiling, it is even possible that he falls until the fourth round.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

RW Bobby Brink, Sioux City, USHL
Here we have a kid who can go anywhere from the later first round to the third. Why? Well, some scouts won't look at him simply because he is a 5'7 winger with average speed. But someone is going to fall in love with his shot, which can be compared to snipers like Brock Boeser -- it's lightning fast, it's surgical, and this kid will be a deadly weapon on an NHL power play... if he can overcome some adversity and make it to the NHL.

I mention Brink because the Devils need right-shot wingers and they need goal-scorers. Brink fits both bills, and despite his size, he's not afraid to get into any dirty area he needs to be in to score. This quality is reminiscent of some good NHL-ers like Brandon Gallagher or prime-era Brian Gionta.

Were I Ray Shero, I would probably want a more-rounded kid with my early second-rounder (as of today #35), but I would certainly consider Brink with one of my later two second rounders (likely to be in the 50s).

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

RW Bobby Brink, Sioux City, USHL
Here we have a kid who can go anywhere from the later first round to the third. Why? Well, some scouts won't look at him simply because he is a 5'7 winger with average speed. But someone is going to fall in love with his shot, which can be compared to snipers like Brock Boeser -- it's lightning fast, it's surgical, and this kid will be a deadly weapon on an NHL power play... if he can overcome some adversity and make it to the NHL.

I mention Brink because the Devils need right-shot wingers and they need goal-scorers. Brink fits both bills, and despite his size, he's not afraid to get into any dirty area he needs to be in to score. This quality is reminiscent of some good NHL-ers like Brandon Gallagher or prime-era Brian Gionta.

Were I Ray Shero, I would probably want a more-rounded kid with my early second-rounder (as of today #35), but I would certainly consider Brink with one of my later two second rounders (likely to be in the 50s).

is he actually 5'7"? Bobby Brink at eliteprospects.com Also he seems to be ranked pretty high.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the Day:

RD Case McCarthy, USNT-DP

Without any disrespect to the Shero/Castron administration (whom I have repeatedly given much acclaim to), in three drafts they have failed to spend a single pick on a physical, defensive defenseman. Sure, they are not as glamorous as freewheeling offensive rearguards who make end to end rushes and have 50-point upside, but they are just as valuable to NHL teams -- especially come playoff time. Watching the undersized Devils blueline get pushed around by teams with physical forwards for pretty much the entirety of the 2018-19 campaign should be a red flag to Shero that they need some blueliners who can win battles in the crease and along the boards, who cannot be fended off by the Malkins and Couturiers by simply an arm stretched out to guard them.

Enter Case McCarthy. On an incredibly talented US-NTDP squad that may just be the best developmental team of all time, you barely notice him initially. McCarthy is a good, but not dynamic skater. He is a smart, conservative passer. His shot is not exactly what you would consider a weapon from the point.

But then he will absolutely crush an opposing forward and you start watching. You see him play every moment of every shift with incredible strength, physicality and tenacity. You see that he is extremely smart in the defensive zone and wins every one-on-one battle all game long. You see opposing forwards become intimidated by his heady play, his constant punishments; you see opposing forwards fall off their game with both a fear of McCarthy and an inability to beat him.

And you think -- I want that guy on my team.

The Devils have three picks in the second round, and then two picks in the third. McCarthy is likely to be available with NJ's pair of acquired picks in the late second round. The Devils need to use one of these picks on McCarthy, or on a similar player (Korczak is closest comparable in 2019). In recent drafts, I have banged the drum repeatedly for the Devils to get a kid like McCarthy -- Dylan Samberg and Andrew Peeke come to mind. The Devils have 7 picks in the top 100 this year. I'm fine with them swinging for the fences on 6 of them. But please, use the other on a kid like McCarthy.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Without any disrespect to the Shero/Castron administration (whom I have repeatedly given much acclaim to), in three drafts they have failed to spend a single pick on a physical, defensive defenseman. Sure, they are not as glamorous as freewheeling offensive rearguards who make end to end rushes and have 50-point upside, but they are just as valuable to NHL teams -- especially come playoff time. Watching the undersized Devils blueline get pushed around by teams with physical forwards for pretty much the entirety of the 2018-19 campaign should be a red flag to Shero that they need some blueliners who can win battles in the crease and along the boards, who cannot be fended off by the Malkins and Couturiers by simply an arm stretched out to guard them.

Enter Case McCarthy. On an incredibly talented US-NTDP squad that may just be the best developmental team of all time, you barely notice him initially. McCarthy is a good, but not dynamic skater. He is a smart, conservative passer. His shot is not exactly what you would consider a weapon from the point.

But then he will absolutely crush an opposing forward and you start watching. You see him play every moment of every shift with incredible strength, physicality and tenacity. You see that he is extremely smart in the defensive zone and wins every one-on-one battle all game long. You see opposing forwards become intimidated by his heady play, his constant punishments; you see opposing forwards fall off their game with both a fear of McCarthy and an inability to beat him.

The Devils have three picks in the second round, and then two picks in the third. McCarthy is likely to be available with NJ's pair of acquired picks in the late second round. The Devils need to use one of these picks on McCarthy, or on a similar player (Korczak is closest comparable in 2019). In recent drafts, I have banged the drum repeatedly for the Devils to get a kid like McCarthy -- Dylan Samberg and Andrew Peeke come to mind. The Devils have 7 picks in the top 100 this year. I'm fine with them swinging for the fences on 6 of them. But please, use the other on a kid like McCarthy.

How does Xavier Bernard fit in? I thought he was a more physical defensive defenseman.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How does Xavier Bernard fit in? I thought he was a more physical defensive defenseman.

I like Bernard, I do. But I don't think he is as good right now as McCarthy or Korczak, and he's a year older. I think Bernard can progress into a serviceable third-pairing guy who can play the body and get the puck out of the zone, but I don't think he has the physical, shut-down potential of McCarthy or Korczak. I'm also going to write up Jake Lee soon -- another D of this category who I think should be available into the third round. And I've spoken at length of Antti Tuomisto, who combines these skills with impressive offensive upside.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

you should be writing these in letters to shero and castron like andy dufresne trying to get library books for prison

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
you should be writing these in letters to shero and castron like andy dufresne trying to get library books for prison

32AB50A3-BD05-4FEA-9698-CA5FEBADAF05.gif

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Height is really only 1 dimension of size and it may not be the one that matters most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad