Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know if he will but I personally think he should be up there with Byram and Cozens as a possibility. But i know many here may not agree.

There is no doubt that Podkolzin is a heck of a player. But due to the arguments made in my previous couple of posts, I would say that he would be the wrong pick for the Devils if either Byram or Cozens were available. Which is not to say I would be upset by it, the Devils do not have a player stylistically similar to Podkolzin anywhere in the organization, and his upside is huge. But you can also say the same about Byram or Cozens.

A better argument for me would be: if the Devils were drafting 5th and Byram/Cozens were off the board, would I take Podkolzin or Turcotte?

Personally, I would take Turcotte. But I think this is a closer call than Podkolzin vs. Byram/Cozens.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
5- Kirby Dach
This kid is a right shot playmaking center with a big frame. Again, we need size in our top #6 and his skating isn't elite but you don't need speed when you have his vision. When I see him play, I think of Jumbo Joe.

I kind of disagree with this. You can have all the vision in the world but it doesn't matter if your vision is 5 players covering all your teammates and none on you because there's 0 threat of you blazing in for a breakaway or something. Another aspect is that it's a lot more effective to create plays if you have speed because you can throw off your opponents positioning by quickly moving around the ice and switching spots with your teammates. If you're slow, it's way easier for your opponents to adjust.

This is what makes Hughes so dangerous. He can zip around multiple spots on the ice before the other team can even react to the 1st move and there's always the threat of him getting a breakaway due to his speed.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
There is no doubt that Podkolzin is a heck of a player. But due to the arguments made in my previous couple of posts, I would say that he would be the wrong pick for the Devils if either Byram or Cozens were available. Which is not to say I would be upset by it, the Devils do not have a player stylistically similar to Podkolzin anywhere in the organization, and his upside is huge. But you can also say the same about Byram or Cozens.

A better argument for me would be: if the Devils were drafting 5th and Byram/Cozens were off the board, would I take Podkolzin or Turcotte?

Personally, I would take Turcotte. But I think this is a closer call than Podkolzin vs. Byram/Cozens.

Its a good argument to have I think, there are valid points on all sides (Byram, Cozens or Podkolzin) and all are incredibly talented prospects. I'd be happy with all 3. Turcotte is up ther too, though for me I think there's a slim margin between him and the former three. But if we're taking into account organizational need them I can see why Turcotte moves up a bit.

I can't wait for the lottery

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Because Podkolzin is a guy ranked really highly by Castron. It might change of course when it's time to draft, but it sounds like he's the number 3 on the list right now.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Regardless whether we win the lottery or not we are walking away with a blue chip prospect. Worst we will pick is probably what 8th overall ? After Hughes and Kakko there's is a lot of good players that are all very hard to pick from , seems like the chunk of players 3 to 10 are all similar in terms of not having a lot of red flags and having a decent nhl floor. Our scouts are gonna have their work cut out for them if we are picking there.

Reactions: My3Sons

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Because Podkolzin is a guy ranked really highly by Castron. It might change of course when it's time to draft, but it sounds like he's the number 3 on the list right now.

Last I read, Podkolzin wasn’t that interested in coming to NA. He seems to have great talent but it’s useless if he’s not interested in being a Devil.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Regardless whether we win the lottery or not we are walking away with a blue chip prospect. Worst we will pick is probably what 8th overall ? After Hughes and Kakko there's is a lot of good players that are all very hard to pick from , seems like the chunk of players 3 to 10 are all similar in terms of not having a lot of red flags and having a decent nhl floor. Our scouts are gonna have their work cut out for them if we are picking there.

It's looking like the worst we'd pick is 7th.

With the 4th worst record in the league, Devils would still be looking at about a 60% chance of picking 5th-6th and only a 31.6% chance of picking in the top 4. If we can move "ahead" of Detroit for 3rd worst record in the league, the odds of landing a top 4 pick improve to 47.1%.

2019 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Last I read, Podkolzin wasn’t that interested in coming to NA. He seems to have great talent but it’s useless if he’s not interested in being a Devil.

Those rumors always pop up when dealing with Russian kids. People said the same things about Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Nichushkin etc and they're all in the NHL.

The only guy I can think of that has had no rush to the NHL is Minnesota's Kaprizov, but he was a 5th round pick and wanted to develop in the KHL.

All of the other high profile Russians are in the NHL. And Podkolzin will be too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Those rumors always pop up when dealing with Russian kids. People said the same things about Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Nichushkin etc and they're all in the NHL.

The only guy I can think of that has had no rush to the NHL is Minnesota's Kaprizov, but he was a 5th round pick and wanted to develop in the KHL.

All of the other high profile Russians are in the NHL. And Podkolzin will be too.

The team will likely get a chance to interview him before the draft and they can discuss his interest in playing in the NHL if he is drafted by NJ.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Nichushkin did leave Dallas though to play in the KHL for a couple of years, but your point stands.

If the Devils are picking him (particularly with the 3rd overall pick), they would have to be really confident that he would come over. I'm sure they'll do their due diligence with the pick and I trust Castron.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Interesting. It seems like our brass puts a lot of emphasis on the interview process, though. I wonder how that could change things.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I hope so, but it wasn’t just a rumor, it was a quote taken from an interview. Maybe his feelings have changed. I’m sure the devils will be diligent.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think the quote was that he didn't want to play in the CHL, not that he didn't want to play in NA.

It was in reference to coming over to playing in the CHL but it seems that coming to NA is a ways off for him. Maybe he’s changed a bit and I trust our FO to properly gauge his interest. I just doubt that one year has made him feel like an established player and a man.

There is a type of people who simply do not have a desire to go there. I have friends who say: "Oh, America, Canada - this is very cool, I would like to live there all my life." I'm the opposite. I basically do not want to go there. Even more - play there. Because I understand that, most likely, I will lose more there than I'll acquire. Because I know very little language. And I know what kind of mentality there is, what kind of life. Because I was there in tournaments. And i don't have a desire to go there. To live alone in another country ... it's ok if you're in another city, as it's now, but at 17 years old in another country - I am not ready. I want to go there already as established hockey player and a man. With my family, probably. And now - it's too early for me.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
It was in reference to coming over to playing in the CHL but it seems that coming to NA is a ways off for him. Maybe he’s changed a bit and I trust our FO to properly gauge his interest. I just doubt that one year has made him feel like an established player and a man.

There is a type of people who simply do not have a desire to go there. I have friends who say: "Oh, America, Canada - this is very cool, I would like to live there all my life." I'm the opposite. I basically do not want to go there. Even more - play there. Because I understand that, most likely, I will lose more there than I'll acquire. Because I know very little language. And I know what kind of mentality there is, what kind of life. Because I was there in tournaments. And i don't have a desire to go there. To live alone in another country ... it's ok if you're in another city, as it's now, but at 17 years old in another country - I am not ready. I want to go there already as established hockey player and a man. With my family, probably. And now - it's too early for me.

I trust NJ management to evaluate the situation and judge from there, but that quote is not reassuring. If drafting at 3 and you are given the choice between Podkozlin, Cozens and Byram why choose the riskiest one?

But he may be singing a different tune at the Combine. No point sweating it just yet

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

If he's the best player available, I couldn't care less if he wants to stay in Russia until he's ready to crack the NHL. Passing up on talent just because they don't want to play in the CHL or AHL isn't a wise move IMO.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If he's the best player available, I couldn't care less if he wants to stay in Russia until he's ready to crack the NHL. Passing up on talent just because they don't want to play in the CHL or AHL isn't a wise move IMO.

Absolutely agreed. But as I keep saying he has in no way separated himself from Byram and Cozens talent-wise, and Byram and Cozens play more important positions.

Podkolzin is a great player and seems like a very good kid, but for me he wouldn't even be in the conversation until the 5th overall pick, and if Byram were still available he wouldn't even be in the conversation then.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Is there a link providable? I searched all over the internet for anything on this, but I suck at the internet and was unable to dig up any interviews with Castron talking about Podkolzin or his 2019 draft rankings.

Reactions: Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I trust NJ management to evaluate the situation and judge from there, but that quote is not reassuring. If drafting at 3 and you are given the choice between Podkozlin, Cozens and Byram why choose the riskiest one?

But he may be singing a different tune at the Combine. No point sweating it just yet

Another facet to keep in mind about the 2019 draft is that Podkolzin and Cozens have started out with top-5 consensus rankings which have remained static. Byram began in the 7-10 range and has been creeping up into many top 5 rankings. I was the first person I saw to rank Byram 3rd, but in this month's rankings the ISS became the second. Byram has just shown extraordinary improvement this year, and I expect him to be a fixture in top-5 rankings come draft day, just three months away.

KinCornKarn

Oct 2, 2003
Is there a link providable? I searched all over the internet for anything on this, but I suck at the internet and was unable to dig up any interviews with Castron talking about Podkolzin or his 2019 draft rankings.

He probably won't have a link but tends to be pretty accurate with these kind of things. Am i wrong for thinking Podkolzin could be similar to Gabriel Landeskog?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Another facet to keep in mind about the 2019 draft is that Podkolzin and Cozens have started out with top-5 consensus rankings which have remained static. Byram began in the 7-10 range and has been creeping up into many top 5 rankings. I was the first person I saw to rank Byram 3rd, but in this month's rankings the ISS became the second. Byram has just shown extraordinary improvement this year, and I expect him to be a fixture in top-5 rankings come draft day, just three months away.

this is way off topic but what do you think of mcleod? where did you have him ranked prior to the draft? and if you watch him now, where would you project he is (talent-wise) in like 3 years?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He probably won't have a link but tends to be pretty accurate with these kind of things. Am i wrong for thinking Podkolzin could be similar to Gabriel Landeskog?

I compare Podkolzin more to Matt Tkachuk, but I can see Landeskog being a pretty good comparable, as well. These are both terrific young players, as I'm certain Podkolzin will be. The question is -- when will it be in the NHL? I think Podkolzin is a very smart kid and I love his demeanor, but he does not seem in any rush to get to North America. It is for this reason that I do not consider him a top-5 pick, even though he is arguably a top 5 talent (most scouting services rank him there, I have him currently at 6) in this draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
this is way off topic but what do you think of mcleod? where did you have him ranked prior to the draft? and if you watch him now, where would you project he is (talent-wise) in like 3 years?

Ah, the 2016 draft.

Without being able to find my notes on the 2016 draft at the moment, I recall having McLeod ranked around the middle of the first round. I do recall really really wanting Clayton Keller -- I had him ranked 3rd overall. I was a bit bummed out when Arizona grabbed him at 7. I also recall many Devils fans pulling for Alex Nylander, who I had ranked somewhere in the low 20s and really did not want on the Devils. When Keller (and then Sergachev and Jost) went in the top 10, I recall being happy when Shero traded down. The next players I really coveted were McAvoy and Kunin, who I felt could be had later in the draft. But I was happy with McLeod because his skating was just so elite.

At the time, I saw McLeod as a lightning-fast, two-way, second line C. Now I see him as a third liner. I like him a lot as a player and a kid, I just don't ever see him being a 60+ point guy. Which is fine, we need an heir to Zajac as a checking line C who can pop in some points.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ah, the 2016 draft.

Without being able to find my notes on the 2016 draft at the moment, I recall having McLeod ranked around the middle of the first round. I do recall really really wanting Clayton Keller -- I had him ranked 3rd overall. I was a bit bummed out when Arizona grabbed him at 7. I also recall many Devils fans pulling for Alex Nylander, who I had ranked somewhere in the low 20s and really did not want on the Devils. When Keller (and then Sergachev and Jost) went in the top 10, I recall being happy when Shero traded down. The next players I really coveted were McAvoy and Kunin, who I felt could be had later in the draft. But I was happy with McLeod because his skating was just so elite.

At the time, I saw McLeod as a lightning-fast, two-way, second line C. Now I see him as a third liner. I like him a lot as a player and a kid, I just don't ever see him being a 60+ point guy. Which is fine, we need an heir to Zajac as a checking line C who can pop in some points.

Enough with the false modesty. We all know you had Bratt ranked ahead of Nylander and Kunin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->