Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Maybe in a couple years we see Pods and Hogs flanking Bo? That could be one heck of a line, and hard to play against too. What about Boeser then? Hmmmm. It’s a nice problem to have lots of top quality talent for our top six. The days of Megna and Chaput in the top six are (fingers, eyes, and legs crossed) hopefully long gone.
Hi I just started watching the Canucks Last year
Who is Megna and Chaput?
If they are top six players why don’t I see them on any of the other 30 teams top four lineups?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hope he can be our viktor arvidsson. In an organization where our prospect depth is dwindling and not many picks in this years draft we really need guys like Rathbone/Hoglander/Pod to hit.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
He's only 19 years old playing in a pro League. Like Podkolzin, coaches won't give a mass amount of ice time to teenagers

No kidding, right? The 'he's not playing enough angle makes me chuckle. You don't have to look any further than Boeser sitting his first two or Hughes starting on PP2 to recognize coaches don't play teenagers right away.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
No kidding, right? The 'he's not playing enough angle makes me chuckle. You don't have to look any further than Boeser sitting his first two or Hughes starting on PP2 to recognize coaches don't play teenagers right away.

There is also locker room chemistry to consider, players aren't robots that are emotionless, you don't just take Edler off the first PP and replace him without question. That could disrupt the locker room and create resentment with each other, remember these are all high competitive athletes playing for an NHL job.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Podkolzin, Hoglander are the two players that will push this team's depth over the top and have a serious crack at the Stanley Cup.

You need players of this calibre to be the X factor in a playoff series.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He's only 19 years old playing in a pro League. Like Podkolzin, coaches won't give a mass amount of ice time to teenagers

This is his third full season on the same team in that same league, though. It's a pretty different situation than Podkolzin, who has yet to stick for a full year with his team.

Not to comment one way or another on Hoglander, just that it's a different situation than a player first breaking into the league.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kid is hopelessly undersized, just like Brayden Point.
Point is listed at 5'10" and 166 on Hockey DB.....Hoglander is listed at 5'9", 185, which according to my math is almost 20 pounds heavier, even though he's four years younger.

So Hoglander is 'short', but he isn't 'small', and doesn't play that way. But I see your 'point'. Brayden Point and Johnny Gaudreau seem to survive quite nicely playing in the 160-pound range.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Kushman

Aug 9, 2020
Point is listed at 5'10" and 166 on Hockey DB.....Hoglander is listed at 5'9", 185, which according to my math is almost 20 pounds heavier, even though he's four years younger.

So Hoglander is 'short', but he isn't 'small', and doesn't play that way. But I see your 'point'. Brayden Point and Johnny Gaudreau seem to survive quite nicely playing in the 160-pound range.
difference being that Brayden Point actually shows up for the playoffs and performs despite his small stature. Johnny on the other hand... Johnny just has the 24/7 pout face looking towards the refs for some help after every whistle. Becomes a complete non-factor

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
difference being that Brayden Point actually shows up for the playoffs and performs despite his small stature. Johnny on the other hand... Johnny just has the 24/7 pout face looking towards the refs for some help after every whistle. Becomes a complete non-factor
opQ1uy2.png

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Hog has been a pleasant surprise so far in the SHL, wasnt expecting the minutes, wasnt expecting the early production, looks like he was building on his strong WJC performance. lets hope we hit on a second rnder for once.... long overdue

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hog has been a pleasant surprise so far in the SHL, wasnt expecting the minutes, wasnt expecting the early production, looks like he was building on his strong WJC performance. lets hope we hit on a second rnder for once.... long overdue
To be fair, Demko was a second-rounder and so was Kole Line, who's still a prospect with some upside.

But one of the big reasons the Canucks haven't 'hit' on many second rounders is that they keep trading them for the likes of Sutter, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Vey.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
To be fair, Demko was a second-rounder and so was Kole Line, who's still a prospect with some upside.

But one of the big reasons the Canucks haven't 'hit' on many second rounders is that they keep trading them for the likes of Sutter, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Vey.

To be fair, they did have two early 3rd round picks in 2015 and 2016 which is almost like a late 2nd. Lockwood and Brisebois have very little chance to become regular nhl player. Gadjovich has very little chance as well, his skating hasn't improve much. Lind if you go by data, first two ahl seasons and if you compare other ahl players that put some similar numbers. Most of them are not even in the ahl. If he does make it to the nhl, I don't see more than a 4th line player.

Yes Benning trading 2nd round picks doesn't help but I don't seeing them finding a lot of gems when they did have a 2nd round pick or a 3rd round pick. Hoglander looks like a good pick, should develope into a middle 6 to second line winger. Not that high on Woo, I don't see more than 3rd pairing D but it's still early.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Point taken.

Reactions: GumbyCan2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad