Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Been saying this since they were drafted, Hoglander and Podkolzin are the type of players you need for a long playoff run. They're the type of players that push your depth over the top and have non-stop motors.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Hoglander almost gets another breakaway on his 1st shift of the 2nd. That shift came 6 mins into the 2nd due to Rogle getting trapped for a 2min defensive shift, into a pk, and finally another long defensive shift. Couldn't get over the redline :laugh:

Edit* - Bad giveaway at the blueline, but gets back defensively, and then transitions quickly to offense and creates a high danger chance.

Rogle has been hot garbage this period.

Edit2* - This period can't end soon enough for Rogle. 3rd PK of the period, and just getting caved in at evens (save for Hoglanders line). 3-2 now, PP goal against right on que.

Edit3* - Hoglander with a nice neutral zone takeaway that leads to a scoring chance. Better final 5mins for Rogle.

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
4-1 Rogle, Nils with what looked like an assist! He's been their best forward again easily. Refs may call this one back?

Edit* - They do. 3-1 Rogle.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Rogle scored early in the 3rd, and not much else has happened since. 4-2 Rogle.

Edit* - Rogle, if you could not take a penalty every 4mins...that'd be great.

Edit2* - Rogle just received a 5min PP with 3:44 to go. Make that a 5 on 3.

Edit3* - Hoglander's unit scores on the PP, but he didn't factor in the scoring.

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Finished the game with 1G 1Shot -1 in 11:35TOI. Here's his lines TOI - Ryfors 14:21, Bengtsson 15:02, and of course Nils with the 11:35...I wonder who doesn't kill penalties :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Love his use of leverage to draw a defender into his back side and uses it as a push forward and the defender loses his stride.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So I see Chris Faber of Canucks Army is saying that Hoglander has been one of the best two-way players in the SHL this season, and comes armed with a bevy of advanced stats to back it up.

Still think Hoglander is a dark-horse to make the Canucks opening night lineup this winter. With Tofoli gone and Virtanen a question mark, there could be an opening for a top-six winger. At the very least, I think the Canucks will audition some of their younger players for the role, before they explore the trade market. And since they have little or no cap space, a trade for another top-six winger isn't very likely anyway.

It's going to be an adventure this upcoming season. I could see a scenario where they have as many as three raw rookies in the lineup--something that will probably bring some heartburn for the coach.

But bring it on, I say.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most spots up front are spoken for at least at the bottom.

petey, Miller, Bo, Brock, Ferland, Pearson, Jake, Sutter, Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Gaudette, macewen for now. With Sven likely demoted. Ferland is a wildcard due to health. Likely 1 spot in the top 6 is open.

see spots for rookies on D. Top 4 is set. Benn is there. Leaves likely 2 of Juolevi, Rafferty and Rathbone though I think Jack starts in the A.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Most spots up front are spoken for at least at the bottom.

petey, Miller, Bo, Brock, Ferland, Pearson, Jake, Sutter, Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Gaudette, macewen for now. With Sven likely demoted. Ferland is a wildcard due to health. Likely 1 spot in the top 6 is open.

see spots for rookies on D. Top 4 is set. Benn is there. Leaves likely 2 of Juolevi, Rafferty and Rathbone though I think Jack starts in the A.
Except that there's a good chance Ferland ends up on LTIR; and Eriksson could be joining Baertschi in the minors. When your highest paid forward is a healthy press-box scratch during the most important games of your entire season, why would you come back with him?

And looking at the remainder of the Canucks depth forwards, there's hardly a single once who'd ever be able to move into the top six. The only two 'possibles' are Virtanen and Motte. And I'd say that both lack the consistency for a top-six role or can make much of a contribution on the second unit pp.

So for that reason, I wouldn't sleep on Hoglander.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Except that there's a good chance Ferland ends up on LTIR; and Eriksson could be joining Baertschi in the minors. When your highest paid forward is a healthy press-box scratch during the most important games of your entire season, why would you come back with him?

And looking at the remainder of the Canucks depth forwards, there's hardly a single once who'd ever be able to move into the top six. The only two 'possibles' are Virtanen and Motte. And I'd say that both lack the consistency for a top-six role or can make much of a contribution on the second unit pp.

So for that reason, I wouldn't sleep on Hoglander.
My thought is that if they keep him he needs to play regularly. Don’t see the point in a shortened season to sit him in the press box.

only thing that will keep Loui around is the lack of PK depth forwards.

who else joins motte, Sutter, Beagle from the bottom 6 in that role? Roussel? Surprised he isn’t able to kill penalties. Pearson can if they need him to. Gaudette, Jake, Ferland? Not likely.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So I see Chris Faber of Canucks Army is saying that Hoglander has been one of the best two-way players in the SHL this season, and comes armed with a bevy of advanced stats to back it up.

Still think Hoglander is a dark-horse to make the Canucks opening night lineup this winter. With Tofoli gone and Virtanen a question mark, there could be an opening for a top-six winger. At the very least, I think the Canucks will audition some of their younger players for the role, before they explore the trade market. And since they have little or no cap space, a trade for another top-six winger isn't very likely anyway.

It's going to be an adventure this upcoming season. I could see a scenario where they have as many as three raw rookies in the lineup--something that will probably bring some heartburn for the coach.

But bring it on, I say.

That Canucks Army stuff is pure garbage based on raw corsi, which is an absolutely pointless stat when taken without context.

Usually, what numbers like Hoglander's mean is that the player is playing soft 2nd line minutes with lots of 0-zone starts, not that they're an 'elite two way player'.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Finished the game with 1G 1Shot -1 in 11:35TOI. Here's his lines TOI - Ryfors 14:21, Bengtsson 15:02, and of course Nils with the 11:35...I wonder who doesn't kill penalties :laugh:

Thanks @The Iron Goalie ! Awesome work as always!

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad