Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
The speculation that there will be a Canadian division in the AHL this increases the likelihood that Hoglander will stay in the AHL if he doesn't make the team (which is the most likely scenario). I'll be watching his game tomorrow morning, and will try to post updates (if I remember ;))

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
DANG! Nice break by Hogs, but he can't finish.

Edit* wouldn't have counted as Rogle was assessed a penalty behind the play, and as I type this Brynas scores on the PP lol, and it's 1-1

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Nils has been fire this period. Gets his 4th o-zone take away, and nutmegs a dman in the high slot a dangerous shot high blocker (saved). He's so quick, smart, and relentless on the forecheck.

He was Rogle's best player in period 2. Still only 7:10TOI after 2 due to Rogle having 5 PP so far, but he played ~4mins vs ~3 in the 1st.

Edit* - Another strong period so far. He has been in attack mode since the early 2nd, and is flying out there!

Edit2* - Game ends 2-1. Hoglander was awesome in the final 2 periods, but just couldn't convert. This is a game he can build off, and if he continues to drive play like this...the points will follow. Finished with 13:36TOI with 3:04 in the 1st, 4:06 in the 2nd, and 6:16 in the 3rd.

Last edited:

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Seems to have gone ice cold on the score sheet since starting the year well. 5 straight games without a point. Seems like the same theme as one of those guys like Podkolzin who works hard and passes the eye test but doesn't produce much.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Seems to have gone ice cold on the score sheet since starting the year well. 5 straight games without a point. Seems like the same theme as one of those guys like Podkolzin who works hard and passes the eye test but doesn't produce much.

I'm honestly shocked Nils didn't get at least a point today. He was dominant every shift in the 2nd/3rd. Truly snakebite.

For Podz it's more opportunity, but he hasn't looked offensively dominant (in the games I've watched) like Hoglander did today.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Tofoli gone and likely no money to replace him, the door is wide open for Hoglander to come to training camp and earn a spot.

I suppose the betting is still that he lands in the AHL or back in Sweden, but I swear if he outplays some of the bottom-six scoring slugs and still gets shipped out, the fans will be in revolt.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016

Hoglander finally breaks the pointless streak. +1 15:23 TOI and 4 SOG this game. He played well and looked super dangerous all game. He dominated play and even drew a penalty.
What stuck out to me today was his shiftiness. His shiftiness combined with his relentless motor means that when the puck is on his stick it is extremely hard to knock it off of him. His boardwork is surprisingly strong too. Entertaining player to follow

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't follow the SHL very much, but was wondering if the league is tougher this year given all the players who've been placed there on loan by their NHL teams? Makes sense that it might be more difficult to find time and space this season.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I don't follow the SHL very much, but was wondering if the league is tougher this year given all the players who've been placed there on loan by their NHL teams? Makes sense that it might be more difficult to find time and space this season.

Maybe it is tougher, but Hoglander has been great for the last 4 games, and was just snakebite. I wouldn't be shocked if he heats up again.

Reactions: supercanuck

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It’s NHL or SHL for Hoglander. Clause in his contract states he does not have to report to the farm. IF he doesn’t make the club out of training camp Canucks should talk to him about starting in the AHL and that he would be the first call up in case of injury, once called up I don’t think he’ll go back down, kid is just that good. Canucks simply have to many dead roster spots being taken up by veterans currently.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s NHL or SHL for Hoglander. Clause in his contract states he does not have to report to the farm. IF he doesn’t make the club out of training camp Canucks should talk to him about starting in the AHL and that he would be the first call up in case of injury, once called up I don’t think he’ll go back down, kid is just that good. Canucks simply have to many dead roster spots being taken up by veterans currently.
With such a huge question mark hanging over the AHL, it's the Canucks or back to Sweden for Hoglander. If he shows well in training camp, he might get 10 games or so to start the season. But most likely he heads back home for the remainder of the 2021 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad