Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There are exceptions to the rule (think Jordan Schroeder). But generally a player who finishes near the top of the points parade in the WJC is a good bet to be a decent scorer at the NHL level. So I'm not concerned at all about Hoglander's offense translating to the NHL
Jim Sandlak - tied for 4th in the 1986 WJC. He was like a man playing against boys in that tournament. Then he faced playing against actual men in the NHL and we all know what happened.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hogs is one of those hyper compete guys, who is also super hockey smart. He’s not at Podkolzin level defensively, but he will learn quickly. I can see him on the PK too. With Hogs and Pods we have two really good sure fire NHL guys coming soon.

Add those two to our offense, and with Juolevi, rathbone and Tryamkin joining the team in the next 2 years, we are going to have 4 or 5 very good years. If we can afford them.

We have so much wasted money tied up in dumb FA signings its not funny. I really can't think of one where JB didn't overpay for what we got.

We could have been 20M under the cap and probably had just as good a team.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
True but Kole LInd didn't even make the U20 team for Canada let alone lead it.

Just listened to Craig Button interview and he's convinced Hoglander and Podkolzin are big parts of our future and soon.

I have little doubt the kid can be a Schwartz comparable (he's that talented) but lets see how his skating speed comes along first. and how he deals with bigger athletes in a faster game 2nd. Schwartz can fly and is ultra competitive.

I like the comp. Needless to say if both those guys can score and play with the levels of compete we have seen so far and do it in the NHL we have some extremely valuable commodities. That's exciting

Skating speed is going to be the thing to find out about with Hoglander. That's his possible weakness. He's very quick and darting, but he doesn't fly up and down the ice with superior straight-line speed. Horvat dealt with the same problem and became much faster, so I think Hogs could do it too.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The Elite Prospects scouting report on Hoglander is very thorough. It will be interesting to see if he can improve on his defensive game this year, which is a major weakness of his according to ep, and could hold him back from making the Canucks this upcoming season if his offence isn't enough to make up for his defence.

Höglander’s major weaknesses are found at his own end of the ice. While he still works quite hard in the defensive zone; he struggles with positioning and awareness while defending. He often gets passive as he doesn’t seem to know what to do and with that, he becomes a non-factor. Due to his size, Höglander also struggles along the boards at times, and bigger forwards can quite easily keep the puck from him as he cannot challenge them with strength nor reach. He can be quite soft when it comes to blocking shots and have been seen jumping to the side or lifting his leg instead of trying to make a block. Overall, playing in the defensive zone doesn’t come as naturally for Höglander as his play with the puck does and it will require a lot of time and effort for him to become a decent defensive player.
Post-Draft Prospect Profiles: Nils Höglander No. 40 to the...

Reactions: lindgren

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
That seems like a pretty general comment and could apply to almost any prospect. I generally dont put much stock in media scouts.

If that is in-fact the worst part of his game it is something correctable as a prospect. I personally would not do a write up on a prospect questioning his ability to block shots.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
That seems like a pretty general comment and could apply to almost any prospect. I generally dont put much stock in media scouts.

If that is in-fact the worst part of his game it is something correctable as a prospect. I personally would not do a write up on a prospect questioning his ability to block shots.
Ryan Johnson is a better player obvs.

Reactions: B-rock

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The Elite Prospects scouting report on Hoglander is very thorough. It will be interesting to see if he can improve on his defensive game this year, which is a major weakness of his according to ep, and could hold him back from making the Canucks this upcoming season if his offence isn't enough to make up for his defence.

Post-Draft Prospect Profiles: Nils Höglander No. 40 to the...

Reading the scouting report in its totality, it’s unlikely that defense will be a long term problem. He appears to have the requisite motor, willingness to engage, east-west skating and compete level that he’ll be effective in his own end with more coaching. Those attributes are exactly what good PKers are made of.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Reading the scouting report in its totality, it’s unlikely that defense will be a long term problem. He appears to have the requisite motor, willingness to engage, east-west skating and compete level that he’ll be effective in his own end with more coaching. Those attributes are exactly what good PKers are made of.
The article even said that his defensive woes aren’t for a lack of trying. He’ll figure it out.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Jannik Hansen is a terrible comparison. Hopefully he turns out to be a more skilled Arvidson

Arvidson has always been my comparison, but "more skilled" ? Arvidson is pretty darn skilled. A 60 pt player who had a down year last year.

Arvidson with a bit more edge is what I see.

Reactions: Bgav

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If his defence is as bad as that prospect evaluation says, Travis will not be letting him on this team.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I feel like Hogs is a prospect that needs a decent turn in AHL before he is ready for NHL.

This makes me uncomfortable, with Utica's recent track record.

Reactions: Canucks1096

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only thing that could keep Hoglander off this team is if the Canucks are still carrying some of those anvil contracts for bottom-of-the roster forwards.

So if Green and Benning are determined to keep the likes of Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle and Roussel in the lineup, then Hoglander is better off back in Sweden for another season than playing in Utica imo. Besides, resumption of play in the AHL is a complete crapshoot right now anyway.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The only thing that could keep Hoglander off this team is if the Canucks are still carrying some of those anvil contracts for bottom-of-the roster forwards.

So if Green and Benning are determined to keep the likes of Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle and Roussel in the lineup, then Hoglander is better off back in Sweden for another season than playing in Utica imo. Besides, resumption of play in the AHL is a complete crapshoot right now anyway.
It’s insane that a great young player making 800 thousand on the cap doesn’t play on our team, because Loui has his contract guaranteed - making 6 million on the cap. We could have Hoglander and Tofoli for less than what Loui must get. Thank you Benning. (Puke emoji)

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad