Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
To be fair, Demko was a second-rounder and so was Kole Line, who's still a prospect with some upside.

But one of the big reasons the Canucks haven't 'hit' on many second rounders is that they keep trading them for the likes of Sutter, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Vey.

Man, that's brutal. :help:

Reactions: MarkMM

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I think Hoglander makes the Canucks starting lineup. Big fan of this prospect.

I totally understand why most will want to temper expectations on a 5'9 second rounder, but I'm with ya.
I would bunk Pettersson and Hoglander together, can you imagine the hockey-related conversations those two would be having?

He's the one guy I could see getting under Petey's skin a little bit with his showmanship. If/when Nils pulls off his lacrosse move in the NHL, EP40 is going to put his rage goggles on and try to put up a 5 goal game. It's going to be exhilarating watching these two try to out-do one another.

He's not Petey, but he's going to be a fan favourite.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The Hoglander is back in action tomorrow at 10am. Expecting at least 3 points. Lets hope he doesn't disappoint again

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Just stopping by to see if he has 4 points yet, I see nobody has called him a bust in the last 5 comments so I can only assume that he in fact has scored at least 4 points

these are the best of times oh my brothers

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
3rd period 1-1 tie

no points for busty mc bustersen but man oh man E. Petterssen with a point I tell ya Elias is so amazing he gets points in games he doesn’t even play

truely generational

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander is my dark-horse pick to make the Canucks out of training camp. But if he doesn't, he can simply return to the SHL to play out the season.

The Canucks are fortunate that their two top prospects--Podkolzin and Hoglander--have leagues to play in. Other prospects in the pipeline, including those drafted in a few days, won't be so lucky.

They could end up in training sites like MLB, practicing and playing inter-squad games. Hardly ideal for their development.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Kid is hopelessly undersized, just like Brayden Point.
So, you are essentially saying 'Brayden Point' is hopeless? Not in this universe is he hopeless.
Hoglander may persevere and push through to show his skill and abilities with hard work and above average drive can overcomd size obstacle and become a star.
Brayden is outscoring and leading T.B. as much or more than Stamkos and Kucherov!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Point is listed at 5'10" and 166 on Hockey DB.....Hoglander is listed at 5'9", 185, which according to my math is almost 20 pounds heavier, even though he's four years younger.

So Hoglander is 'short', but he isn't 'small', and doesn't play that way. But I see your 'point'. Brayden Point and Johnny Gaudreau seem to survive quite nicely playing in the 160-pound range.

Generalizing here, but "physics aspect" does bode well for many a shorter hockey player who is 185+lbs to have success in battling for pucks, surviving heavy hitters, playing against more physical players and forging their way onto successful careers. Its similar to running backs in football, whereby lower center of gravity with strong cores and solid weight per height ratios, can make player very sturdy and solid on their skates despite shorter height.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
So, you are essentially saying 'Brayden Point' is hopeless? Not in this universe is he hopeless.
Hoglander may persevere and push through to show his skill and abilities with hard work and above average drive can overcomd size obstacle and become a star.
Brayden is outscoring and leading T.B. as much or more than Stamkos and Kucherov!

but point is tiny; can't play along the boards. I'm betting tb trades him sooner than later.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Hogland was pointless again today in 14:40 TOI, +1, in a 3-2 Rogle victory.

That's two pointless games in a row for Nils, so he now drops behind Jurmo on the top prospects list.

Reactions: lawrence

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I am hoping we dont see him or podkolzin traded for OEL, both to me are unique in what they might possibly bring this team.

Reactions: lawrence

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Hoglander is my dark-horse pick to make the Canucks out of training camp. But if he doesn't, he can simply return to the SHL to play out the season.

The Canucks are fortunate that their two top prospects--Podkolzin and Hoglander--have leagues to play in. Other prospects in the pipeline, including those drafted in a few days, won't be so lucky.

They could end up in training sites like MLB, practicing and playing inter-squad games. Hardly ideal for their development.

Hoglander have like close to 0% chance of making the team next year. He is definitely a good prospect but I do find him a little overrated. He should make it to the nhl. Most likely a middle 6 winger or lower end 2nd line winger.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Generalizing here, but "physics aspect" does bode well for many a shorter hockey player who is 185+lbs to have success in battling for pucks, surviving heavy hitters, playing against more physical players and forging their way onto successful careers. Its similar to running backs in football, whereby lower center of gravity with strong cores and solid weight per height ratios, can make player very sturdy and solid on their skates despite shorter height.

unless you have long legs and high center for gravity a la Mason Raymond

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hogland was pointless again today in 14:40 TOI, +1, in a 3-2 Rogle victory.

That's two pointless games in a row for Nils, so he now drops behind Jurmo on the top prospects list.
Ooh-oh. Draft bust! Put him back on the Prsss box shelf to collect bust-dust. Next years trade bait now.
High draft pedigree and expectation, just not a fit here for him. Please give us your top pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad