Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Gudas is more intimidating than Zadorov, is better at hockey and is a right shot. Wouldn’t be a bad guy to pair with Byram in the bottom pairing next season. I’d be fine with him on 1 year deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gudas is more intimidating than Zadorov, is better at hockey and is a right shot. Wouldn’t be a bad guy to pair with Byram in the bottom pairing next season. I’d be fine with him on 1 year deal.

It probably takes a 3 year deal to get him to sign though. He'd certainly make the Avs better and brings a lot more than Z does.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Gudas is a dirty player. Just personally speaking I would really not like seeing a cheapshot artist like him wearing our jersey. Does he improve our RD situation? Probably, but I really dislike players that cross the line as often as he does. At this point, there are no excuses left for his dangerous hits.

Reactions: arun

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see the Avs being in the market for a defenseman like Gudas unless he'd only sign a one year deal, and would be ok with potentially being a healthy scratch. Both of which seem unlikely.

Even if they trade Zadorov, there would only be one spot on D up for grabs, and Byram and Timmins both have a shot at it.

My guess is they'll sign a low maintenance depth D in UFA, that's ok with being a 7/8, and leave room for both Byram and Timmins to eventually bump Cole out of the lineup.

Reactions: shadow1 and Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gudas is a dirty player. Just personally speaking I would really not like seeing a cheapshot artist like him wearing our jersey. Does he improve our RD situation? Probably, but I really dislike players that cross the line as often as he does. At this point, there are no excuses left for his dangerous hits.

We loved Forsberg and Foote... when they are dirty for us, we love them. When they are dirty against us we hate them.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You must not remember his moments. He was infamous for the wind up spear to the groin or stomach and the cross check to the head after the whistle
Different era of hockey. During that time you could hook, slash, and hold all day long. Foote used to ride the other teams top players piggyback for entire shifts and not get penalized. That's out of the game now and rightfully so. Gudas is just reckless and dangerous, and I dislike that kind of player on principle.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I sincerely hope that's not the sole reason you'd not want him.

Him being nothing special and a 30+ bottom pairing defenseman is another reason, especially since you already have EJ and Cole under contract. I'd take my chances with giving Timmins every opportunity to win that spot in the lineup and him possibly not being ready for it than signing Gudas and not even giving Timmins a shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Different era of hockey. During that time you could hook, slash, and hold all day long. Foote used to ride the other teams top players piggyback for entire shifts and not get penalized. That's out of the game now and rightfully so. Gudas is just reckless and dangerous, and I dislike that kind of player on principle.

Oh it was definitely a different era, but that doesn't change nearly every player talking about Forsberg back in the day throwing in that he was a dirty player. He was considered a dirty player, when the whole league was dirty. Standard and eras change, but the Avs have had their fair share of dirty players and will continue to have dirty players. Hell, our #2C has a reputation.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Of course the concept exists, but no team follows their list 100% and always drafts their next BPA... so beyond it not even being a consensus BPA league wide, teams don't follow it to the T. It has become a PR term that GMs and head scouts can trumpet, but doesn't fully reflect how a room operates.
We are arguing the same thing here. I was just commenting on somebody saying BPA was a myth.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We are arguing the same thing here. I was just commenting on somebody saying BPA was a myth.

The myth is that there's a BPA in a vacuum and teams should just take him regardless of everything else. Like teams could submit their list before the draft and a computer would make the picks for them and always take the highest guy on their list that's still available. That's the hfboard myth.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting take on Graves....

The words "rare talent' and "elite defensive defender" do not go with Ryan Graves. And he certainly doesn't deserve $5.6M after just one full season in the NHL.

Some people lose their mind with Graves for some reason. He's a solid #4 defenseman. Nothing more. He's a small upgrade on Cole and Zadorov in terms of reliability, but he still makes plenty of mistakes every game, with and without the puck.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Some people lose their mind with Graves for some reason. He's a solid #4 defenseman. Nothing more. He's a small upgrade on Cole and Zadorov in terms of reliability, but he still makes plenty of mistakes every game, with and without the puck.

True. But he's still what every reasonable person would have hoped Bigras would become. So who cares if people are high on him or not, he's doing well.

Reactions: LTC Pain and Avs_19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
True. But he's still what every reasonable person would have hoped Bigras would become. So who cares if people are high on him or not, he's doing well.

Yeah but we weren't talking about Bigras. We were talking about that tweet that said Graves is an elite defensive defender worth $5.6M.

Barberio, Connauton, and Lindholm are better than what Bigras has become unfortunately. That's not a high bar.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, Graves is solid. He probably plays a bit too much and makes his share of mistakes, including some glaring ones, so he deserves criticism from time to time but it's nice to see how he has developed. I don't know what his market value is as a RFA but it shouldn't be too crazy.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'll be curious to see how Graves does in the playoffs. Seeing him doing well after such a long break would give me hope for the next couple of years.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bigras’ first 25ish games for the Avs were very promising. His willingness to get crushed to make a play unfortunately started the concussion trend.

Reactions: shadow1

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, there's no way in hell he's an "elite" defensive defender. He does a good job and has perfect chemistry with Makar right now, but he plays too many minutes and that makes him look better than he is.

He's a rich man's Nick Holden, which is a useful and valuable player in your top 4 but not somebody you want to be paying more than 3-4m.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah, there's no way in hell he's an "elite" defensive defender. He does a good job and has perfect chemistry with Makar right now, but he plays too many minutes and that makes him look better than he is.

He's a rich man's Nick Holden, which is a useful and valuable player in your top 4 but not somebody you want to be paying more than 3-4m.
So probably a good guy to be the #4 for a few years until Timmins is ready to take over.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad