Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
NJ and Ottawa could be interesting potential 1st round trade partners as they both have 3 first round picks, and they may well make a swap to ensure that they land the players they want.

Let's say that they get the picks as they stand now: Ottawa have #2, #3, #21, and NJ have #6, #10, and #17.

It could thus play out like this:

- Ottawa pick Byfield at #2.
- Ottawa then trade #3 and #21 to NJ for #6 and #17 (+ something extra).
- NJ picks a forward at 3.
- Ottawa pick Drysdale at #6.
- NJ pick someone at No.10.
- Ottawa can then use #17 and their extra 2nd's to move up from #17 to #12-14 to select Askarov if he's there still.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
See, Dylan DeMelo was traded for a 3rd round pick straight up, and he was pretty highly regarded. I would expect a similar return for Zadorov, and if you're really lucky you get a 2nd from a good team.
DeMelo was a pending UFA though. Big difference.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
NJ and Ottawa could be interesting potential 1st round trade partners as they both have 3 first round picks, and they may well make a swap to ensure that they land the players they want.

Let's say that they get the picks as they stand now: Ottawa have #2, #3, #21, and NJ have #6, #10, and #17.

- Ottawa can then use #17 and their extra 2nd's to move up from #17 to #12-14 to select Askarov if he's there still.
Thing is, NJ likely want Drysdale even more than Ottawa.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
DeMelo was a pending UFA though. Big difference.

Not really a big difference, no. I believe Zadorov only has one year of RFA status remaining? I think he's UFA following next season. He also made $3.2mil this past season, so you'd have to commit that much to him moving forward.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Not really a big difference, no. I believe Zadorov only has one year of RFA status remaining? I think he's UFA following next season. He also made $3.2mil this past season, so you'd have to commit that much to him moving forward.
DeMelo had to be moved right then or he would walk for nothing 3 months later. Zadorov still has 1 year left of team control, and a team can still negotiate exclusively to sign him to a long term contract.

Reactions: Brett44

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Thing is, NJ likely want Drysdale even more than Ottawa.
Perhaps they make the deal based on NJ not picking Drysdale. But I suppose LA and Anaheim are equally big risks.

Maybe Ottawa should just pick the player they want at #3 and then use their 2nd rounders to trade up the NYI pick enough to where they want to pick.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
I think people are going to be very disappointed in the return if that’s what you’re expecting. Burakovsky was dealt for a 2nd + 3rd, so you’re essentially expecting to recoup those picks with Zadorov?

Zadorov had a CF% of 47% this season. He’s a 5th defenseman at best, and doesn’t have a contract.
Burakovsky is a really poor comparison, and plays wing and had a really expensive qualifying offer. In contrast Z is a huge defensive D man that can skate and is still young, which is way more valuable. Zadorav could easily carve out a 2nd paring role on a significant amount of teams in the NHL

Reactions: Richard88

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
See, Dylan DeMelo was traded for a 3rd round pick straight up, and he was pretty highly regarded. I would expect a similar return for Zadorov, and if you're really lucky you get a 2nd from a good team.
Demelo was a UFA rental at the deadline, not an RFA

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Hope you all are staying safe!
Can Byram play in the A next year?
I think playing it safe: keeping Timmins and Byram in the A together next year.
1. Make sure what you have in Graves
2. Make sure what you have in Z
3. No rush at all on prospects.
I actually think we should sign Z to a 2 year 4ish mil deal and grab a decent RD.
4+ is ok when we're paying our #2 in this situation 0.735 mil.

Makar / Graves
EJ / Girard
Good Rd / Z

Seattle takes ones of Z, Graves, good RD keeping our forward depth

Makar / Byram
Good RD or EJ / Girard
Timmins / Z or Graves

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just thinking about Landy’s next contract.

I hope the Avs can keep his cap hit at $6M, or less. I might even consider going long term to keep the AAV a little lower. Even like 7 years, if that’s what it takes.

As much as you know the contract wouldn’t age well, it would help to navigate the cap for the next 4/5 years. Even when Landy’s play drops off, he could play a 3rd line role because of his defensive IQ.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Burakovsky is a really poor comparison, and plays wing and had a really expensive qualifying offer. In contrast Z is a huge defensive D man that can skate and is still young, which is way more valuable. Zadorav could easily carve out a 2nd paring role on a significant amount of teams in the NHL
Z is 25. I mean he isn’t old but potential is kind of out the window for him now. He is what he is at this point. A good skating guy who makes big hits.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
BPA is such on myth on HF. There's no such thing as BPA passed #1 this year. For a while there was what seemed to be a clear cut "BPA" at #2 but that's not even the case anymore.

It's Lafreniere then it's "who do you we think is best for our team" in a pool of maybe 5 different players. If Dorion gets to pick twice in that pool and Drysdale is there then he could absolutely pick him and call him his "BPA".

It 100% does, but it's not off consensus rankings like you're alluding to.

Every team has a different scouting list, it would definitely be a mistake passing on BPA on their teams list over a player that fits a 'need'. Each team has a process of determining BPA before accounting for positional need, and the Senators are better this than most considering their drafting success.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I hope the Avs can keep his cap hit at $6M, or less. I might even consider going long term to keep the AAV a little lower. Even like 7 years, if that’s what it takes.

As much as you know the contract wouldn’t age well, it would help to navigate the cap for the next 4/5 years. Even when Landy’s play drops off, he could play a 3rd kind role because of his defensive IQ.
No doubt he will take a hometown discount, but 6m is not going to cut it. He'll get paid based on what he is now, not what he will be at the end of the deal.

Likely HFAvs will be up in arms about hating the deal, but it is what it is and that's how UFA works for stars. We're lucky he isn't the type to go squeezing Sakic for a massive payday at the roster's expense.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hopefully Zad takes another star out of a series and getgets his trade value as a solid 2nd. Lot of guys I like in the 2nd round range.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

La or Anaheim take Drysdale before 6.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Hope you all are staying safe!
Can Byram play in the A next year?
I think playing it safe: keeping Timmins and Byram in the A together next year.
1. Make sure what you have in Graves
2. Make sure what you have in Z
3. No rush at all on prospects.
I actually think we should sign Z to a 2 year 4ish mil deal and grab a decent RD.
4+ is ok when we're paying our #2 in this situation 0.735 mil.

Makar / Graves
EJ / Girard
Good Rd / Z

Seattle takes ones of Z, Graves, good RD keeping our forward depth

Makar / Byram
Good RD or EJ / Girard
Timmins / Z or Graves
After 6+ years and 350+ games in the league I think it's safe to say that we know what Zadorov is.

As for your other points, I agree that we are in a position to be able to slow-cook prospects and not have to introduce prospects until they are absolutely ready, and we absolutely should follow that path.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
La or Anaheim take Drysdale before 6.
Yes you're probably right. Best for Ottawa to just take whichever guy it is they want rather than trading down. They have enough ammunition in later rounds to be able to trade up with the NYI 1st anyways.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-8_8-27-59.png
    upload_2020-6-8_8-27-59.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 3

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

As much as you know the contract wouldn’t age well, it would help to navigate the cap for the next 4/5 years. Even when Landy’s play drops off, he could play a 3rd line role because of his defensive IQ.
$6m is very unlikely. He would have to have a terrible year next year, and even then it's probably a push for him to get that low. Landeskog could probably ask for a contract that starts with an 8, but hopefully we can keep it closer to £7m.

Perhaps a flat cap in the next 1-2 seasons could work in our favour with regards to his (and Makar and Grubauer's) contract.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It 100% does, but it's not off consensus rankings like you're alluding to.

Every team has a different scouting list, it would definitely be a mistake passing on BPA on their teams list over a player that fits a 'need'. Each team has a process of determining BPA before accounting for positional need, and the Senators are better this than most considering their drafting success.
That's exactly the myth I'm talking about. The good ol' list.

Since BPA in a vacuum doesn't exist, it all comes down to preferences. Things like character, position and who else we picked in the draft can and do play a big role in "preferences". It's for that reason that a team won't be picking several goalies in a row or that Dorion might pick Drysdale at #3 if he's picking #2 and #3 but might pass on Drysdale at #3 if he's picking #3 and #5.

GM's draft for position all the time, even in the top 5 (guys like Kotkaniemi, PLD and more than likely even Makar). Last year Yzerman drafted who he thought would be the best defenseman available.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
$6m is very unlikely. He would have to have a terrible year next year, and even then it's probably a push for him to get that low. Landeskog could probably ask for a contract that starts with an 8, but hopefully we can keep it closer to £7m.

Perhaps a flat cap in the next 1-2 seasons could work in our favour with regards to his (and Makar and Grubauer's) contract.

He’s a career average 60-point player, so I don’t think he’s getting $8M.

He’s definitely due for a raise though. I just wonder if a longer term and knowing he could get his retirement contract might push down the AAV.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
He’s a career average 60-point player, so I don’t think he’s getting $8M.

He’s definitely due for a raise though. I just wonder if a longer term and knowing he could get his retirement contract might push down the AAV.
Based on the Hayes and Lee contracts I'd say the absolute minimum Landeskog can expect is $7m. And he has a solid case for $8m.

Kevin Hayes --- $7.142m x 7 years ----- career high 55 points, average probably 45.
Anders Lee ------- $7m x 7 years ------- career high 62, averages about 50 points.
Landeskog ------- ??? x ? years -------- career high 75 points, averages about 65 (apart from the 2016/17)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Based on the Hayes and Lee contracts I'd say the absolute minimum Landeskog can expect is $7m. And he has a solid case for $8m.

Kevin Hayes --- $7.142m x 7 years ---- career high 55 points, average probably 45.
Anders Lee ----- $7m x 7 years ------- career high 62, averages about 50 points.
Landeskog ------- ??? x ? years -------- career high 75 points, averages about 65 (apart from the 2016/17)

Unless my math is wrong he averages 60, not 65, but either way not a large difference.

He should definitely get Andres Lee money. I wonder if going 8 years would keep it high 6’s, or 7 even.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll be shocked if it isn't in the 8s. His pacing was 67 points this year, and that is with a fairly bad stretch. Coming off a 75 and 62 point seasons prior. He's the captain, main face of the franchise, 1st line lever scorer, and key locker room cog. The contract isn't likely to age well, and we probably all won't be thrilled with it... but he's getting paid.

Reactions: McMetal

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'll be shocked if it isn't in the 8s. His pacing was 67 points this year, and that is with a fairly bad stretch. Coming off a 75 and 62 point seasons prior. He's the captain, main face of the franchise, 1st line lever scorer, and key locker room cog. The contract isn't likely to age well, and we probably all won't be thrilled with it... but he's getting paid.

Bingo.

The only hope for keeping it down is Landeskog himself willing to take a little less (but still "get paid") in order to have more money to spread around the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad