Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t think the Avs will go after a defenceman of substance this offseason. Maybe a 7th D kind of guy, but I don’t see them doing anything more than that.

This year they showed they’re willing to bank on their youth and I believe they’ll do it again.

As much as it would be good to limit EJ’s minutes, I think the Avs value him more than we do.

You also gotta believe they want one of Byram, or Timmins on the roster next season.

Reactions: Foppa2118

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don’t think the Avs will go after a defenceman of substance this offseason. Maybe a 7th D kind of guy, but I don’t see them doing anything more than that.

This year they showed they’re willing to bank on their youth and I believe they’ll do it again.

As much as it would be good to limit EJ’s minutes, I think the Avs value him more than we do.

You also gotta believe they want one of Byram, or Timmins on the roster next season.
Agreed. Shore up the 7/8 D depth and give Byram every chance to make it as a sheltered bottom pair guy to start, and hopefully give Timmins a run at cracking the lineup too. I don't love EJ in the top 4 either but you can't solve that problem without blocking Byram and Timmins even if you do move on from Z at the draft.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ isn't going to be pushed out of the top 4 until both Byram and Timmins make the lineup and get comfortable in the NHL.

He hasn't even been pushed out of the top pair yet. Despite what some of his haters say, EJ is still the Avs #2 defenseman in average minutes at both even strength and overall.

The way EJ's game is characterized by some here is pretty inaccurate IMO. He's still the Avs best defenseman defensively, and to be #2 in minutes on a team that was two points behind 1st in the West with a game in hand, is a testament to how well he's played in that role.

The Avs were also 3rd in the West, and 5th in the NHL in goals against, with some inconsistent goaltending.

You don't have all that success if your #2D is a massively declining bottom pairing D man. He still contributes a lot defensively, and covers for the current #1D Girard's weaknesses in front of the net, and below the goal line.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
EJ is toast. He's barely able to skate forward anymore. He reminds me of a near retirement Foote but with more shot attempts from the point.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bennett needs a change of scenery, and I thought of a Jost for Bennett swap. Thoughts? Bennett would be an ideal 3rd line C/LW. You can look at his stats all you want and see an unappealing player, but I think this guy got the short end of the stick being on a team that is deep on LW, and centers that play the center position better than him. There's Bennett, or maybe Jankowski if you need a bottom 6 center that plays extremely well on the PK?

Either Bennett or Jankowski for Jost?

Figured I'd post it here rather than hearing a bunch of ignorant HF users that know nothing about the needs of our respective teams.

Also, congratulations on earning a bye in the 24 team format.

Reactions: Linds

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Bennett needs a change of scenery, and I thought of a Jost for Bennett swap. Thoughts? Bennett would be an ideal 3rd line C/LW. You can look at his stats all you want and see an unappealing player, but I think this guy got the short end of the stick being on a team that is deep on LW, and centers that play the center position better than him. There's Bennett, or maybe Jankowski if you need a bottom 6 center that plays extremely well on the PK?

Figured I'd post it here rather than hearing a bunch of ignorant HF users that know nothing about the needs of our respective teams.

I think a Jost/Bennett swap would make some sense. I think Bennett’s shithousery and play style would be a welcome addition to our bottom 6.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I'm for it. Either player would fill the gaping 3C hole and help with the PK. It would be nice to get a more "middle six" type of guy who can play up in case of injuries, but you can't get everything you want all the time and if the price is only Jost I'll take that deal

Reactions: AvsMakaw8

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I am a big fan of the Avalanche, they're a fun team to watch. You'd have Landeskog, Kadri, and Bennett all on different lines to wreak havoc.
Calvert and Nichuskin belong in that conversation as well.

It's possibly too early to give up on Jost, but realistically he's not going to break into our top 6 and Bennett's physical game fits better in the bottom 6, so I'd be inclined to agree to that deal as well.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
That would be a perfect deal for us. If Calgary is looking for something like this I would hope Joe would be all over it.
I don't know about that. The "perfect" trade involving Jost is probably one where he's packaged with a pick and/or prospect to acquire a top 6 forward, rather than a 1-for-1.

In a 1-for-1 Jost trade it would be a suitable return though.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't know about that. The "perfect" trade involving Jost is probably one where he's packaged with a pick and/or prospect to acquire a top 6 forward, rather than a 1-for-1.

In a 1-for-1 Jost trade it would be a suitable return though.

It would essentially be a Nieto replacement.

Bennett has disappointed just as much as Jost has to this point. Personally, I think Jost has a little more upside.

Bennett fits better in a bottom-6 role, so it makes sense from that perspective.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm for it. Either player would fill the gaping 3C hole and help with the PK. It would be nice to get a more "middle six" type of guy who can play up in case of injuries, but you can't get everything you want all the time and if the price is only Jost I'll take that deal
Bennett doesn't play on the PK, and hasn't been playing a lot at center for Calgary (though his faceoff % is certainly a lot better than Jost's).

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I am a big fan of the Avalanche, they're a fun team to watch. You'd have Landeskog, Kadri, and Bennett all on different lines to wreak havoc.

Agree with the other AVs fans on the proposal. He provides the toughness AVs need. Jost is a better fit In the style of play for CGY.

Reactions: Czarchuk

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm no fan of Tyson Jost but I wouldn't make that deal. I'd rather trade him for a draft pick.

Sam Bennett is an incredibly inconsistent player and not just statistically. For a player touted as a **** disturber and "rough and tough", he's not nearly consistent enough in that regard and takes a lot of nights off.

I wouldn't play him any higher than the 4th line if he was on this team, the same way I wouldn't play Tyson Jost higher than the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad