Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Although this was even very obvious at the time, I hope GMs learned from last expansion draft. The way to cripple your team is to get cute with it.
I hope the only person that has learned is Sakic.

By all means, let the GM's in the Central Division cripple their teams trying to not get ****ed by the expansion draft, and instead ****ing themselves even worse.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Kamenev has impressed me in spurts. His edge work and agility is actually really really good. Guy can turn on a dime and create space with his skating. Unfortunately we rarely see it because it comes from playing with confidence and he doesn’t start creating that space until he’s feeling completely confident. He’s never going to achieve that confidence with his timid play which will prevent him from getting opportunity.

I could see him working out somewhere eventually but it’ll have to be a bad forward group. For example if he went somewhere like Columbus/Ottawa and played top 6 minutes in pre-season and absolutely lit it up with some quality linemates. He’s never going to be an impact forward in a team where he’s pencilled in as a 13th forward and needs to work his way up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's less of a perimeter player, but his situational awareness was significantly worse. He put himself into really dangerous situations several times, and quite a few of his injuries were due to putting himself in vulnerable positions.
What do they have in common outside of laziness and speaking Russian?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
When a player is so situationally unaware, they almost never work out. I'm not sure I've seen a player get blown up so much, in so few of minutes.
That’s why I’m shocked Kerfoot can still walk. I’ve never seen a player less aware of his surroundings. He’s agile enough to get out of the way I guess.

Those East-West players who are unaware of their surroundings and get in their teammates way are the players I hate most. That’s why I loathe PAP, Kerfoot, Donskoi etc. despite their solid production.

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That’s why I’m shocked Kerfoot can still walk. I’ve never seen a player less aware of his surroundings. He’s agile enough to get out of the way I guess.

Those East-West players who are unaware of their surroundings and get in their teammates way are the players I hate most. That’s why I loathe PAP, Kerfoot, Donskoi etc. despite their solid production.

Kerfoot was no Trevor Letowski. I hope that guy's okay these days. For such a fast skater he got absolutely wrecked out there during his career.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Kerfoot was no Trevor Letowski. I hope that guy's okay these days. For such a fast skater he got absolutely wrecked out there during his career.
Anyone remember Chris Bigras?
I loved him but man did he ever get blown up a lot. For him I don’t even think it was situational awareness. He was actually quite smart. I think it was just his over-willingness to take a hit to make a play.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyone remember Chris Bigras?
I loved him but man did he ever get blown up a lot. For him I don’t even think it was situational awareness. He was actually quite smart. I think it was just his over-willingness to take a hit to make a play.

I'd argue that is part and parcel of situational awareness. Offensive creativity and talent aren't mutually exclusive to situational awareness. You have to know when not to enter those kinds of situations when they arise, or at the very least be ready to make the play and take the eventual hit. Some guys are elite at taking hits. Cliff Ronning once said that if he hadn't learned how to roll off checks his NHL career would've been a hell of a lot shorter than it was. The thing I noticed just watching Kamenev getting demolished by future Avs legend Brooks Orpik is that his head is up, he KNOWS Orpik is there and ready to lay a solid check, and yet when impact comes he's completely unprepared, his head whips back and he falls like a broken marionette.

Anyway, I'm not really refuting what you're saying here though. I didn't see enough of Bigras before his NHL career went off the rails to really say anything definitive one way or another. I just know what I've read, that he had all the talent, but a shaky work ethic, and the injuries essentially turned him into a perimeter player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's less of a perimeter player, but his situational awareness was significantly worse. He put himself into really dangerous situations several times, and quite a few of his injuries were due to putting himself in vulnerable positions.

Kamenev has narrowly avoided getting steamrolled multiple times too, on top of the times he did get blown up. I noticed it multiple times during pre-season, and he got lucky a few other times during the regular season.

He's got a really bad habit of skating with his head down that he for some reason hasn't been able to get over. He does it all the time.

If he stays in NA, I'm actually afraid he's gonna get another bad concussion, because when he gets hit without seeing the hit coming, he takes the full brunt of it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kamenev has narrowly avoided getting steamrolled multiple times too, on top of the times he did get blown up. I noticed it multiple times during pre-season, and he got lucky a few other times during the regular season.

He's got a really bad habit of skating with his head down that he for some reason hasn't been able to get over. He does it all the time.

If he stays in NA, I'm actually afraid he's gonna get another bad concussion, because when he gets hit without seeing the hit coming, he takes the full brunt of it.

And when he DOES see the hit coming, he still takes the full brunt of it.

I mean, it's kinda unfair seeing it in slo-mo because in real time it happens pretty fast, but you can see Kamenev has his head up, no way he's not seeing Orpik there. And yet he looks completely unprepared for the hit.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I mean, it's kinda unfair seeing it in slo-mo because in real time it happens pretty fast, but you can see Kamenev has his head up, no way he's not seeing Orpik there. And yet he looks completely unprepared for the hit.

Yeah I can't figure out if he just processes the play too slowly in those situations, or if he just doesn't think guys are going to hit him like that.

Very few players, if any in the NHL would have been hit like that there. They'd have bailed on the play as soon as they got the puck, or angled away from the hit instead of skating right into it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I can't figure out if he just processes the play too slowly in those situations, or if he just doesn't think guys are going to hit him like that.

Very few players, if any in the NHL would have been hit like that there. They'd have bailed on the play as soon as they got the puck, or angled away from the hit instead of skating right into it.

Agreed. That's why I kinda felt like he just wasn't NHL material when I saw that hit. You can't be taught hockey sense that basic. It has to already be there, or...well...that happens.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

He probably thought he could Foppa his way out of that one.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

All I hear in my head after that hit is the old school Madden play by play (when John Madden was still doing it):

and WHAP! HE GOT DEVELOPED!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Would you say it’s “inconceivable”?
Vizzini.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How about a 1 year deal for Shattenkirk to solidify RHD next season until Byram and/or Timmins have proved themselves?

The market for him might might be limited due to the flat cap, so maybe he'd consider a 1 year deal with a contender at a slightly inflated AAV. I'm not sure what AAV it would take, but we do after all have the capspace to outbid other teams to make it happen. Fwiw Shattenkirk is also familiar with Denver having been drafted by and playing his rookie season with Colorado.

Adding him would boost PP2 and add another excellent puck-mover to the bottom 2 pairs, thus enabling us to play Girard and Makar together:

Girard --- Makar
Graves -- Shattenkirk
Byram --- Johnson
Cole

Alternatively if Byram isn't ready then we could roll with:

Graves --- Makar
Girard ---- Johnson
Cole ------ Shattenkirk

In that scenario we would have replaced Zadorov with Shattenkirk, thus giving the 3rd pair an excellent puck-mover which would allow us to control transitions for 60 minutes.

Curious to hear some thoughts on this idea...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How about a 1 year deal for Shattenkirk to solidify RHD next season until Byram and/or Timmins have proved themselves?

The market for him might might be limited due to the flat cap, so maybe he'd consider a 1 year deal with a contender at a slightly inflated AAV. I'm not sure what AAV it would take, but we do after all have the capspace to outbid other teams to make it happen. Fwiw Shattenkirk is also familiar with Denver having been drafted by and playing his rookie season with Colorado.

Adding him would boost PP2 and add another excellent puck-mover to the bottom 2 pairs, thus enabling us to play Girard and Makar together:

Girard --- Makar
Graves -- Shattenkirk
Byram --- Johnson
Cole

Alternatively if Byram isn't ready then we could roll with:

Graves --- Makar
Girard ---- Johnson
Cole ------ Shattenkirk

In that scenario we would have replaced Zadorov with Shattenkirk, thus giving the 3rd pair an excellent puck-mover which would allow us to control transitions for 60 minutes.

Curious to hear some thoughts on this idea...

If the idea is to bring in an interim guy to stabilize the back end while two young defensemen find their NHL game, I don't think Shattenkirk is the type of player you bring in. Besides, he's a relatively inexpensive option for TB and the Rangers are still paying him. I think they'll work something out, and if not, he'll go somewhere where he still gets to play a larger role.

Reactions: Richard88

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ideally, you would want a guy on a one year deal who can play in the top 4 better than EJ, but is also OK with being a 6/7D on a healthy squad if Timmins takes his spot. That's not going to be easy to find.

Let's face it: if they're scratching a right defenseman next year in favor of Timmins, it isn't going to be EJ, as much as some people want that to be the case.

You can either get a top 4 D to push EJ down to the bottom pair with Cole and accept that there's not going to be any room for Timmins next year, or you can get a 5/6 type who can be easily scratched if he breaks into the NHL.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Ideally, you would want a guy on a one year deal who can play in the top 4 better than EJ, but is also OK with being a 6/7D on a healthy squad if Timmins takes his spot. That's not going to be easy to find.

Let's face it: if they're scratching a right defenseman next year in favor of Timmins, it isn't going to be EJ, as much as some people want that to be the case.

You can either get a top 4 D to push EJ down to the bottom pair with Cole and accept that there's not going to be any room for Timmins next year, or you can get a 5/6 type who can be easily scratched if he breaks into the NHL.
How about Roland McKeown from Carolina? He's an all-round RHD who's been progressing well but is stuck in Carolina's depth chart and unlikely to make the team anytime soon, and could be available fairly cheaply.

He's been a defensive staple on the best PK unit in the AHL this season, and could be an ideal 7D for us in that he can do a job on the 3rd pairing while also not kicking up a fuss if he's not in the NHL lineup.

Overall he seems to me like a guy who could become the next Ryan Graves in the right situation as a 24 year old late bloomer.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How about Roland McKeown from Carolina? He's an all-round RHD who's been progressing well but is stuck in Carolina's depth chart and unlikely to make the team anytime soon, and could be available fairly cheaply.

He's been a defensive staple on the best PK unit in the AHL this season, and could be an ideal 7D for us in that he can do a job on the 3rd pairing while also not kicking up a fuss if he's not in the NHL lineup.

Overall he seems to me like a guy who could become the next Ryan Graves in the right situation as a 24 year old late bloomer.
I like him OK, but the problem is he isn't going to scratch the itch for the posters who want to push EJ out of the top 4. My point is that you can't accomplish both goals at once.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad