Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schelstatic

Jul 20, 2010
It could be a possibility I guess... Though they probably go 4 and 4 rather than 5D and 3F.

Kadri will certainly be protected, Landeskog will also.

Nate
Mikko
Gabe
Kadri

Makar
Girard
EJ
Graves/Timmins

Could very well prove to be the direction they ultimately go in. Though in that situation you're potentially exposing a very good Burakovsky, but that may not be a bad thing depending on his performance next season and his contract situation.

But we also have to account for any potential UFA signings this summer as well.

Long story short. We're gonna lose a pretty good player this time around with expansion. But they can only take 1 player which is the nice thing.

Also worth noting that Francouz or Gruby will be exposed as well. Seattle could very well go in that direction as well.
I for one look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the Exp Draft once the time gets closer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I for one look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the Exp Draft once the time gets closer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this now.

I just hope the Avs dont fall victim to the pressure of trying to keep everyone they want to keep, and end up making a really bad trade just to protect a marginal upgrade deeper in the lineup. Like we saw Florida and Anaheim do last time around. Just imagine Anaheim now if they hadn't moved Shea Theodore like they did. That Defense would be killer with him, instead they're going to be rebuilding.

Just accept that we're gonna lose a good player. Protect the key guys, and plan around replacing whatever guy we ultimately lose. Hopefully our prospects actually pan out in the next year or two allowing us to replace JTC/Graves/Donskoi/Burakovsky or whoever we lose with homegrown talent for much cheaper. That kind of result is what extends the cup window an additional couple years.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I just hope the Avs dont fall victim to the pressure of trying to keep everyone they want to keep, and end up making a really bad trade just to protect a marginal upgrade deeper in the lineup. Like we saw Florida and Anaheim do last time around. Just imagine Anaheim now if they hadn't moved Shea Theodore like they did. That Defense would be killer with him, instead they're going to be rebuilding.

Just accept that we're gonna lose a good player. Protect the key guys, and plan around replacing whatever guy we ultimately lose. Hopefully our prospects actually pan out in the next year or two allowing us to replace JTC/Graves/Donskoi/Burakovsky or whoever we lose with homegrown talent for much cheaper. That kind of result is what extends the cup window an additional couple years.

I don’t dislike that idea.

One option I might consider is trading a 1st round pick along with a 4th line player.

I don’t know if Seattle would be willing to do that, but you’d be losing a player who could be swiftly replaced in free agency.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don’t dislike that idea.

One option I might consider is trading a 1st round pick along with a 4th line player.

I don’t know if Seattle would be willing to do that, but you’d be losing a player who could be swiftly replaced in free agency.

My issue with that is, that 1st round pick is so important for us if we want to extend our window beyond the expansion draft really. Especially for a team that struggles with drafting so much we have to be really careful with regards to what draft picks we're giving up and for what benefits.

For example, is it really the best idea to trade a 2021 1st to Seattle, along with say Logan O'Connor(Or whatever quality 4th liner we have at that point), so that we can keep a 4/5 Dman like Graves, or a 2nd line winger like Burakovsky? My personal thoughts would be absolutely not.

If we can get away with moving a 2nd or 3rd or something to keep those guys and lose a 4th liner instead, then sure. But I wouldn't move the 1st round pick.

I think the only scenario regarding expansion where I would move our 1st... Is if EJ truly falls off a cliff this year to the point he's a complete cap dump and we move a 1st for Seattle to take him. A scenario that basically wont happen because EJ has the full NMC and wouldn't waive that just to get dumped to an expansion team, at least I cant imagine him agreeing to that(Maaaaybe if we win a cup between now and then).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My issue with that is, that 1st round pick is so important for us if we want to extend our window beyond the expansion draft really. Especially for a team that struggles with drafting so much we have to be really careful with regards to what draft picks we're giving up and for what benefits.

For example, is it really the best idea to trade a 2021 1st to Seattle, along with say Logan O'Connor(Or whatever quality 4th liner we have at that point), so that we can keep a 4/5 Dman like Graves, or a 2nd line winger like Burakovsky? My personal thoughts would be absolutely not.

If we can get away with moving a 2nd or 3rd or something to keep those guys and lose a 4th liner instead, then sure. But I wouldn't move the 1st round pick.

I think the only scenario regarding expansion where I would move our 1st... Is if EJ truly falls off a cliff this year to the point he's a complete cap dump and we move a 1st for Seattle to take him. A scenario that basically wont happen because EJ has the full NMC and wouldn't waive that just to get dumped to an expansion team, at least I cant imagine him agreeing to that(Maaaaybe if we win a cup between now and then).

I guess I place a lower value on my late first round picks.

It all depends on who Seattle wants to take. I’m sure they’ll let Sakic know and he’ll decide if he wants to make a maneuver to keep them on the roster. I’d rather lose a late first and a guy like LOC than lose Burakovsky, or Graves.

The late first isn’t guaranteed to make it and even if they do, they’re 3/4 years away from helping the current core.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't see how there is any conceivable scene where we don't lose a good player to Seattle. Whether it's Compher, Burakovsky, Graves, or Francouz, somebody is going to go to Seattle that will hurt to lose. We had best start getting used to that now.

We got super lucky last time around that we had no depth worth crying over. It won't happen again.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't see how there is any conceivable scene where we don't lose a good player to Seattle. Whether it's Compher, Burakovsky, Graves, or Francouz, somebody is going to go to Seattle that will hurt to lose. We had best start getting used to that now.

You can add Donskoi and possibly Nuke to that list. I don't think it would hurt that much to lose any of them TBH. If either Graves or Bura becomes too important next season and looks solid going forward we can always find a way to protect one of them.

Reactions: Perratrooper

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You can add Donskoi and possibly Nuke to that list. I don't think it would hurt that much to lose any of them TBH. If either Graves or Bura becomes too important next season and looks solid going forward we can always find a way to protect one of them.
I mean, it won't be a crippling loss. The players that would be crippling to lose can all be protected. But it will sting, and we will bitch about it.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

How about trading a 3rd to steer Seattle away from Francouz? At $2m AAV Francouz is a key piece for us that would be hard to replace without a significant drop in quality after resigning Makar/Landeskog/etc in 2021, so paying a little bit to steer them away from him might be worth it.

In general the way Sakic has structured the goalie contracts makes me think that he's intent on keeping both his goalies. Either by taking advantage of the 'UFA loophole' with Grubauer, or by simply making Francouz as unattractive as possible for Seattle (and thus likely to cost less in terms of a pick to steer them away from him) due to him only having 1 year remaining on his contract in 2021.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I mean, it won't be a crippling loss. The players that would be crippling to lose can all be protected. But it will sting, and we will bitch about it.
We're running basically 5 lines need for the playoffs and will presumably be deep going forwards so I wouldn't lose much sleep over losing our 8th best forward in the ED, whether that ends up being Compher, Donskoi, Nichuskin, Jost, or whoever. It would however be slightly annoying to lose Graves or Francouz.

If Timmins isn't exempt and Johnson doesn't want to waive then it would also be mildly annoying to have to buy out EJ and have some of his cap hit lingering for another 4 seasons - because at this stage I don't see any scenario where we protect EJ and leave Timmins exposed.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
How about trading a 3rd to steer Seattle away from Francouz? At $2m AAV Francouz is a key piece for us that would be hard to replace without a significant drop in quality after resigning Makar/Landeskog/etc in 2021, so paying a little bit to steer them away from him might be worth it.

In general the way Sakic has structured the goalie contracts makes me think that he's intent on keeping both his goalies. Either by taking advantage of the 'UFA loophole' with Grubauer, or by simply making Francouz as unattractive as possible for Seattle (and thus likely to cost less in terms of a pick to steer them away from him) due to him only having 1 year remaining on his contract in 2021.

That's the kind of deal I would maybe consider... Of course depending on what Gruby and Frankie do this year and what the plans are beyond the expansion draft.

I just dont know if Goaltending would be the area I'd want to spend a pick on to protect. Mostly because especially if Francouz plays as well as he did again next year, I just dont see how we could continue rolling with Grubs and Frankie before one of them opts to go elsewhere for a chance to be the undisputed 1G elsewhere.

But ya... depending on how events play out and depending on what our draft pick situation looks like next June, I wouldn't hate moving a 3rd to protect both goalies so long as both goalies still want to be here in the current setup as 1A/1B guys.

Reactions: Richard88

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Looks like Kamanev's rights in the KHL got traded. Potentially foreshadowing an offseason return?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Looks like Kamanev's rights in the KHL got traded. Potentially foreshadowing an offseason return?

Or the team put some feelers out there to gauge interest, and now they're positioning themselves to do be able to make him an offer, should he not play his way into higher favor with the Avs during the playoffs.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Oy! Just suck it up and lose the 3rd line forward and if you don’t have a prospect ready to step in sign a free agent or trade for one. :mad:

If Francouz is worth protecting, let Grub hit free agency and try and resign him or promote Werner as back up until Annunen is ready to graduate.

If they get EJ to waive there is no reason to give Seattle any inducements.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think the writing is on the wall for him.

Realistically he's not going to get any game time in the playoffs unless there's a lot of injuries, as he's effectively the 15th or 16th forward.

He's also unlikely to get much more opportunity going forwards either given that we have Kaut/Bowers/Newhook on the horizon and likely an additional top 6 forward, so unless he gets traded to a team that needs a bottom 6 C and that will give him an opportunity I think it's inevitable that he'll head to the KHL.

The best we can probably hope for is to recoup a mid-round pick for him from a team needing a cheap bottom 6 C, such as Florida/ Arizona/Minnesota or alternatively a rebuilding/retooling team willing to take a chance on him (eg. Detroit/Buffalo). Maybe Columbus would have him, given that they like 6'00''+ centers and since Fenton who drafted him is there now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Doubt he sticks around. No big loss. I mean, the guy ran into a stationary object in one of his first shifts for the Avalanche and broke his arm. There have been tiny sparks of something there, but nothing that tells me he's truly NHL material. Sheldon Dries has been more consistent in the NHL than this guy.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Doubt he sticks around. No big loss. I mean, the guy ran into a stationary object in one of his first shifts for the Avalanche and broke his arm. There have been tiny sparks of something there, but nothing that tells me he's truly NHL material. Sheldon Dries has been more consistent in the NHL than this guy.
Am I wrong for thinking he reminds of Grigorenko but with way less talent to fall back on?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think that's an apt comparison. I think Kamenev wasn't quite as much of a perimeter player but also wasn't nearly as skilled.

He's less of a perimeter player, but his situational awareness was significantly worse. He put himself into really dangerous situations several times, and quite a few of his injuries were due to putting himself in vulnerable positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad