Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 5.1 | Pre-Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Maybe not 9, but I'll be shocked if it doesn't start with an 8.

IMO he gets EJ's contract adjusted for inflation/cap.

EJ's got ~8.5% of the cap at the time...which would be 6.9M this year and roughly 7M next year. I'm expecting an AAV somewhere between 7M and 7.5M for 6 or 7 years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

EJ's got ~8.5% of the cap at the time...which would be 6.9M this year and roughly 7M next year. I'm expecting an AAV somewhere between 7M and 7.5M for 6 or 7 years.

Wishful thinking, likely not gonna happen. He'd be taking quite the "hometown discount" if he did.

The market has blown way past $6 million AAV for players like that.

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Landy is better than Lee and Lee got 7 this summer. Two more seasons and better should push over a million. If it is a penny less than 8, Landy took a discount

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Landy is better than Lee and Lee got 7 this summer. Two more seasons and better should push over a million. If it is a penny less than 8, Landy took a discount
On the flip side the Avs could easily argue that Lee is overpaid and pay Landy something in the 7s. 8M+ for Landy is a bit rich for my liking. With that said the Avs will remain loyal to Landy just like they will with EJ for saying they wanted to be part of the solution in Colorado.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Rants took less money, Mack says he's going to take less money, EJ showed loyalty back when the team was in a rough patch...I don't believe for a second that Landy will try to go full Toronto and squeeze every penny he can out of his next deal.

7M to 7.5M and the contract will still be bad for the team long term.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Maybe not 9, but I'll be shocked if it doesn't start with an 8.

I’m personally terrified at the thought of extending Landeskog 8 years. I love him as a captain, but he’s literally the perfect candidate for a guy whose production is going to fall off a cliff after 30. Not to mention he’s been just okay this year. I don’t think he should get anymore than $7.5 per, and I’d be more focused on a shorter term if possible.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rants took less money, Mack says he's going to take less money, EJ showed loyalty back when the team was in a rough patch...I don't believe for a second that Landy will try to go full Toronto and squeeze every penny he can out of his next deal.

7M to 7.5M and the contract will still be bad for the team long term.

Rants took less money...and still got paid. EJ "showed loyalty" by getting about as much as he could. These guys taking a discount because they like their situation doesn't mean they're going to leave 10 million on the table.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m personally terrified at the thought of extending Landeskog 8 years. I love him as a captain, but he’s literally the perfect candidate for a guy whose production is going to fall off a cliff after 30. Not to mention he’s been just okay this year. I don’t think he should get anymore than $7.5 per, and I’d be more focused on a shorter term if possible.

Yeah, that contract will be a problem that we have to work around. It is what it is; we already have our Seabrook.

Reactions: ibengals

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Personally I wouldn't go more than 5 years for Landy just like with Kreider but I just don't see the Avs giving him only 5 years. I think Landy will take a bit less to stay with the Avs longer.

Winning a Cup this year or next would go a long way in letting go some of that loyalty towards these two guys though. Once they win they could say they have fulfill most of that loyalty and then be easier in their minds to trade them or buy him out in EJ's case.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On the flip side the Avs could easily argue that Lee is overpaid and pay Landy something in the 7s. 8M+ for Landy is a bit rich for my liking. With that said the Avs will remain loyal to Landy just like they will with EJ for saying they wanted to be part of the solution in Colorado.

Lee got 7m, Hayes got 7.14m, JVR got 7m, E Kane got 7m... 7m is just the market rate for those level of players as a UFA. Two years of growth on top of it, and Landy being better... 8+m.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Lee got 7m, Hayes got 7.14m, JVR got 7m, E Kane got 7m... 7m is just the market rate for those level of players as a UFA. Two years of growth on top of it, and Landy being better... 8+m.

Yeah, but hometown discount factored in and...

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
And I would argue that everyone of them are ending up being overpaid. I guess we'll need to pay Donskoi and Bura 7M as well then? I'll grant you that Landy brings more to the table than all those guys but it's not because a bunch of them were overpaid by their GM that we should do it as well. 7.5M for Landy IMO is fair.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If Landy wants 7+ for 5-7 years we should probably walk away. He'll be 29 turning 30 that season and he lines up with players like Okoposso and Backes

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Fair value for Landy would be 8.5M

I'm in the camp that things he takes a pretty significant discount though. He's the captain of this team and the guy who has been through everything. He was captain for two 31st(Well one was 30/30) place teams.... Now he's finally the captain of a team with cup winning aspirations.

These guys know its a business and you need to get paid while you can. But they also know the significant of taking ~1M less than your worth and what that can do for team success. Mikko took ~1M less than he could have gotten. EJ took a discount when he signed his deal(Though it certainly doesn't look like it now lol), and Mack has said he'll take less when his next deal comes around again as well(Though this is certainly a "let's wait and see about that" situation).

My money would be on a 7x7.5M deal from Gabe. That still leaves him with close to $100M in lifetime earnings setting up his family, and many generations after that with very wealthy and healthy lives.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And I would argue that everyone of them are ending up being overpaid. I guess we'll need to pay Donskoi and Bura 7M as well then? I'll grant you that Landy brings more to the table than all those guys but it's not because a bunch of them were overpaid by their GM that we should do it as well. 7.5M for Landy IMO is fair.

As a UFA they are getting the market. If Landy went elsewhere as a UFA, there would be teams lining up to pay him that and more. You can easily say overpaid, but when all of these players are getting these sums of money, it is just market value. This isn't the NHL of 2012 anymore, salaries are going way up since McDavid reset the structure. A first line UFA is at least a 9m per player and easily gets into the 10-11 range, a 2nd line player now ranges 6-8m, 3rd is ranging 2.5-6m... even good 4th liners are getting over 2m.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
My expectation is that Landeskog is going to be overpaid the second his extension kicks in. It would be wise to walk away but that is wishful thinking. A huge contract for a 2nd/at some point 3rd line forward sucks ass.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Landeskog is better than all the guys listed. He will get paid, big time. I think he will be over 9mil.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
As a UFA they are getting the market. If Landy went elsewhere as a UFA, there would be teams lining up to pay him that and more. You can easily say overpaid, but when all of these players are getting these sums of money, it is just market value. This isn't the NHL of 2012 anymore, salaries are going way up since McDavid reset the structure. A first line UFA is at least a 9m per player and easily gets into the 10-11 range, a 2nd line player now ranges 6-8m, 3rd is ranging 2.5-6m... even good 4th liners are getting over 2m.
Agree it's not 2012 anymore and salaries are going up but the league is also moving towards paying their younger stars more. Plder guys will get hurt a bit by that. It's in Landy's advantage to sign this summer before that move happens more and before he starts breaking down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Agree it's not 2012 anymore and salaries are going up but the league is also moving towards paying their younger stars more. Plder guys will get hurt a bit by that. It's in Landy's advantage to sign this summer before that move happens more and before he starts breaking down.

I'm probably one of the bigger age curve people there is, but nobody is going to call Landeskog old at 28 when he's being signed. All those players I mentioned were in that range and not as good as Landy. Landy will be very valuable on the open market. He certainly will regress and he will certainly be overpaid, but he's going to get paid regardless.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm probably one of the bigger age curve people there is, but nobody is going to call Landeskog old at 28 when he's being signed. All those players I mentioned were in that range and not as good as Landy. Landy will be very valuable on the open market. He certainly will regress and he will certainly be overpaid, but he's going to get paid regardless.
Never called Landy old. I only said that the league is going towards paying their younger stars instead of their older players like in the past. Of course Landy would get paid if he gets to UFA. It only takes one GM to overpay any player but make no mistake Landy will end up being paid less on the Avs than he would on any other team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Never called Landy old. I only said that the league is going towards paying their younger stars instead of their older players like in the past. Of course Landy would get paid if he gets to UFA. It only takes one GM to overpay any player but make no mistake Landy will end up being paid less on the Avs than he would on any other team.

I agree, but that will be Landy taking a discount. He's probably going to shave off a half million and be right at 8-8.25m. We are still seeing these first UFAs cash in big time. Even ones that have questions are getting big paydays. That will only increase over the next two summers.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Graves with a goal and an assist in 19 minutes.

We better hurry up to replace him.

Lastwind

Jan 20, 2020
Ottawa, ON
Long time creeper of these forums. First post.

Graves can no longer be considered less than a top 4 D after tonight’s game.

Prove me wrong. (But be gentle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad