Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 5.1 | Pre-Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Graves is fine don't let people tell you otherwise. He isn't a top pairing guy like he is being asked right now. But he is a 4-6 who can chip in offensively and play PK.

I sometimes get the feeling that people around here think every dman has to be at Makar level to win championships. Which simply isn't the case. You need guys like Graves on low end contracts that can produce. If he starts demanding 3+M a year you move on to the next guy. But for now he is perfectly fine, the hope is that sone of the other young start to come in and push him down to a role that is better suited for him.

...that is word for word what people have been telling him...

Yeah, they’re not going to like that.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would not mind trading one of the left D for Kasperi Kapanen. He deserves better than the leafs third line and is so quick.

Reactions: Grigo

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Graves is fine don't let people tell you otherwise. He isn't a top pairing guy like he is being asked right now. But he is a 4-6 who can chip in offensively and play PK.

Thank You. I dont get the hate for Graves on this board. He is doing fine for us this season. We won that trade by a mile! I hope we keep "Clark Kent" over a dead body like Barberio.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I sometimes get the feeling that people around here think every dman has to be at Makar level to win championships. Which simply isn't the case. You need guys like Graves on low end contracts that can produce. If he starts demanding 3+M a year you move on to the next guy. But for now he is perfectly fine, the hope is that sone of the other young start to come in and push him down to a role that is better suited for him.

How is that different than what everyone here has has been calling him?

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
That's the problem, we actually watch the games & don't just judge him on his surface stats ;-)

...that & nobody has said he's a poor player. Only that the longer he is asked to play above his head, the more he's getting exposed. So ideally, he'd be back on the third pairing, where he belongs.

But the thing is that he isn't getting exposed.

His play hasn't changed from day 1. If anything, he is getting better.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

Well I think he is more that a 4-6 guy and he will only get better. His play this year has been fantastic and he fits well with Makar.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I would not mind trading one of the left D for Kasperi Kapanen. He deserves better than the leafs third line and is so quick.

Kreider, Kapanen...give us all the players with physical tools but tunnel vision and low IQ. We won't adjust well but we'll have by far the fastest north south team in the NHL. :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Zadorov + Jost for Kreider + 3rd

1st + Compher for Pageau and DeMelo

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kreider - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Pageau - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert
Kamenev

1DGRAVES - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Cole - DeMelo
Barberio

Goalie
Goalie

Cup.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I believe it was Lebrun (definitely one of the reputable guys anyway) who suggested Kreider will be asking 7M per year on his next contract. I’m actually completely fine with that. I was expecting him to ask for 8-9.

His body may deteriorate eventually but that’s good value based on the expected cap growth in 2021. Plus if his ask is 7 perhaps he could even come in under that.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The problem with Kreider's next contract will be term. You give him more than 5 years and that contract could end up being an anchor. I just don't see Sakic giving more term than that unless he takes less than 7M.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I believe it was Lebrun (definitely one of the reputable guys anyway) who suggested Kreider will be asking 7M per year on his next contract. I’m actually completely fine with that. I was expecting him to ask for 8-9.

His body may deteriorate eventually but that’s good value based on the expected cap growth in 2021. Plus if his ask is 7 perhaps he could even come in under that.

I don't fear the cap hit, I fear term. If he's willing to take 5 years then fine, his contract would get off the hook at the same time as Rants'...but you know some other team will offer 7 (or at the very least 6).

But then again, I wanted JVR and Hayes and now I'm super happy that we didn't get them. Kreider fits just in the "danger zone" of UFA's (middle 6 player near the end of his 20's). It seems that those signings always fail.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Zadorov + Jost for Kreider + 3rd

1st + Compher for Pageau and DeMelo

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kreider - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Pageau - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert
Kamenev

1DGRAVES - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Cole - DeMelo
Barberio

Goalie
Goalie

Cup.
Which of the Goalie twins do you think will be the starter, Khadaen or Jaxsen?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d be fine with 7 million over 5 years for Kreider. If he wants a 6th year I’d want it to be like 6.35.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd still rather have Pageau though. He'd likely be (slightly) cheaper to acquire and definitely cheaper to re-sign. I think he'll age better as well and would be super useful on the PK.

Both players are proven playoff warriors.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice to see more people warming up to Kreider. I'm all for that but I actually wouldn't extend him regardless of what the term might be. Avs already have one power forward LW they need to extend whose contract likely won't age well. Sometimes teams feel the need to extend their rental because of what they gave up but I think you can make it worse on yourself when you do that unless it's just a no-brainer. I'm fine with losing what will hopefully be a very late 1st round pick for a few months of Kreider.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's moot because he's gonna be here long term no matter what, but id rather Kreider extended at 7M per year than Landeskog at 9 or whatever it is he gets.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Kreider will go to a team pressed to the cap. They will pay handsomely for a 50% retained expiring top 6 player.

The retention and expiring contract don’t help the avs they likely deter them.

Kreider won’t be an avalanche

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's moot because he's gonna be here long term no matter what, but id rather Kreider extended at 7M per year than Landeskog at 9 or whatever it is he gets.
No way Landy gets anywhere near that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad