Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 5.1 | Pre-Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Graves is playing well but I don’t want to be the team that pays him his next ckntract (which by the way he’s absolutely earning).

As @Pokecheque said, he’s the best option to pair with Makar right now but I’d personally still much rather get somebody else. A lot of nights he does a fine job beside him but there’s also plenty of nights where he doesn’t and he restricts Makar by taking off and leaving him at home when it should be the other way around.

Appreciate the living hell out of what he’s been doing this year but he shouldn’t be playing top pairing minutes while Makar absolutely should.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Graves is playing well but I don’t want to be the team that pays him his next ckntract (which by the way he’s absolutely earning).

As @Pokecheque said, he’s the best option to pair with Makar right now but I’d personally still much rather get somebody else. A lot of nights he does a fine job beside him but there’s also plenty of nights where he doesn’t and he restricts Makar by taking off and leaving him at home when it should be the other way around.

Appreciate the living hell out of what he’s been doing this year but he shouldn’t be playing top pairing minutes while Makar absolutely should.

Graves' spot is Byram's long-term. I figure the Avs will let Byram play up and down the lineup depending how he translates. He could take that spot as soon as next season, but surely in 3 years he will take it away. With that Graves is proving to be an acceptable stop gap. I don't think Graves is the defensemen to try to upgrade this year... I think that needs to be EJ. Push EJ to a more limited role and find a good partner for Girard. That would have more impact and hopefully you could find a medium term solution.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the Avs should be able to bridge Graves on a 2-3 year deal for 2.5-3M tbh.

He's still only on pace for about 30 points and he's 25 already. Cant see him getting more than 3M yet.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

So let me get this straight, a dude who has worked his ass off and is playing as a legit top pairing Dman deserves a raise and you want some other team to give him the $$.

Makes sense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the Avs should be able to bridge Graves on a 2-3 year deal for 2.5-3M tbh.

He's still only on pace for about 30 points and he's 25 already. Cant see him getting more than 3M yet.

And the Avs have the 'only 1 season of being a full time NHL player' arbitration argument which has traditionally held strong.. I actually see a ~2-2.5m per deal for 3 years in the cards for Graves. Cheap enough for the team to accept, and still sets him up for life with the possibility of another good UFA contract.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Or one poster here just makes **** up. That makes sense too.

What have I made up??

8 goals, 11 assists, +32 in 47 games.

On pace for 33 points in his 1st full season. And is one of the only physical players we have on the back end.

Yep, lets get rid of him. Brilliant.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What have I made up??

On pace for 33 points in his 1st full season. And is one of the only physical players we have on the back end.

What's made up is this all-or-nothing argument you keep presenting. Not everyone is as gung-ho about him as you are, yet anyone who isn't thinks he sucks and has to be booted from the team as soon as humanly possible. But that's fine, you use those straw men to keep yourself warm this winter.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What have I made up??

Find one post from a regular poster saying this.

One post.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well you're wrong.

You know more than an advanced metrics site. Nice to know.

I'm actually right... Graves is a great story, but there are a ton of better LD in the NHL.

More than a fantasy hockey site for sure.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well you're wrong.

You know more than an advanced metrics site. Nice to know.

What stats go into making him the 6th best dman in the league? Because it’s a fantasy site your following, so in you can show us what makes him the 6th best dman by way of advanced stats enlighten us please.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Graves' spot is Byram's long-term. I figure the Avs will let Byram play up and down the lineup depending how he translates. He could take that spot as soon as next season, but surely in 3 years he will take it away. With that Graves is proving to be an acceptable stop gap. I don't think Graves is the defensemen to try to upgrade this year... I think that needs to be EJ. Push EJ to a more limited role and find a good partner for Girard. That would have more impact and hopefully you could find a medium term solution.

Agreed. I wish there was a right-side defender who could slot in alongside Sammy but I just dont' know who that'd be, and I imagine if that guy was out there he'd cost a lot.

Long term you'd love that to be Timmins, but that's not something you can really count on right now.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Karlsson contract is about the least of the Sharks' worries. Maybe only second to Timo Meier's contract. Burns, Jones, Pickles, some solid depth players having UFA status this year or next, a crap goalie they are locked into for a while... lots of issues. But they really don't have a choice but to push their core a bit harder for the next 2-3 seasons before they blow it up. If they don't win a Cup soon, they will have to tear it all down to rebuild anyway and it will take just about as long.

Makes me really wonder what in hell was going on in the organization that prompted them to declare themselves a "Tomorrow Team" and downsize for an entire year (their prize acquisition that offseason was...John Scott) and miss the playoffs before going full bore again.

I mean, hey, they got Timo Meier for that little mini-tank, but I still wonder what the hell the plan was there. I think Plattner was sick of losing money and told Wilson to retool on the fly, then didn't like the results and opened up the coffers again. Regardless they wasted an entire season of that core while they were all still relatively in their prime.

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
can we just trade our first + barbs for jgp already? i wouldnt mind coleman but according the devils fans we would have to give up our next 3 firsts and a 7th to get him

in all semi seriousness do you think that theres some hesitation on doing a trade because of prospects?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm ok with Graves filling in with Makar until Byram is ready to take that job hopefully by Christmas next season. I would much rather find somebody to play with Girard by the TDL hopefully sooner.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Find one post from a regular poster saying this.

One post.

I've heard plenty about how we should trade him while his value is high for another Dman.

Or how some other team should give him a raise.

I've never heard such craziness in my life. We finally get a legit top 4 young Dman on a sweetheart contract and guys want to demote him or upgrade on him.

Now if we want to talk about getting rid of EJ or Cole to make room for Byram or Timmins. Or Z because we may lose him in the expansion draft then fine. But to suggest moving on from Graves or demoting him is ludacris.

He will hopefully be a staple on our top 4 for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad