Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 5.1 | Pre-Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think finding a winger with some passing ability would goose the 2nd line with Kadri and Bura... and who's... like 7'3".

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think finding a winger with some passing ability would goose the 2nd line with Kadri and Bura... and who's... like 7'3".

upload_2020-1-19_14-21-22.gif

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Graves is a passable partner for Makar until something better comes along. I would love to keep Graves, if Zads isn't in our future he's one of the only players that can lay a huge hit.

His situation is similar to Dotchin on the Lightning a few years ago. Fit the team's playstyle and had decent chemistry with their top pairing (Hedman).

He got lazy (not saying Graves will), was let go and is back in the AHL.

Reactions: cgf

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
That’s a 2009-2017 Avs move. Take a guy who’s doing well in his role then force him to do more and watch him fall apart. I love Graves for what he is. He shouldn’t be on our top pair if we’re going for a cup.

He has been doing it since day 1 this year and has gotten better every game.

I'm not sure why all you guys are expecting him to fail.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
No doubt. It's his play on the ice is what makes it true.

Is it his 7 goals and 10 assists that make him a poor player?

Is it his +32 or his 18 minutes a night?

I seriously question what games you guys watch.

It's almost like all you guys need someone to rag on and pick Graves for some stupid reason.

Reactions: milehigh11

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He has been doing it since day 1 this year and has gotten better every game.

I'm not sure why all you guys are expecting him to fail.

Because we were Avs fans from 09-17. About every single defender that rolled through here in that span was a great 4/5/6 that we tried to play as a 2/3. The results were awful.

Graves is a guy that should be near a top choice to fill in when your top pairing guy takes an injury. He shouldn’t be there in a healthy lineup.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Graves is, for now, the best option to pair alongside Makar. But he's far from an ideal option. If you could put him on the third pair with a fairly reliable guy who would allow him to jump into the play more and play a more aggressive style like how he played when he first arrived in the NHL, I think he'd thrive. Who knows...maybe that's Timmins. We'll see I guess.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Graves is, for now, the best option to pair alongside Makar. But he's far from an ideal option. If you could put him on the third pair with a fairly reliable guy who would allow him to jump into the play more and play a more aggressive style like how he played when he first arrived in the NHL, I think he'd thrive. Who knows...maybe that's Timmins. We'll see I guess.

People keep mentioning Graves as 3rd pairing but aren't looking at the big picture.

Here's our left side:
Girard
Graves [3rd pairing???]
Zadorov [3rd pairing]
Cole (signed for one more year) [3rd pairing]
Byram [will start on the 3rd pairing]

That's a huge logjam of 3rd pairing LHD. Graves will possibly stay in the top 4 until Byram takes his place and it could be only once he's ready 2 years from now. Cole and Z should be gone by then.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

It's almost like all you guys need someone to rag on and pick Graves for some stupid reason.

Geez, I thought I was the resident hothead around here. :laugh:

We can say we like the guy and also acknowledge that he's being overplayed. I like Matt Calvert too and for a time he was fantastic on the top line with Donskoi and MacKinnon but I think even you would agree that he isn't a natural scoring line winger. Maybe settle down a bit (that's kinda funny coming from me of all people) and take a moment to read what we're posting before you come out swinging.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That's the problem, we actually watch the games & don't just judge him on his surface stats ;-)

...that & nobody has said he's a poor player. Only that the longer he is asked to play above his head, the more he's getting exposed. So ideally, he'd be back on the third pairing, where he belongs.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
People keep mentioning Graves as 3rd pairing but aren't looking at the big picture.

Here's our left side:
Girard
Graves [3rd pairing???]
Zadorov [3rd pairing]

That's a huge logjam of 3rd pairing LHD. Graves will possibly stay in the top 4 until Byram takes his place and it could be only once he's ready 2 years from now. Cole and Z should be gone by then.

I think we see the big picture just fine. RHD are a hot commodity in the NHL for a reason--there's just not that many of them.

Someone is likely going to have to switch over to the right side. Zadorov, Girard, and Cole have all played on that side and I haven't really noticed any severe dropoff in play. I don't think it's too big a deal.

More concerning to me is that one of the few RHD on the roster and in the organization (EJ) is really showing signs of wear and tear.

Kinda reminds me of the early days of Roy and Sakic, when they traded for Brad Stuart with the intention of using him as a top-pairing LD, only to realize he much preferred to play the right side. Epic, epic fail from scouting there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Here's our left side:
Girard
Graves [3rd pairing???]
Zadorov [3rd pairing]

Can’t see Sakic paying Cole and Zadorov a combined 7.65M to have one play third pairing and the other be a scratch.

If Sakic plans on using Girard, Graves and Byram as his three main LD next year I think it’s almost a certainty that one of Z/Cole will be gone. Perhaps even both but I have a feeling Cole plays out the final year of his contract as our #7D.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
A trade I can see happening is Z for Athanasiou. I think both organizations have decided to move on from their guy before next year and both teams have scouted each other a lot this year. Not saying I would do it it’s just something I could see.

Getting AA for Z and Pageau for Jost + a 1st would give an insane forward lineup.

Reactions: shadow1

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A trade I can see happening is Z for Athanasiou. I think both organizations have decided to move on from their guy before next year and both teams have scouted each other a lot this year. Not saying I would do it it’s just something I could see.

Getting AA for Z and Pageau for Jost + a 1st would give an insane forward lineup.
I don't think Andreas Athanasiou is a player Joe Sakic would target.

Sakic seems to have two specific player types in mind when it comes to forwards:

- High skill
- Swiss army knife

MacKinnon, Rantanen, Burakovsky fit into that first category. Literally every other forward that we have besides Jost fits into that second category.

Andreas Athanasiou fits into neither. He's just really, really fast.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think Andreas Athanasiou is a player Joe Sakic would target.
Maybe not, just a feeling I have. AA has that Kadri like ability to get under skin and would fit the Avs speed identity. I think we need Z this year but it feels like the organization likes Girard, Graves, and Byram as the future left side more.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not saying I want AA from Detroit, but fans on this message boards were melting down after the acquisitions of Valeri Nichushkin and Andrei Burakovsky.

The former has become a fan favorite, while the latter is on pace for 54 points. Bednar has had a way with getting a lot of out younger players.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If we didn’t already have Bura I’d be more inclined to acquire AA. The problem is we already don’t have enough consistent contributors, adding another guy that can get hot but is useless the rest of the time is just doubling down

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Z to Detroit? What’d he ever do to you?!

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I agree the Avs will probably move a defenseman but I don't think it's a guarantee.

If Jost and Makar have taught the Avs anything, it's to take time with prospects (for opposite reasons, obviously). It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Byram and Timmins both start in the AHL and only get their crack once Erik Johnson goes down with his first injury of the year.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don’t ever want to trade Z, even though we will eventually have to lose him

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
If we miss out on some bigger names at the deadline, how would people feel about a cheap Patrick Marleau? I wouldn't want him to be our sole acquisition but if we got him and a D man of some sort? Speedy, veteran presence, can play up and down the lineup. I think he'd be a good fit. But would definitely need more than him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Graves is fine don't let people tell you otherwise. He isn't a top pairing guy like he is being asked right now. But he is a 4-6 who can chip in offensively and play PK.

I sometimes get the feeling that people around here think every dman has to be at Makar level to win championships. Which simply isn't the case. You need guys like Graves on low end contracts that can produce. If he starts demanding 3+M a year you move on to the next guy. But for now he is perfectly fine, the hope is that sone of the other young start to come in and push him down to a role that is better suited for him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Graves is fine don't let people tell you otherwise. He isn't a top pairing guy like he is being asked right now. But he is a 4-6 who can chip in offensively and play PK.

I sometimes get the feeling that people around here think every dman has to be at Makar level to win championships. Which simply isn't the case. You need guys like Graves on low end contracts that can produce. If he starts demanding 3+M a year you move on to the next guy. But for now he is perfectly fine, the hope is that sone of the other young start to come in and push him down to a role that is better suited for him.

...that is word for word what people have been telling him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->