Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Sick of this mentality where any time a player some people like is not getting minutes it is inherently the coaches fault for not liking them. Heed has had chances over the past 3 years to show he is an NHL D-Man and has not done so. Maybe this argument had more substance in 2017-18 when he was actually playing well, but for a lot of last year and all of this year he has not looked great and is not what this team needs as a 3rd pairing RD. He can't PK and is soft on the puck while also making turnovers and not producing much of anything offensively (despite that being his calling card). I said it all offseason that I did not want him as the 3rd pairing D as he was a way lesser version of the style of RHD that we already had in EK/Burns. Not saying Prout is the answer, but finding a RH version of Dillon or even Ferraro to play on the 3rd pairing is vital if this team is going to make a run.
Just have Simek play on his offside. Our 6 best defenders are pretty obvious imo...

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Karlsson
Ferraro-Simek

Reactions: Frosty415

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Heed hasn't really been any worse than any of the other bottom pairing dmen. I find it odd that pdb always jumps him

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Heed hasn't really been any worse than any of the other bottom pairing dmen. I find it odd that pdb always jumps him
Although, we've all been saying the same about him this year though and Prout's been surprisingly decent. And realistically, we just want Simek back.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Karlsson+Couture+Kane+1st for McDavid+Draisatl
Drasaitl for Point
Dillon for 2nd

Marleau-McDavid-Point
Meier-Hertl-Gregor/Chek/Yur
Sorenson-Thornton-Labanc
Bergmann-Gambrell-Goodrow

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-Heed

Reactions: Frosty415

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Karlsson+Couture+Kane+1st for McDavid+Draisatl
Drasaitl for Point
Dillon for 2nd

Marleau-McDavid-Point
Meier-Hertl-Gregor/Chek/Yur
Sorenson-Thornton-Labanc
Bergmann-Gambrell-Goodrow

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-Heed
Either you Moved Erik to Edmonton or Melker to D. Also, absolutely no way McDavid gets moved, even for that package by himself.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Heed had some offensive abilities but I’ve never seen consistency from him and he just doesn’t look very good to me. As I see it he’s expendable. Ferraro and a healthy Simek both belong in the lineup more than Heed.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sick of this mentality where any time a player some people like is not getting minutes it is inherently the coaches fault for not liking them. Heed has had chances over the past 3 years to show he is an NHL D-Man and has not done so. Maybe this argument had more substance in 2017-18 when he was actually playing well, but for a lot of last year and all of this year he has not looked great and is not what this team needs as a 3rd pairing RD. He can't PK and is soft on the puck while also making turnovers and not producing much of anything offensively (despite that being his calling card). I said it all offseason that I did not want him as the 3rd pairing D as he was a way lesser version of the style of RHD that we already had in EK/Burns. Not saying Prout is the answer, but finding a RH version of Dillon or even Ferraro to play on the 3rd pairing is vital if this team is going to make a run.

Bingo.

But please, make the same old joke about Heed having the wrong name or washing the car improperly.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hes also notorious for standing next to an opposing player watching that guy shoot or score without even getting a stick check in. He frequently gets lost in the defensive zone. It's like he can't follow the play or something.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Heed had some offensive abilities but I’ve never seen consistency from him and he just doesn’t look very good to me. As I see it he’s expendable. Ferraro and a healthy Simek both belong in the lineup more than Heed.
A healthy simek is just rolling the dice at this point. It's 50/50 at best

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Either you Moved Erik to Edmonton or Melker to D. Also, absolutely no way McDavid gets moved, even for that package by himself.

It's not a serious post. Basically we trick Edmonton into taking Melker instead of Erik. That's why I had Drasaitl going for Point and dumping Dillon because we traded Melker instead of Erik so needed the cap space. I'm just sad we don't have McDavid or anybody near his caliber.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
What’s clear to me is we obviously need one more top 6 forward. We all figured this but I was hopeful one of the rookies could step up. Marleau stepping in and playing well helps a lot but one more top 6 forward would let the lines fall into place and I think the team would feel a lot stronger.

Reactions: jarr92

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
What’s clear to me is we obviously need one more top 6 forward. We all figured this but I was hopeful one of the rookies could step up. Marleau stepping in and playing well helps a lot but one more top 6 forward would let the lines fall into place and I think the team would feel a lot stronger.
Unfortunately, this team really needs two top 6 wingers to really be able to compete and go the distance. That would create more depth and a more balanced attack.
9-48-trade
28-39-trade
12-19-62
20-7-23

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I am in the same boat.

Except I don't want DW to make changes, I want a new GM to.
For the most part I’ve been good with DW. His biggest flaw, in my opinion, has been his overly patient loyalty to coaches and goalies. I trust him in most other aspects, except that NMC for Bobby Vlasic.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Unfortunately, this team really needs two top 6 wingers to really be able to compete and go the distance. That would create more depth and a more balanced attack.
9-48-trade
28-39-trade
12-19-62
20-7-23

I agree we are in desperate need of forwards but with what cap space? Who are we going to trade to create room that won't open up a hole by losing them? There's zero interest in Melker and Dell, and trading Dillon might create another problem. Everyone else either has a NTC, or we just can't afford to trade them. We're stuck with this team, and the only option is a mid-season coaching change which we've seen DW doesn't have backbone to do.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Everybody is shitting on Labanc and rightfully so but Goodrow definitely cost the Sharks the W. He took a stupid lazy penalty in the offensive zone which gave Buffalo their first goal and momentum they didn’t have. He also took another stupid penalty in the 3rd. Like Melker, his only contribution to the lineup is on the pk. He needs to remember that

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I agree we are in desperate need of forwards but with what cap space? Who are we going to trade to create room that won't open up a hole by losing them? There's zero interest in Melker and Dell, and trading Dillon might create another problem. Everyone else either has a NTC, or we just can't afford to trade them. We're stuck with this team, and the only option is a mid-season coaching change which we've seen DW doesn't have backbone to do.
For sure. I was just stating the obvious. I think DW will be able to bring in one top 6 winger prior to the deadline by sending a package back of a high pick, a prospect, and some salary (Melker, Dell). The team DW deals with can also retain some salary to make it work, too.

The coach is the biggest problem for me. DW only needs to look at recent history from the past decade to see 3 teams that replaced their coaches in season have beat the Sharks in the playoffs and have gone on to win the cup. I don’t care about Pistol’s contract extension, it’s only money and Hasso has plenty of it. Plus, if Pistol is that good of a coach, he’ll get another job soon after which will mitigate that overall cost.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd settle on a good middle 6 forward honestly. We're working with forward pairs and it works fine for the most part in the top 6. Labanc is a solid middle 6 guy that's good as 3rd liner. Thornton has his moments but it's looking like he's falling off. If we could get someone like Johansson or Perrault or Pageau on that 3rd line, I'd say we would have a resolved situation.
Kane-Hertl-filler
Filler-Couture-Meier
(Johansson-esque player)-Thornton-Labanc

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007

Everybody is ****ting on Labanc and rightfully so but Goodrow definitely cost the Sharks the W. He took a stupid lazy penalty in the offensive zone which gave Buffalo their first goal and momentum they didn’t have. He also took another stupid penalty in the 3rd. Like Melker, his only contribution to the lineup is on the pk. He needs to remember that

I was saying the same thing in the game thread last night. There’s no accountability for Pistol Pete’s favorites. And at this point, there’s no reason that Goodrow should continue to receive top 9 playing time after his performance last night.

jarr92

May 7, 2013

The problem is the Sharks, and a bunch of other teams, have basically no flexibility to add any salary. Both taking on salary and shedding salary will be quite difficult for DW and the Sharks this season.

Not really sure there are any good options of obtainable cheap top-6 players on teams with salary space to spare. Looking at Capfriendly, not seeing ANY player stand out that the Sharks could realistically acquire.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I'd settle on a good middle 6 forward honestly. We're working with forward pairs and it works fine for the most part in the top 6. Labanc is a solid middle 6 guy that's good as 3rd liner. Thornton has his moments but it's looking like he's falling off. If we could get someone like Johansson or Perrault or Pageau on that 3rd line, I'd say we would have a resolved situation.
Kane-Hertl-filler
Filler-Couture-Meier
(Johansson-esque player)-Thornton-Labanc

Pageau is the only one of those players who could potentially move the dial. I don't personally think another Marcus Sorensen level player is going to be enough, although I had hoped it would be to start the season.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve been avoiding doing this for a while because I knew it’d just depress me, but I finally went over to natural stat trick to check out the Sharks and here are the notable things:

1) How does Brent Burns have a 50% 5v5 score adjusted xGF% while Vlasic, his defense partner, has 40%??? Across the board Burns’ possession numbers are way higher than Vlasic’s. Like, to an unexplainable degree. It’s insane.

2) Evander Kane has been far and away our best forward.

3) Labanc is doing pretty solid at 5v5.

4) Hertl has a sub-5% on-ice shooting percentage at 5v5. The points will come.

5) Heed is genuinely awful.

6) Thornton looks bad, but I think Sorensen is sinking that line defensively. As a whole, that third line is giving up waaaay too many high quality scoring chances.

7) The best regulars at limiting high quality scoring chances are Burns, Hertl, Kane, and.... Ferraro.

8) The Marleau-Couture-Meier line is riding percentages (we all guessed that), but Couture is yet again having a trash possession year. Even Meier isn’t doing enough to mitigate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad