Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Not only that he doesn't have any attribute to make up for his lack of speed. Thornton could at least protect the puck. Pavelski is undersized, slow, and doesn't do anything well other than tip pucks

Stars are going to regret signing him.

Pavs, while slow, may be one of the smarter NHL players. If he gets close to another player he can pick their pocket, he also anticipates the play well. These attributes will keep him in the NHL.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Pavs, while slow, may be one of the smarter NHL players. If he gets close to another player he can pick their pocket, he also anticipates the play well. These attributes will keep him in the NHL.

This is something I think of when talking about Pavs. I would trust him with 1-on-1 defense. However, he's not fast enough for team defense or against odd man rushes anymore, and his speed is declining every year. Having a variety of skills in order to fill different roles or adapt to different game situations is important and I think Pavs has lot so much that's there no going back.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

jarr92

May 7, 2013
With Gamby elevating his play the last few, Bergmann - Gambrell - Karlsson isn't that bad of a 4th line.

Our forwards will start to look pretty deep again if and when we add a top 6, especially with Goodrow finding another gear.

Kane - Hertl - Top 6
Meier - Couture - Marleau
Sorenson - Jumbo - Labanc
Bergmann - Gamby - Goodrow/Karlsson

Aren't the Sharks right next to the cap? Someone in that group may have to be traded to acquire a top 6 player before the deadline.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Aren't the Sharks right next to the cap? Someone in that group may have to be traded to acquire a top 6 player before the deadline.
Yep. We have some with the extras sent down but one of Dillon or Melker would probably need to go.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Yep. We have some with the extras sent down but one of Dillon or Melker would probably need to go.
Yeah, Melker makes the most sense to me. He’s a replacement level 4th liner that is making $2m on an expiring contract. The Sharks have plenty of guys in the system that should be able to step into that role.

Dillon is needed with the uncertainty of the left side of the defense. Vlasic is a rollercoaster. Mario is a rookie. Simek will be coming back from a major injury. Dillon can still provide more to the team than Melker can at this point.

If/when DW makes a move for a top 6 winger, I’m expecting something along the lines of a Melker, a prospect, and a 2nd/3rd package. Obviously the quality of the prospect and pick will vary depending on the quality of the player and if there’s salary retention. There will probably be a condition added as well based on the Sharks winning the cup or resigning the player, if he’s on an expiring contract.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, Melker makes the most sense to me. He’s a replacement level 4th liner that is making $2m on an expiring contract. The Sharks have plenty of guys in the system that should be able to step into that role.

Dillon is needed with the uncertainty of the left side of the defense. Vlasic is a rollercoaster. Mario is a rookie. Simek will be coming back from a major injury. Dillon can still provide more to the team than Melker can at this point.

If/when DW makes a move for a top 6 winger, I’m expecting something along the lines of a Melker, a prospect, and a 2nd/3rd package. Obviously the quality of the prospect and pick will vary depending on the quality of the player and if there’s salary retention. There will probably be a condition added as well based on the Sharks winning the cup or resigning the player, if he’s on an expiring contract.

Depends on the timing of said move. If Simek works himself back into the lineup before the New Year, they could probably hold off on adding that winger until then or the deadline. It's also not necessarily a one or the other type of thing. Both could be moved in such a deal if they need the money for it to make sense.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don’t think you can move Dillion right now. With Braun gone he is really our only physical presence in front of the net. Burns fills in, but his offense is too valuable to make that his primary purpose. Vlasic, Karlsson, Heed and Ferraro all lack the size and strength really required. They play a more positional style. Without Dillion, you would be vulnerable.

Honestly, with the addition of Eric Karlsson, Vlasic’s contract and role no longer make sense for our team. He doesn’t really fit with either of the big two, and his price tag warrants more than the minutes he would see separate from them. Finding a trade is in everyone’s interest. A team like Montreal that plays a structured defensive style would fit him a lot better. Let him focus on defense rather than this Pete DeBoer, rover style you can tell frustrates the hell out of him.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t think you can move Dillion right now. With Braun gone he is really our only physical presence in front of the net. Burns fills in, but his offense is too valuable to make that his primary purpose. Vlasic, Karlsson, Heed and Ferraro all lack the size and strength really required. They play a more positional style. Without Dillion, you would be vulnerable.

Honestly, with the addition of Eric Karlsson, Vlasic’s contract and role no longer make sense for our team. He doesn’t really fit with either of the big two, and his price tag warrants more than the minutes he would see separate from them. Finding a trade is in everyone’s interest. A team like Montreal that plays a structured defensive style would fit him a lot better. Let him focus on defense rather than this Pete DeBoer, rover style you can tell frustrates the hell out of him.

Physical presence in front of the net doesn't mean much to this team when it counts since they bench Dillon when the game is on the line. Vlasic moving leaves a huge hole on the PK that is already leaning on Burns/Karlsson too much and now Dillon is a decent chunk of the PK which is not a good thing. I think Vlasic can fit with either of the two just not seamlessly.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Nothing with the team, just didn't like the Bay Area.
Seems odd he would stay here if he didn't like the place when he probably could have gotten more money in the free agency market years ago.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Seems odd he would stay here if he didn't like the place when he probably could have gotten more money in the free agency market years ago.

Very good point considering the income tax disadvantage we have here too, along with being able to get way less bang for your buck in terms of housing.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada

Gregor making his debut today.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Hope DW trades him as a favor. He’s an NHL quality D man and it’s pretty obvious PDB isn’t ever going to give him a chance.
Sick of this mentality where any time a player some people like is not getting minutes it is inherently the coaches fault for not liking them. Heed has had chances over the past 3 years to show he is an NHL D-Man and has not done so. Maybe this argument had more substance in 2017-18 when he was actually playing well, but for a lot of last year and all of this year he has not looked great and is not what this team needs as a 3rd pairing RD. He can't PK and is soft on the puck while also making turnovers and not producing much of anything offensively (despite that being his calling card). I said it all offseason that I did not want him as the 3rd pairing D as he was a way lesser version of the style of RHD that we already had in EK/Burns. Not saying Prout is the answer, but finding a RH version of Dillon or even Ferraro to play on the 3rd pairing is vital if this team is going to make a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad