2019-20 UEFA Champions League Draw

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You can't blame people for getting fed up with the same person posting brainless barf all over the place.
That doesn't mean the answer to post more brainless barf. Like yeah, I agree that Arsenal shouldn't be in CL. They know the rules and they were a point/final shy of qualifying. It is what it is. But that doesn't mean you can't discuss how Arsenal likely would be able to make it out of some of the groups as a way of discussing the efficiency and ideas behind having smaller league teams in the CL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That doesn't mean the answer to post more brainless barf. Like yeah, I agree that Arsenal shouldn't be in CL. They know the rules and they were a point/final shy of qualifying. It is what it is. But that doesn't mean you can't discuss how Arsenal likely would be able to make it out of some of the groups as a way of discussing the efficiency and ideas behind having smaller league teams in the CL
I'm more curious why you think I am trolling when I say that the top 6 in the EPL deserve to be in the CL. I didn't even mention the big six deserves to be there like Arsenal or Chelsea. Hell, if we fell to 9th place then I absolutely do not think Arsenal should be in the CL. But lets also be factually honest and say that majority of the teams in pot 4 are worthless teams.

I know that's tough to say, but as @Duchene2MacKinnon mentioned above that Barca should get out of their group and if they don't then it would be a historic upset. That's the exact point I am trying to make, if you take the entire first-tier Serbia league, Suisse league, and Croatian league as few of many examples and incorporated them in the English Premier League none of those teams, especially the top ones would finish over any team except for perhaps Man United (who're killing themselves at the moment anyway).

Just because they get a random title in buckfeck Egypt doesn't mean they deserve to belong with the Elite. I'm not even saying Arsenal would ever get far in the CL, but they would give the top clubs a much tougher competition than the likes of freakin' Genk or Lille. LOSC just sold their BEST player to a Europa team, they have absolutely no reason to be there except to gain money for their business model..not to win.

And you know I am not even saying to guarantee a spot in the group stage for the top six, but at least have 5th and 6th battle it out against some of these #4 pot teams to see who really deserves to go through.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you believe that it was meant to be insightful you can find meaning in Cantona's speech. He's a bit off the wall, but pretty much all of what he said makes sense.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
If you believe that it was meant to be insightful you can find meaning in Cantona's speech. He's a bit off the wall, but pretty much all of what he said makes sense.

"Soon science will not only be able to slow down ageing of cells, it will fix cells and so we will become eternal. Only accidents, crimes, wars will kill us but unfortunately crimes and wars will multiply. I love football. Thank you."

Ok..

EDJoKN-XkAY67RM.png:large
EDJonDvXkAEbcOl.jpg

Reactions: maclean

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm more curious why you think I am trolling when I say that the top 6 in the EPL deserve to be in the CL. I didn't even mention the big six deserves to be there like Arsenal or Chelsea. Hell, if we fell to 9th place then I absolutely do not think Arsenal should be in the CL. But lets also be factually honest and say that majority of the teams in pot 4 are worthless teams.

I know that's tough to say, but as @Duchene2MacKinnon mentioned above that Barca should get out of their group and if they don't then it would be a historic upset. That's the exact point I am trying to make, if you take the entire first-tier Serbia league, Suisse league, and Croatian league as few of many examples and incorporated them in the English Premier League none of those teams, especially the top ones would finish over any team except for perhaps Man United (who're killing themselves at the moment anyway).

Just because they get a random title in buckfeck Egypt doesn't mean they deserve to belong with the Elite. I'm not even saying Arsenal would ever get far in the CL, but they would give the top clubs a much tougher competition than the likes of freakin' Genk or Lille. LOSC just sold their BEST player to a Europa team, they have absolutely no reason to be there except to gain money for their business model..not to win.

And you know I am not even saying to guarantee a spot in the group stage for the top six, but at least have 5th and 6th battle it out against some of these #4 pot teams to see who really deserves to go through.
Part of the reason for having the European competitions is to give teams from different leagues the opportunity to compete against the best and most well off teams in the world (and vice versa). Teams like Arsenal have an avenue of making the Champions league, and there are more opportunities in England than most countries. It's only their own fault if they are incapable of doing so; no other teams should lose their opportunities because of Arsenal's ineptitude, that's such a ridiculously entitled and typical stance to take.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"Soon science will not only be able to slow down ageing of cells, it will fix cells and so we will become eternal. Only accidents, crimes, wars will kill us but unfortunately crimes and wars will multiply. I love football. Thank you."

Ok..

Right...and he's not wrong. Just kind of a weird forum to bring it up I guess, and his delivery was interesting (especially the 'I love football' part) but all of what he said makes sense.

Reactions: gary69

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

It's the CHAMPIONS League, not Top 6 PL teams and top 4 from other top leagues League

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's the CHAMPIONS League, not Top 6 PL teams and top 4 from other top leagues League
Again, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree. I am under the notion that finishing at 4th or 5th in the EPL, 2nd in the BuLi, 3rd/4th in La Liga, and 2nd in Serie A is more of an accomplishment than finishing 1st in Czechia league, Suisse league, Denmark league, Scotland league, Croatia league, Polish league, etc.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Again, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree. I am under the notion that finishing at 4th or 5th in the EPL, 2nd in the BuLi, 3rd/4th in La Liga, and 2nd in Serie A is more of an accomplishment than finishing 1st in Czechia league, Suisse league, Denmark league, Scotland league, Croatia league, Polish league, etc.
Yes, that's why those teams don't have to play the preliminary rounds. The system works just fine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yes, that's why those teams don't have to play the preliminary rounds. The system works just fine.
So why are we punishing better teams in greater and more talented leagues? Like Arsenal is going to play their sub team until the round of 16 or 8 because there is nobody worth playing the best players against.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

Genk winning the Belgian league absolutely is a way better accomplishment than Arsenal finishing 6th in the PL

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Win the league or Europa and your probably is solved.
I am not arguing against the current system because I know the rules. I am just saying that the current system of rules is wrong and needs to be justified.

Nobody is getting punished. England just isn't the center of the universe, that's all.
I am not saying England is either, all I am talking about is strength. If Serie A had their glory years of the early 2000's I would be mentioning that their top 6 deserve to go in the CL over the likes of England. What happened though is that EPL is the most watched league in the world and because of that they got an insane TV deal which has increased the player and talent of the league.

Genk winning the Belgian league absolutely is a way better accomplishment than Arsenal finishing 6th in the PL
Nope, because Arsenal would wreck Genk like United, Spurs, Liverpool, and City would all. Watford and Everton would give serious trouble to Genk and Wolves at their current form would easily beat them. We're talking about the top 9 teams in the EPL being all better than 1st place in Belgium. Doesn't mean Belgium is bad nation though, they're a bit like Ligue 1 and Netherlands where they produce a ton of top calibre talent. You have my respect.

If Arsenal are meant to be in the CL then so are United :sarcasm:
Oh absolutely, if they finish in the top 6 like I am proposing they would do a better job than someone like Lokomotiv. If they don't finish in the top 6, then they don't deserve to be there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The current system needs to be justified but definitely not in the way you think. There are tons of countries that are UEFA members and only a few of them get teams in the CL.

The big leagues should all get one less spot so that teams in other countries can grow. Teams in countries like Greece, the Netherlands, and Switzerland should have their champions go straight in the groups.

Nobody whose team wins a league wants to play a team that finished fifth or sixth place. I can tell you that right now.

Reactions: Aladyyn and YNWA14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This part where they would do better than teams like Lokomotiv is also backwards ass stupid person logic. There is a standard that every team has to meet to qualify. If they didn’t meet that standard they can piss off.

One person here is gleefully endorsing the killing of football because their team isn’t good enough and proposing ideas that would prevent countries from even developing good national teams. It needs to be said how ridiculous that is.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Nope, because Arsenal would wreck Genk like United, Spurs, Liverpool, and City would all. Watford and Everton would give serious trouble to Genk and Wolves at their current form would easily beat them. We're talking about the top 9 teams in the EPL being all better than 1st place in Belgium. Doesn't mean Belgium is bad nation though, they're a bit like Ligue 1 and Netherlands where they produce a ton of top calibre talent. You have my respect.

No you don't understand what I'm saying

It's not about who would win if Genk and Arsenal play eachother. Genk winning their league over Brugge, Anderlecht, Standard is like Arsenal winning the PL over City, Liverpool, and United. But since Genk actually accomplished that while Arsenal didn't.. well, than Genk did a better job

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Part of the reason for having the European competitions is to give teams from different leagues the opportunity to compete against the best and most well off teams in the world (and vice versa). Teams like Arsenal have an avenue of making the Champions league, and there are more opportunities in England than most countries. It's only their own fault if they are incapable of doing so; no other teams should lose their opportunities because of Arsenal's ineptitude, that's such a ridiculously entitled and typical stance to take.
I don't think it's entitled necessarily. There's something to the concept that a competition that seeks to find the best team in Europe shouldn't include sides that are clearly not the best sides. It's not entitled or cocky or whatever else to say that Arsenal would be more likely to win CL than some smaller sides currently in the CL.

Now, I agree that Arsenal did not deserve to qualify under the current rules. Ineptitude is probably the wrong word to use given that Arsenal was one win away from finishing 3rd, but I know people like being bombastic when discussing Arsenal even as they play the Arsenal fans always derail conversation card. It should come as no surprise that a club's supporters react to over the top negative descriptions. But instead of discussing the current rules, you can have a discussion about what the Champions League should do.

All that being said, I like that smaller teams make the CL. It's fun for those fans and financially beneficial for those leagues.

Reactions: AB13 and S E P H

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This part where they would do better than teams like Lokomotiv is also backwards ass stupid person logic. There is a standard that every team has to meet to qualify. If they didn’t meet that standard they can piss off.
No, this is stupid logic. If someone's debating the standard, then saying that they can piss off because they didn't meet the standard makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad