2019-20 UEFA Champions League Draw

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
All 32 teams are known and the group stage draw is tomorrow at 18:00 (CET) which of course will be dragged out longer than it should be with their "comedy" skits. The seedings as has been the case last few seasons is the Pot 1 teams are the reigning CL and EL champions along with the domestic champions of the top six leagues in the UEFA coefficient (ESP, ENG, ITA, GER, FRA, RUS). The remaining pots are filled based off UEFA club coefficient

Teams from the same country cannot be drawn in the same group, teams from Russia-Ukraine cannot be drawn together and "paired" clubs cannot be drawn in the same half of the draw (example: Real Madrid & Barcelona will be in opposite halves of the draw so they don't play on TV the same day; A-D is one half, the other is E-H). UEFA haven't listed the paired clubs but you pretty much can guess which ones they are

Atalanta is making their Champions League debut while Red Bull Salzburg make it for the first time since their rebrand (they played in the mid-90s under different name). Slavia Prague return after an 11 year absence

2618777_w1.jpg

2619203_w1.jpg

2619204_w1.jpg

2619207_w1.jpg

Reactions: Bon Esprit

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
From Pot 1 I would guess the best team to draw is Zenit or Chelsea
From Pot 2 the best draw would be Ajax, Shakhtar and Benfica
Pot 3 & 4 are very unbalanced, some landmines in each but some gifts if you get lucky. Inter definitely one to avoid in Pot 3 along to a lesser extent Lyon and Valencia while you have teams like Dinamo Zagreb and Brugge in the pot. Pot 4 has some potential scary teams like Leipzig, Atalanta and Lille

Last season the two 'Red Bull' teams met in the Europa League group stage and they can meet once again. Lots of 'excitement' for the lack of a better word in the ex-YU press about a potential Dinamo-Zvezda draw with apparently the Zvezda president already saying he wants to draw Dinamo to show them who's boss and it's a bit more heated after the whole Zvezda tank nonsense :laugh:

Reactions: maclean

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oh I forgot about Inter...they'd be fun too, but I also agree that they're a landmine from pot 3. I can see them upsetting whoever they get and moving on...that roster is quite talented and Conte is a great manager.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There’s some teams I’d like to play for football purposes...Inter, Ajax, Dortmund, RBL, RM, Atalanta are chiefly among them. Would rather not face Atletico as we played them what felt like 100 times a long time ago. Plus, save that for later.

Then, there’s others that are good for the team, everyone can figure those out.

Then, there’s bad for the team, like Shakhtar, Lokomotiv, Galata, or a group with all those teams mentioned in the first line.

Nightmare scenario for a supporter would be Napoli, Dinamo, Red Star, and some of the other teams in the lines above. I think it helps teams win when they are somewhat battle tested as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We can't draw Real Madrid or Spurs this year, which is nice. I'm tired of facing those teams. Liverpool would be too much with the whole Klopp storyline, so no thanks. I wouldn't mind PSG or Juventus. Zenit is obviously the worst team in that pot. It'll help us go through first to draw them, but I think we can go through first without drawing them.

We can't draw the best team in pot 4, and can't draw one of the best teams in pot 3. A draw that could put our Round of 16 qualification in jeopardy likely includes drawing Lyon or Inter from pot 3. Otherwise, I think we should be big favorites to advance.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'd like one of tottenham, Ajax or Dortmund for different reasons. I also would like Inter.

and obligatory hoping Madrid get City/LFC and strong team from pot 3/4

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Napoli will make for some good games.

Dortmund/Barcelona has good potential too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Woof, Barcelona/Dortmund/Inter is a beauty of a group.

Why are people complaining about rematches? You watch league every single year.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->