Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
If they’re not gonna resign Janmark they should trade him and trade for Kreider. That would be a solid upgrade. He’d be awesome to resign too if they could find the room.

Stars27

Aug 23, 2013
What do people think of a small shakeup deal with Buffalo:

Rodrigues, C.Miller and mid-round pick 2020
For
Janmark and Oleksiak

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What do people think of a small shakeup deal with Buffalo:

Rodrigues, C.Miller and mid-round pick 2020
For
Janmark and Oleksiak

Why would either team want to do this? Seems lateral at best.

Oleksiak is finally looking decent too, so I don't know why we'd suddenly want to move him.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
So we shake it up after a bad loss, eh? A bit premature.

I agree it seems lateral to a downgrade. Why make minor moves without a specific purpose? How does the trade improve anything specific on this team?

Nill got:

Dillon for Demers (Dillon wasn't happy here, but Demers was also a better puck mover)
He got Cogs for Shore, for "veteran leadership" and checking at the cost of some scoring potential (never realized in ANA anyway)

Hartman for Pitlick to clear cap.

Zuch for playoff scoring, got Lovejoy for playoff depth. Zuch was pretty pricey, and that second 1st rounder was probably never in consideration to resign him.

Oleksiak back after Pit taught him how to play closer to his potential (and for size, depth)

Fedun, Carrick (and even Reese Scarlett) for D depth (given his penchant for depth on D, not sure he would ever trade a decent one)

Methot for size for a second and last pick in draft (a Goalie who got one game in Vegas) Not a bad trade after a lot of folks thought he would give up the 3 OA for him, or even swaps 3 and LV at 6 to acquire him.

Say what you want about Nill's trades - he knows his values better than most here.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
So we shake it up after a bad loss, eh? A bit premature.

I agree it seems lateral to a downgrade. Why make minor moves without a specific purpose? How does the trade improve anything specific on this team?

Nill got:

Dillon for Demers (Dillon wasn't happy here, but Demers was also a better puck mover)
He got Cogs for Shore, for "veteran leadership" and checking at the cost of some scoring potential (never realized in ANA anyway)

Hartman for Pitlick to clear cap.

Zuch for playoff scoring, got Lovejoy for playoff depth. Zuch was pretty pricey, and that second 1st rounder was probably never in consideration to resign him.

Oleksiak back after Pit taught him how to play closer to his potential (and for size, depth)

Fedun, Carrick (and even Reese Scarlett) for D depth (given his penchant for depth on D, not sure he would ever trade a decent one)

Methot for size for a second and last pick in draft (a Goalie who got one game in Vegas) Not a bad trade after a lot of folks thought he would give up the 3 OA for him, or even swaps 3 and LV at 6 to acquire him.

Say what you want about Nill's trades - he knows his values better than most here.

This is not true at all. Wish people would stop saying it.
Pitlicks contract could have went to the Minors and had the exact same effect on the cap

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It doesn’t cost the Stars’ payroll this way though, correct?
No, it doesn't cost them money and it frees up a contract on the reserve list but regardless it wasn't a move to clear cap space. I don't know where people ever got that idea

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
No, it doesn't cost them money and it frees up a contract on the reserve list but regardless it wasn't a move to clear cap space. I don't know where people ever got that idea
Because it easily could have been the number one goal.
It could be that they were planning to bury the contract in the minors, but instead found a way to relieve cap, real dollars, and the contract slot.

Reactions: Kipper 17

serp

Jan 17, 2016

It did clear out a contract without costing money though and the Stars are pretty close to the contract limit.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
What about picking up a player from Anaheim via trade? They are selling I believe.
wasn't too good for us the first time, also not a lot of UFA options that are worth anything on that team.

MDZ isn't an upgrade to us, and other than Rekell or Silverberg both of whom have term left, and wouldn't be cheap, there's nothing upfront either, that makes sense for them to move / us.

Good defensemen but all have term left

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What about picking up a player from Anaheim via trade? They are selling I believe.

I don't see a fit with the Ducks . Its either too expensive , too old or too young and/or they won't trade it. Their rentals are all garbage outside of Ryan Miller who we don't need .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The team needs someone creative who can create . Not a pure scorer who needs players to set him up.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I disagree. I think they need someone that looks to score rather than pass. It seems like all the guys are trying to be creative and pass instead of shoot. I want a selfish player that wants to score.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Also saw on some other pages that the stars are talking to Columbus about Janmark. Not sure if true. Has anyone else heard that.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I disagree. I think they need someone that looks to score rather than pass. It seems like all the guys are trying to be creative and pass instead of shoot. I want a selfish player that wants to score.

They need someone who can create chances in the first place, whether that's setting other guys up or just being creative enough to create space for himself. Zuccarello was such a good fit here ugh

Reactions: Kipper 17

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Mike Hoffman
Daniel Sprong
Thoughts?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I don't see a fit with the Ducks . Its either too expensive , too old or too young and/or they won't trade it. Their rentals are all garbage outside of Ryan Miller who we don't need .

wasn't too good for us the first time, also not a lot of UFA options that are worth anything on that team.

MDZ isn't an upgrade to us, and other than Rekell or Silverberg both of whom have term left, and wouldn't be cheap, there's nothing upfront either, that makes sense for them to move / us.

Good defensemen but all have term left
MDZ is one they will move for sure for any late round picks

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
The team needs someone creative who can create . Not a pure scorer who needs players to set him up.

whynotboth.jpg

Yeah you're not wrong. A playmaking winger would be awesome. Or a playmaking center if some players could be moved around to compensate (Seguin or Hintz to wing, that kind of thing).

Like:

Benn - Seguin - xxx
Hintz - Pavs - Rads

or

Benn - xxx - Seguin
Hintz - Pavs - Rads

or
xxx - Seguin - Rads
Benn - Hintz - Pavs

or

xxx - Seguin - Pavs
Benn - Hintz - Rads

There is also make no move and try to roll with:

Guri - Seguin - Rads
Benn - Hintz - Pavs

Because ideally I want Guri in the top six but if a trade occurs, that's a tough task. And also I want Benn - Seguin - Rads split up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad