Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
OK, but you have to retain 50% and take back Cogliano in said deal
Cogliano+ for Getzlaf at 50% is actually probably not terribly unrealistic. You have to admit he’s obviously a Nill type player. Stick him with Perry and see what happens. That’s hella depth too.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
I would take Getzlaf. At least he can pass the puck to the right spot. Need a pass first type of a guy. But there is no way to fit his salary.
We need a pass to the right player guy. At 50% retained I am in on him, 1 year left on his contract and the real money is only 3mil (still would be a 4.1-ish cap hit)

Reactions: MilesNewton

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
coyotes phil kessel ready to be sold low on?

they seem to have an affinity for our players there
a real hocky deal boyz

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wonder if Thornton would be of any interest, or if he's too old and dried up for this team. He's absolutely too slow, but I could see a limited role.

His offensive style is certainly something this team could use.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I wonder if Thornton would be of any interest, or if he's too old and dried up for this team. He's absolutely too slow, but I could see a limited role.

His offensive style is certainly something this team could use.

He's too slow for the Stars style of play. It's already why Pavelski doesn't really fit here and why Spezza didn't work out so great the last few years. Stars play defensively but not slow. Pavelski is at least also a very good grinder which Spezza was not and Thornton also isn't

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
He's too slow for the Stars style of play. It's already why Pavelski doesn't really fit here and why Spezza didn't work out so great the last few years. Stars play defensively but not slow. Pavelski is at least also a very good grinder which Spezza was not and Thornton also isn't
I wish pavelski would do more scoring. But I do wonder if he is bringing a ton of leadership to that locker room. There is no quit in this team. Even when they are down. They did not have that last year. They went down going into the third and it was over. Now we have a shot. I wonder if pavelski brings that element to the game.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
nice article in the athletic breaking down trade possibilities. spoiler alert, without devouring the system, there ain't much out there.

my thought though is, the stars have ~4.5M in cap space they can use because of LTIR... could they be in a position to take someone's cap dump just to dump in the minors, and recoup some picks in the process?

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
my thought though is, the stars have ~4.5M in cap space they can use because of LTIR... could they be in a position to take someone's cap dump just to dump in the minors, and recoup some picks in the process?

I'm no capologist, but don't the Stars need all the available cap they can get for bonuses this season to minimize the carryover for next season?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm no capologist, but don't the Stars need all the available cap they can get for bonuses this season to minimize the carryover for next season?

IRC you can't use LTIR space to absorb overages from bonus money . At least thats what i was told.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Player has to be called up on LTIR in order for his bonuses to use LTIR space. That's why Gurianov couldn't come up late last season. They couldn't fit his salary and bonuses on the remaining LTIR. Sucks because it was pretty much impossible for him to earn a bonus last year.

This year, he's a virtual lock for a $212,500 bonus. Good thing he's not picking up assists because that's keeping him from the assists and points bonus.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Player has to be called up on LTIR in order for his bonuses to use LTIR space. That's why Gurianov couldn't come up late last season. They couldn't fit his salary and bonuses on the remaining LTIR. Sucks because it was pretty much impossible for him to earn a bonus last year.

This year, he's a virtual lock for a $212,500 bonus. Good thing he's not picking up assists because that's keeping him from the assists and points bonus.
can you help me understand this quote from the athletic?
Cap space also comes into play. At this moment the Stars have $815 in cap space. No, there isn’t a zero missing from that figure. Dallas does, however, have $4.75 million available if they wanted to dip into the long-term injured reserve money they saved after Martin Hanzal’s career effectively came to a close.
Dallas Stars trade deadline primer: What's the cost of...

seems like they could use that LTIR space to acquire someone (cap dump) in trade.. does that mean you'd have to keep them up and couldn't move them to the minors/waive them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad