Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Good thread, since we are dabbling in the discussion on other threads. Should be fairly busy until the TDL, even if I doubt they are looking right now to shake things up. A small losing streak closer to the day may change their minds.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Cap probably prevents us from doing much of anything, but always fun to speculate.

As we all seem to think, if Johns isn't ready for the NHL (which seems likely), I hope we explore adding a RH PMD. Vatanen seems like a nice choice although the cost and cap may not work.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Cap probably prevents us from doing much of anything, but always fun to speculate.

As we all seem to think, if Johns isn't ready for the NHL (which seems likely), I hope we explore adding a RH PMD. Vatanen seems like a nice choice although the cost and cap may not work.

It could be done. Hanzal to LTIR, trade Miro which opens up space for next season for a UFA too.

/s

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Capfriendly has us at 3.150M for deadline space, but that’s with Johns still on LTIR so we’ll see what happens with that. We are also missing our 2nd and 3rd this year, you also have to factor in only 4 draft picks made last year (with one in the top 100). If Johns can come back he’s our ‘deadline addition’

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It could be done. Hanzal to LTIR, trade Miro which opens up space for next season for a UFA too.

/s

Wow, what a stupid post. I've never read something so dumb and so lacking critical thought.

Hanzal already is on LTIR, you big dufus. :thumbd:

/s

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars have limited assets this year so getting someone useful highly depends on how the trade market in general looks. There could be quite a few teams looking to add this year and if thats the case i don't think the Stars will have a shot at getting someone helpful.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, Nill doesn't every overpay it seems, and tends to back out of over rich situations. Zuch was the exception, and done with the idea that if they made the PO, they could go pretty far. Same scenario, maybe with even slightly enhanced expectations, might result in a similar trade. And, TG can always step in and direct trades, as he did in the great sell off of 2012 with Niewy.

Interesting, but read a stat in another field (golf) where 2 golfers can average hitting approach shots to 20 feet from the pin, but the golfer who hits one 2 feet (and makes birdie) and 38 feet statistically fares better than the on who hits both shots exactly 20 feet and is likely to make 2 pars.

I think the same thing could be said for drafting. In 2017, the Stars were going to get the 8th and 38th pick. (Not counting their second first rounder, where they traded and got Otter) They did better with the 3OA (Miro) even if they had to move back or traded the second round pick, since basically, all the other picks are iffy to make the NHL, whether 23rd, 39th, 45th overall, etc. So, trading our mid picks, or even considering next year's 2nd and maybe even first can't be ruled out.

Hence, I think statistically, if you're going for it, you go for it, even knowing you pay somewhere down the road, like other Cup champs and near champs. Balancing now and the future by stockpiling picks seems to makes sense in general, and sounds nice, but may not be proven statistically. Not quite the same, a necessary player in hand this year beats a few in the bush a few years from now that may or may not pan out.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i wonder if johns can show enough in 5 ahl games to be worth anything in a trade. i don't think you could see enough to rely on him to be a significant contributor to a cup run, but could he entice a non contending team as a potential young, good player for the upcoming years?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
i wonder if johns can show enough in 5 ahl games to be worth anything in a trade. i don't think you could see enough to rely on him to be a significant contributor to a cup run, but could he entice a non contending team as a potential young, good player for the upcoming years?

Johns isn't that young anymore . He turns 28 in April. He has no value in a trade after not having played almost two years.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
One point I want to make is I really like the chemistry that our four lines have built and I don’t want to make any moves at forward unless someone had a major injury. Right defence is lacking on this team but there aren’t many great options out there; Vatanen and Montour/Ristolainen are all good players, but are any of them the ideal player we want next to Miro?

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Johns isn't that young anymore . He turns 28 in April. He has no value in a trade after not having played almost two years.
wow. that's crazy. i knew he wasn't a teenager but good grief. feels like yesterday he was in our prospect rankings after coming over in the sharp trade.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
wow. that's crazy. i knew he wasn't a teenager but good grief. feels like yesterday he was in our prospect rankings after coming over in the sharp trade.

That was almost 5 years ago now and he wasn't super young prospect back then either at 23. Johns was drafted in the 2nd round of 2010 . Thats the year Seguin was drafted , who also turns 28 later this month.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Trading Johns after all of this would be a massively shitty move. Nill wouldn't do that to a player.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I'm older than Roman Polak so i don't exactly feel sorry for you . :laugh:

I'm still younger than 3 guys on the Stars though so hurray ! :oops:
At 36 years, I’m older than all of them. That was a weird day, when I all-of-a-sudden realized that I’m older than most NHL players after years of “looking up” to them as older men.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I think a dman on an expiring contract is the obvious answer too, but if Johns comes back and contributes well then I don't even think that is warranted. Plus I think Nill is happy with his blueline.

How Johns plays also affects the off season blueline considerations too because I can't see Polak and Sekera coming back but I thought the same about Polak last summer.

Obviously a good offensive forward is something the Stars still need but that's a tough ask without giving up a good pick and/or decent prospect plus cap room.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
What would a player like Vatanen cost? Nil is unlikely to move his 1st since we don’t have a 2nd or 3rd (I believe that’s what someone said earlier). Without a 2nd or 3rd to package with a player, how does he scrounge up enough trade chips for some like Vatanen? Prospects seem like the only option. Then there’s the cap issues. Seems like anything another than 4th line/3rd pair depth will be very difficult to swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad