Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I wasn't suggesting we trade for Zuch, just someone like him.
We have too much invested into pavelski . He was suppose to be the zucc replacement . Only way something significant happens if we move a roster player . Nill is not the type to move a roster player if we are doing good though .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree it would take an extraordinary deal coming along for a very exciting player everyone on the team would think would be a good add. Not likely that will happen, but Nill does say he's always on the lookout.

And, as I posted elsewhere, this is different than last year, assuming we stay 2nd in the west as opposed to a borderline wild card team. If going all in on win now, Nill or Galardi might change their tune on the balanced approach. Might, not surely, tempered by watching Columbus last year.

Stars27

Aug 23, 2013
I agree with what most people are saying. I think our forward core is set and doesn't really make sense to make a move to bring in a 4th line RW. One of Dowling/Kiviranta/Perry is fine with me moving forward with our forward core looking like this moving forward:

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Gurianov-Hintz-Pavelski
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau
Janmark-Dickinson-Dowling/Kiviranta/Perry

Because we don't have much cap flexibility, I'd focus my attention on acquiring a top-4 D with Petry as the target. My offer would be as follows:

Petry (25% retention = 4,125,000) and Conditional 4th 2020 (Becomes 3rd 2020 if Dallas makes the Stanley Cup Finals)
for
Oleksiak, Tufte, 1st 2020, Conditional 3rd 2021 (Becomes 2nd 2021 if Dallas makes the Stanley Cup Finals)

Defense pairings look like:

Lindell-Klingberg (23 minutes each a night)
Heiskanen-Petry (23 minutes each a night)
Sekera-Polak (14 minutes each a night)
Fedun-Johns (Spares in case of injury)

Although I don't love losing more picks this year, it is the best time for the Stars to make a move to solidify their team and make a run. A top4 of Lindell-Klingberg-Heiskanen-Petry would be tops in the league with Bishop and Khudobin behind them.

Thoughts?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'd be suprised if the Habs trade Petry since he's not UFA . If they trade him this year it probably hinders them to be competetive next year . If they are not making the playoffs next year either the Habs fanbase will probably start rioting and heads will 100% roll if they won't already roll this year if/when they miss . I do not think Petry will be on the market outside of a massive overpay.

Could be wrong but i don't think Habs sell anything that isn't UFA .

Last edited:
Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Negative on our side, good player, another 32 plus age guy. Afraid we're good, but too tired to advance to finals. Is it that much of an upgrade over John's, if he looks healthy? I doubt Nill would give up Jamie O but he is tradable.

Negative for MTL, Tufte has no value. Petry not a UFA. With retention not much salary cap benefit.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nill is going to have to be really creative with the conditions on draft picks this year if we want to get an impact player.

There is no way he trades the 2020 1st straight up, that would leave him without a pick the first 3 rounds. Unless Gaglardi says win the Cup or you're gone.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill is going to have to be really creative with the conditions on draft picks this year if we want to get an impact player.

There is no way he trades the 2020 1st straight up, that would leave him without a pick the first 3 rounds. Unless Gaglardi says win the Cup or you're gone.

Several here speculate that is exactly what TG told him, or is at least thinking. I'm not that sure, but with typical fan over reaction, it seems expected. Of course, fan reaction was based on his draft record, which now looks better with 3 or 4 drafted impact forwards since his 2013 arrival (Dickensen, Guri, Hintz) and Shore and a few others traded for assets. Add in seemingly strong drafts in 2017-19 with even a few 2016 lower picks seeing some NHL time (Gardiner, Camanno)

As I have said, Nill based on his history won't make a big move. He believes anything can happen and it almost did last year. He made a lot of moves off season for depth. Some kids have stepped up. The trade market will be a bit too rich for his tastes, and he will balance long term and now. And, he will consider Johns his big add costing nothing.

TG on the other hand, I don't know. And, TBH, while there are no guarantees by going all in, see Columbus last year, going half in statistically hasn't probably worked out either. Wonder if anyone has done a chart showing which UFA rentals have actually led a team to the cup?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I could see Nill dealing the 1st this year for the right player. His seat has to be feeling hot at this point, the player available at our pick won’t help for 3-4 years. Hasn’t dealt a 1st since taking over and with an old roster our window won’t be open long

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I could see Nill dealing the 1st this year for the right player. His seat has to be feeling hot at this point, the player available at our pick won’t help for 3-4 years. Hasn’t dealt a 1st since taking over and with an old roster our window won’t be open long

Maybe our first next season but I see no chance we go without a pick in the first 3 rounds this year

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Completely going without any kind of early round this this year would be stupid. This year is supposed to be a great draft. I don't think think the first is going anywhere nor should it.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
That is a good point .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If kiviranta gets a good look in the top 6 the next few games and does well , I wonder if we should consider moving perry or janmark to clear some cap space . We could probably get a decent draft pick to use in another trade . I’d think I’d rather keep perry , he will be a good guy to have around in the playoffs .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kiviranta plays a different wing than Janmark so he's not replacing him. He would be replacing Perry who has a NTC where he can name 5 teams. I doubt he's tradeable all that easily. Caamano will be the Janmark replacement next year and he's been hurt for Texas a couple of weeks so he can't be called up to replace Janny if he's traded.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Several here speculate that is exactly what TG told him, or is at least thinking. I'm not that sure, but with typical fan over reaction, it seems expected. Of course, fan reaction was based on his draft record, which now looks better with 3 or 4 drafted impact forwards since his 2013 arrival (Dickensen, Guri, Hintz) and Shore and a few others traded for assets. Add in seemingly strong drafts in 2017-19 with even a few 2016 lower picks seeing some NHL time (Gardiner, Camanno)

As I have said, Nill based on his history won't make a big move. He believes anything can happen and it almost did last year. He made a lot of moves off season for depth. Some kids have stepped up. The trade market will be a bit too rich for his tastes, and he will balance long term and now. And, he will consider Johns his big add costing nothing.

TG on the other hand, I don't know. And, TBH, while there are no guarantees by going all in, see Columbus last year, going half in statistically hasn't probably worked out either. Wonder if anyone has done a chart showing which UFA rentals have actually led a team to the cup?
30 point forwards are not "impact" forwards, not that any of them have ever hit 30 points in an NHL season yet. Roope is quite literally the only impact forward he's drafted that has played in the NHL to this point, others have potential to get there.
Shore wasn't even drafted by Nill. His drafting has been garbage you can't retroactively go back and give him credit for a 30p forward he didn't draft, then say 2 others who are only on pace for 30p are impact players to further sugar coat it. He's passed on impact players that were consensus better than players he took (Larkin, Barzal, Conner, Debrincat though can't fault him for Tufte at least it wasn't a reach by most rankings) its too early to tell with the 2018 draft but Dellandrea doesn't really seem to have a future as anything more than a 3c at the NHL level either.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
This is probably our best year to go all in. We’ve been the best, or one of the best teams since Dallas went 1-7-1. We’ve got great goaltending, solid Defence ( could be even better if Johns returns to his former self) and we’ve actually got better depth this year.

but on that note, there’s not many scoring forwards available that would make a difference. Toffoli maybe, but is he really that much better then what we have. Pageau wouldn’t be bad, but will probably cost too much.

I don’t see much for rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad