Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I really can't see us doing anything. We have no 2nd/3rd, we have no prospects that will bring in an upgrade that we would be willing to trade, and we have a ton of depth in the AHL, and the team seems to have developed chemistry with each other.

Maybe a depth D like Lovejoy last year for one of our middle-of-the-pack prospects? I have no idea.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I wouldn't mind someone like: Armia, Pageau, Coleman, or Athanasiou to add a scoring threat to play with the Janmark line.

Gurianov-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau
Janmark-X - X

Plug in any of: Dickison, Perry, Kiviranta, Dowling, Gardner, Caamano

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Paul Byron is on my wish list - he has term though which IMO is unattractive when compared to Pageau or Namestnikov.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Trading Johns after all of this would be a massively ****ty move. Nill wouldn't do that to a player.

would it though? you've already shown you're willing to do right by the player and stick it out. maybe it's a case of, 'hey, we don't think you're going to be up to speed enough to get much playing time with our playoff contending team, but if you go to this bottom feeder you can get some games in this year and start rebuilding your career.'

serp

Jan 17, 2016

There's probably more teams like this who just have more assets than the Stars. This is why i don't think the Stars can get an impact player like Vatanen even if the actively tried. A team like Vegas will just outbit them easily this year thanks to the limited assets the Stars have available.

Getting a healthy Johns back might be the only thing we can get outside of something really minor.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas was never going to get a 3rd for Honka. That said, I could see a team taking a flyer on him rather than a mid-round pick for an expiring contract. Outside of that, can't see anything happening. Barring an injury, really only Perry's spot is tentative. I can't see Janmark or Dickinson coming out of the lineup.

I don't know that I buy Bones saying that it was simply a position issue with the reason Dowling didn't come in for Perry. He also reportedly said Dowling would be in soon, but they're playing 3 in 4 and he's still sitting. The greatest need is probably a depth versatile forward who can play center and either be the 12th or 13th forward.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Cap Friendly is saying that Dallas is only currently using $925K of LTIR space, and that would leave them $3,825,000 when Johns came off.

They actually could do just about anything if they wanted to. It would involve paying more potentially for a team to retain salary. Probably not worth it, but they more flexibility than you'd think.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Cap Friendly is saying that Dallas is only currently using $925K of LTIR space, and that would leave them $3,825,000 when Johns came off.

They actually could do just about anything if they wanted to. It would involve paying more potentially for a team to retain salary. Probably not worth it, but they more flexibility than you'd think.

Kiviranta will go back down once Perry is back . LTIR space at that point again will be around Hanzals caphit .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh yeah that's right. Forgot about the extra forward being up right now.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I don’t think the stars are gonna do anything at the deadline this year . Another cheap veteren isn’t gonna do much for this team . I could see maybe picking up a dman but probably not if Johns ends up being a full time player .

Reactions: Elysian

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They could still really use two, top 6 wingers (or 1 and a center) for that 2nd line.
Hintz being the only one on that line that should stay currently, and could shift to wing if there only option is to add a decent center instead of a winger.
He's currently running with 2, 32point pace wingers, which is pathetic for a 2nd line.
Obviously the likelihood of getting 2 with our horrible cap situation is non-existent but I don't know how anyone could look at the top 6
and see 1 50+ point pace winger who takes an ass load of dumb penalties, a horrible regressed winger on pace for 40 points, and 2 other wingers on pace for 32 points, and think they actually need to add a defenseman to already the leagues best defense, with 2 very solid goalies to rely on, and that nothing needs to change upfront.
Someone like Chris Kreider should be priority #1 for any deadline moves.
Yes a partner for Heiskanen would be great, but the bigger need, is still scoring help

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
They could still really use two, top 6 wingers (or 1 and a center) for that 2nd line.
Hintz being the only one on that line that should stay currently, and could shift to wing if there only option is to add a decent center instead of a winger.
He's currently running with 2, 32point pace wingers, which is pathetic for a 2nd line.
Obviously the likelihood of getting 2 with our horrible cap situation is non-existent but I don't know how anyone could look at the top 6
and see 1 50+ point pace winger who takes an ass load of dumb penalties, a horrible regressed winger on pace for 40 points, and 2 other wingers on pace for 32 points, and think they actually need to add a defenseman to already the leagues best defense, with 2 very solid goalies to rely on, and that nothing needs to change upfront.
Yes a partner for Heiskanen would be great, but the bigger need, is still scoring help
goodness.. you're a real glass is 90% empty kinda guy. to read this, you'd think the stars are on track for a top lottery pick.

i agree kreider would be a fantastic add, but changing a bunch about this team is unlikely to be effective in the points column that matters. chemistry and balance matter, it's not all about individual player's points. scrapping 2/3 of the second line of a team that's proving to win at a very high rate is counterproductive.

Reactions: Kipper 17

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
goodness.. you're a real glass is 90% empty kinda guy. to read this, you'd think the stars are on track for a top lottery pick.

i agree kreider would be a fantastic add, but changing a bunch about this team is unlikely to be effective in the points column that matters. chemistry and balance matter, it's not all about individual player's points. scrapping 2/3 of the second line of a team that's proving to win at a very high rate is counterproductive.

This has to be the rallying cry of every fan-base that team struggles to score.
The team scored 14 goals in 7 games against St. Louis last year, and only 4 in the final 3 games.
And right now we're looking at going into the post season with essential 3 third lines, but at least they'll have chemistry.
Yes winning is what actually matters, but how do you think the team that is struggling to create offense and score in the regular season, is going to fare in the playoffs?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Just jumping in to say that trading Johns at this point would be a massive kick in the balls to both the player and the fanbase.

Grab a cheap winger or something. Nothing crazy needs to be done.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
This has to be the rallying cry of every fan-base that team struggles to score.
The team scored 14 goals in 7 games against St. Louis last year, and only 4 in the final 3 games.
And right now we're looking at going into the post season with essential 3 third lines, but at least they'll have chemistry.
Yes winning is what actually matters, but how do you think the team that is struggling to create offense and score in the regular season, is going to fare in the playoffs?

many people in the industry seem to share the opinion that the stars are built specifically to succeed in the playoffs.. i've seen it postulated numerous times that they'll be dangerous in the playoffs if they can just make it, and i'm inclined to agree.

look, no matter what the nhl says, the playoffs are a different game. teams that have high open ice speed and skill look glorious in the regular season and put up monster scoring numbers, but with all of the hooking and holding and interference allowed in the playoffs, they're offense is greatly suppressed. (recent, low hanging fruit examples are toronto or tampa last year) a team like the stars however doesn't rely on that as their primary means of production, the overall effect of those things is minimal on a team constructed like dallas.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
many people in the industry seem to share the opinion that the stars are built specifically to succeed in the playoffs.. i've seen it postulated numerous times that they'll be dangerous in the playoffs if they can just make it, and i'm inclined to agree.

look, no matter what the nhl says, the playoffs are a different game. teams that have high open ice speed and skill look glorious in the regular season and put up monster scoring numbers, but with all of the hooking and holding and interference allowed in the playoffs, they're offense is greatly suppressed. (recent, low hanging fruit examples are toronto or tampa last year) a team like the stars however doesn't rely on that as their primary means of production, the overall effect of those things is minimal on a team constructed like dallas.
and yet the biggest contributing factor to losing last year was lack of scoring

serp

Jan 17, 2016
and yet the biggest contributing factor to losing last year was lack of scoring

It probably was lack of depth on certain positions that got made worse by injuries. Stars had 3 defenseman ( still pretty much do even though its slightly better ) they had to ride to death and the lower lines barely did anything. 3rd and 4th line produce more this year. Defensive depth is still a bit of a questionmark and probably can't be adressed right now.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas

everyone else is being realistic. They don’t have the assests to add Kreider. I would love him but I don’t see the rangers taking a pic in 2021 so it ain’t happening.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Kreider would be fun to add and yes, Dallas has the prospects to add him. But I don’t think they need him. Everyone focuses on the guy who puts the puck in the net. Dallas has those guys. They need more of a set up guy for the second line. All three are goal scorers. A playmaker winger is what they need. Someone who can make the fancy pass to get the scorer better opportunities.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Setup winger.....like Zucharello? He did work well and that is the type of guy to add.

John's looks like our free add on D. We dont need depth forwards, unless they dont want to play the kids due to lack of experience. But I dont think they need another 33 year old 4th line checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad