Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Dicky has played way too big of a role in the stars success to move him right now . Not a chance he’s getting traded .
I could see it. But that depends on who is coming back. If there is an upgrade to anyone on the roster I would make the move. Dickinson is good but he could be replaced. I do doubt he will be traded as I don’t really see how we have the pieces to make a trade that would really improve the team.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I could see it. But that depends on who is coming back. If there is an upgrade to anyone on the roster I would make the move. Dickinson is good but he could be replaced. I do doubt he will be traded as I don’t really see how we have the pieces to make a trade that would really improve the team.
I think they could trade him possibly in the offseason but definitely not at the deadline . You don’t mess with what’s working .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I read somewhere that Dallas doesn't want to part with Harley, Otter, JRob or Ty D, but Dellandrea is the easiest prospect to trade because they already have his type of player in both JD and Faksa, and both are relatively young. They also have a few more not quite as talented as Dellandria coming up for the checking roles, i.e., Gardiner, Camanno, etc. I think they would do that rather than trade Dickey or Faksa.

With the TDL prices the way they are shaping up, I suspect that if Nill decides he wants a scoring forward, it will take one of those prospects and a first (this or next year) to get them, especially if there is a year of term. And, he does seem to favor conditions so maybe it's next years second upgraded to next year's first if we resign the guy, or go to some level in the playoffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dellandrea is a better prospect than Faksa or Dickinson was . With Dellandrea this season has shown that there's a legit chance for a top 6 Center and the Stars do not have someone else to projects to be that right now.

I wouldn't trade him especially not with how expensive the trade market seems to be. Stars don't have that much draft and prospect capital to spend so they shouldn't trade good prospects for at best short term solutions.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not sure that he is a better prospect, but who knows. Faksa has turned out exactly as the scouting report indicated, and JD pretty much the same. Solid 3rd line centers with some potential to move up to the second line. Seems like that is about the same scouting report on Dellandrea - Hard working, good skater, some offensive instincts but not top end like Robertson. Maybe my memory is off.

I can understand your reluctance to trade him (or any prospect) and think Nill shares it. As I said in a post a few weeks ago, however, this year feels even more right than last year to really go "all in." There is some statistical evidence that balancing now and the future yields balanced, but non winning it all results. Taking chances usually results in a better performance now, with less results in the future. It's worth it if you win. It's not if you don't and there are no guarantees, so maybe the odds are against you and you just hope to be playing the best hockey playoff time. I can see regretting a rental in a few years. Heck, given we didn't win last year, we kind of regret Zuch, all while acknowledging he was just what the doctor ordered.

On the other hand, if he decides to make a trade, it's best to trade from a position of strength, and checking line centers with two way play is something they have a lot of in the system. IF he decides to trade, I think that is what we have to brace ourselves for, rather than delude ourselves into thinking we can get someone good for a low pick, Honka, whatever. Give quality to get and all that.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Not sure that he is a better prospect, but who knows. Faksa has turned out exactly as the scouting report indicated, and JD pretty much the same. Solid 3rd line centers with some potential to move up to the second line. Seems like that is about the same scouting report on Dellandrea - Hard working, good skater, some offensive instincts but not top end like Robertson. Maybe my memory is off.

I can understand your reluctance to trade him (or any prospect) and think Nill shares it. As I said in a post a few weeks ago, however, this year feels even more right than last year to really go "all in." There is some statistical evidence that balancing now and the future yields balanced, but non winning it all results. Taking chances usually results in a better performance now, with less results in the future. It's worth it if you win. It's not if you don't and there are no guarantees, so maybe the odds are against you and you just hope to be playing the best hockey playoff time. I can see regretting a rental in a few years. Heck, given we didn't win last year, we kind of regret Zuch, all while acknowledging he was just what the doctor ordered.

On the other hand, if he decides to make a trade, it's best to trade from a position of strength, and checking line centers with two way play is something they have a lot of in the system. IF he decides to trade, I think that is what we have to brace ourselves for, rather than delude ourselves into thinking we can get someone good for a low pick, Honka, whatever. Give quality to get and all that.

what you say about checking line players/centers depth makes a lot of sense.. and considering that whoever comes in will take a roster spot, one of faksa or dickensen going back out makes a lot of sense. there's likely replacements coming up, that frees up a spot, and it frees up salary.

that said.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (unless you're the patriots) you'd better make an add that the team believes in, and that will be a virtual guarantee to produce if you're going to shake things up.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, I wouldn't expect a trade of a D man, although it is an area of depth. I suspect that Sekera, then either Fedun or Polak would have the most value in that order.

But sure enough, we trade one and someone goes down with an injury and we have egg on our face for a 3rd round pick or something. A second might be worth it if we can get it. Or, a second for Polak and a fifth or something like that. Are we really ready for Ben Gleason to play D for us. Which guy got a few PO games last year? Maybe Hanley? Just don't recall. Of course, we didn't have Johns, Jamie O or Sekera then. Would have to be pretty unlucky to dig down to the AHL level.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yes, I wouldn't expect a trade of a D man, although it is an area of depth. I suspect that Sekera, then either Fedun or Polak would have the most value in that order.

But sure enough, we trade one and someone goes down with an injury and we have egg on our face for a 3rd round pick or something. A second might be worth it if we can get it. Or, a second for Polak and a fifth or something like that. Are we really ready for Ben Gleason to play D for us. Which guy got a few PO games last year? Maybe Hanley? Just don't recall. Of course, we didn't have Johns, Jamie O or Sekera then. Would have to be pretty unlucky to dig down to the AHL level.

I don't think any of the defenseman should be traded. It's still alot of games to play in slightly more than a month. You can easily need all of those 8 defenseman . Unless something crazy comes along like say Polak back to the Leafs for Nick Robertson or something i wouldn't make a deal. Just some kind of depth pick for a guy who you may need makes no sense.

AHL defense isn't this strong right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bfantz

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And T Stars are screwed again next year, because Harley probably will bypass them and come right to the NHL (at most after half a season or less) to replace Polak and Sekera on the third pair with Jamie O.

Most fans would be fine with Sekera taking the third pair in the playoffs barring injury. But remember, this is the team that thought if a big bruising Jamie O was in the lineup, they would have won the Blues series. Yes, they have Johns who is bruising and talented now, but if they play a "heavy" St. Louis, or other, team again, I wonder if Polak goes back in at least for some games, even though slow, etc. They are going to probably start against Avs or Blues unless they finish on top, whereas they will play who knows what team out of the Pacific, so its hard to predict. I would think Sekera would be in against the Avs for sure, and really should play most of the games anyway.

At any rate, taking the top spot would really be an advantage, as it looks like we would play any of 5 Pac teams, it is bunched so close. None is as heavy as the Blues or probably as talented as the Avs.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
And T Stars are screwed again next year, because Harley probably will bypass them and come right to the NHL (at most after half a season or less) to replace Polak and Sekera on the third pair with Jamie O.

Most fans would be fine with Sekera taking the third pair in the playoffs barring injury. But remember, this is the team that thought if a big bruising Jamie O was in the lineup, they would have won the Blues series. Yes, they have Johns who is bruising and talented now, but if they play a "heavy" St. Louis, or other, team again, I wonder if Polak goes back in at least for some games, even though slow, etc. They are going to probably start against Avs or Blues unless they finish on top, whereas they will play who knows what team out of the Pacific, so its hard to predict. I would think Sekera would be in against the Avs for sure, and really should play most of the games anyway.

At any rate, taking the top spot would really be an advantage, as it looks like we would play any of 5 Pac teams, it is bunched so close. None is as heavy as the Blues or probably as talented as the Avs.

The team absolutely needs to work their asses off to get 1st. Playing the weakest Pacific team (or the Predators again) is a much easier task than playing Colorado/St. Louis. Especially when you consider that you'll have to play the other in the division finals anyway.

Whoever wins the Central is probably going to have the relatively easiest track to Finals out of any team in the league. Still won't be easy, by any stretch of the imagination, but something like Nashville -> St. Louis -> Vegas sounds a whole lot better than Colorado -> St. Louis -> Vegas for this season.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Im comfortable with us standing pat now.

While no doubt id love a top 6 scoring winger, the only ones id want would be kreider or tatar and i think the prices would be too high.

There isnt really a rental available this year worth a high price, and we just dont have adequate early rd picks to pay a reasonable price.

If we do add something, as long as we dont overpay then hey id be all supportive...but, if we stand pat then i have full confidence in this team, its the best in the NHL since the start of Nov, thats a big enough sample size to me to say hey, the stars are a big contender.

But i agree, we should be chasing hard for that 1 seed. Potentially Only having to play 1 of colorado or st louis instead of both would be significantly easier.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jim Nill joining the pre-game show to talk about the Trade Deadline.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nill pumping the tires again on sticking with 8 D. Said he felt it was a must in the playoffs.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Nill pumping the tires again on sticking with 8 D. Said he felt it was a must in the playoffs.
Literally hate everything he says.
He's like a goddamn politician. Says stupid shit all the time and he seemingly actually believes it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To be completely honest, I was disappointed he totally ignored the question about what he would do differently in his 7 years. I know not to expect anything but calculated and diplomatic answers from Nill. Most managers and executives are, and there's nothing wrong with that at the end of the day.

That said, that seemed like a really good question and he just listed his accomplishments for the most part. Weird he couldn't say 1 thing he would change or an area for improvement. There's no way that question was a surprise either. He knew everything that was coming from a team employee. If you're not going to answer it, just veto it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Carolina is the 1st Wild Card team right now, but he did mention that Erik Haula could be available. I have seen his name more recently .... maybe a poor man's Granlund a little bit. I can't see him being in the top tier of players available if he was so maybe you could get him for a bit cheaper. I think he could be an improvement over Janmark if they did do something.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Satan mentioned a few weeks ago wanting Josh Anderson IIRC .... Friedman said the only concern right now with him is his health, and he wonders if they move on because of the tough negotiation that's coming.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Friedman thinks Dallas is looking for speed and scoring. He wonders if Dallas is the team that takes a shot at Andreas Athanasiou.

Says the difficulty with adding him is his big personality. You need a good leadership group. Friedman thinks though that Dallas could use a burner with finish.

Friedman also added that he sees Joe Thornton as a possibility here.

Reactions: gentleman scholar

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This isn't from Friedman, but I thought about it while he was talking Edmonton and Puljujarvi. Detroit was one of the teams that was reported to have interest in Honka. He would obviously be a very minor piece, but it may at least be a team that saw some value in him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Athanasiou is such an enigma of a player . He can either be great or a bucket of suck . Great talent but i don't think the Redwings really want to trade him for cheap and he's still RFA at the end of the year. I don't see it . Thornton is possible but thats Thorntons call .

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Friedman mentioned something we've talked about on here in terms of Coleman and NJ. He's not convinced that Palmieri will be traded. He believes that because Palmieri has established himself as a scorer, and he's someone that will likely be worth his next contract. On the other hand, he feels that NJ thought they were trading Coleman at his apex. They're not convinced the contract he'll sign in a year will be justified and sustainable by his production moving forward.

He didn't say they wouldn't trade Palmieri only that they see him as a piece that makes sense to keep.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Athanasiou is such an enigma of a player . He can either be great or a bucket of suck . Great talent but i don't think the Redwings really want to trade him for cheap and he's still RFA at the end of the year. I don't see it . Thornton is possible but thats Thorntons call .

I think it's pretty unlikely as well. Just out of curiosity, I found some recent articles about his current play, and Dobber Hockey had an encouraging article.

Ramblings: Johnsson update; Martinez to Vegas; Malgin to Toronto; Athanasiou; Terry - February 20

He's having a bad year, of that there is no doubt. But there are reasons for that. First is his shooting percentage. On the year, he's shooting 7.6 percent at 5-on-5. Over the prior three seasons, he shot 12.2 percent. Shooting his normal conversion rate, just at 5-on-5, would add four goals to his current total. That would put him on a 26-goal/82-game pace for the year.

He's also seen his shot rate decline, but that's been the case for many Red Wings; each of Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, and Tyler Bertuzzi are enduring three-year lows by individual shot attempts per 60 minutes. So, yes, Athanasiou is shooting less, but I think there's good reason to believe that's largely a function of his environment.

Reactions: gentleman scholar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad