Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh is a buyer, and Toronto is 2 points out of the Wild Card, although both the 7th and 8th placed teams currently have 2 games in hand on them so they're not in the strongest position.

I say this because of the list of scouts at the game between them today:

Dallas has a pro scout based in Ottawa and one based in the Tri-State area. I just thought it was interesting that both STL and DAL have 2 scouts each, and both have no more games against either team. This close to the deadline, it just seems like you'd be focusing on potential deadline additions, and unless the speculation by Friedman this morning and TSN this afternoon that Toronto could consider selling, neither one of those teams seem to be sellers.

Both Sportsnet and TSN reports were mostly about Barrie, but I assume if they legitimately are considering that, other pieces would become available as well.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Again is the dual nature of conversations we have to have about the Dallas Stars. We can talk about purely what we or someone else wants, but that's not realistic. Having an eye on what the organization has demonstrated is a must or we're just talking fantasy hockey. There's always going to be an element of both.

Fair, but when as the organization showed a propensity to scratch any of the other Forwards in favor of anyone?
Other than Injury (maybe discipline too ) nobody has been scratched at forward other than Dowling.
Acquiring Thornton, at a non roster play cost, means someone would have to be.
it would stand to reason that literally the 12th forward in ice time, who literally brings nothing would be the scratch.
There hasn't been a healthy roster this year to even have demonstrated anything up front.
Janmark, Dickinson, Faksa, Comeau are all much bigger components defensively/offensively than Cogliano
Seguin, Radulov, Pavelski, Hintz, Benn aren't going to be sat for anything but an injury

You're left with
Perry, and Gurianov as potential scratches for a mythical Thornton trade (that doesn't involve a roster player being traded)

Gurianov brings enough offensively to make up for his defensive lapses most nights, and you're bringing in Thornton to likely have him Center Gurianov.
Perry, while slower, is better than Cogliano at pretty much everything.
Considering both Gurianov and Perry already play a bigger role than Cogliano, (as they should) it seems rather obvious that he should be the scratch.
Unless you think they're acquiring Thornton, to have him be the healthy scratch for when an injury happens

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't disagree Cogliano is among the more reasonable options given his total lack of offense, and I will admit the fact that both Montgomery and Bowness have stuck religiously to the FCC line I had not considered much chance of them being broken up.

To add to your point though, I've never noticed the FCC not being together to kill the last minutes of a game. That said, I also know Bones likes to have 2 centers on the ice in the final minutes. I say that because maybe I've just never noticed it before, but I was a bit surprised to see Dickinson-Faksa-Comeau killing the final minute of the game last night. Anyone else recall seeing that before and I've just overlooked it in the past? I know I've seen Segs take several shifts with Faksa late in the game to win a faceoff.

If it's something that's been common and I've just been clueless to it, probably means nothing. If Bones did decide to go with Dickinson over Cogliano for the first time last night, maybe that is a trend for change. I forgot to ask in the game day thread last night when I noticed it though. I vaguely remember Severyn say something about it post game, but I wasn't paying attention.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't disagree Cogliano is among the more reasonable options given his total lack of offense, and I will admit the fact that both Montgomery and Bowness have stuck religiously to the FCC line I had not considered much chance of them being broken up.

To add to your point though, I've never noticed the FCC not being together to kill the last minutes of a game. That said, I also know Bones likes to have 2 centers on the ice in the final minutes. I say that because maybe I've just never noticed it before, but I was a bit surprised to see Dickinson-Faksa-Comeau killing the final minute of the game last night. Anyone else recall seeing that before and I've just overlooked it in the past? I know I've seen Segs take several shifts with Faksa late in the game to win a faceoff.

If it's something that's been common and I've just been clueless to it, probably means nothing. If Bones did decide to go with Dickinson over Cogliano for the first time last night, maybe that is a trend for change. I forgot to ask in the game day thread last night when I noticed it though. I vaguely remember Severyn say something about it post game, but I wasn't paying attention.

The coaching staff allways liked to throw out two guys who can take and win faceoffs especially for critical faceoffs . You don't want to have your #1 faceoff guy get thrown out the dot and have a winger take the faceoffs who isn't good at it. This was also the case last year.

Offensively its the same just you don't notice it because most of our better offensive forwards are good faceoff guys because they've also played a ton of center before. Gurianov and Rads are the two good offensive guys you never want to have take a faceoff but everybody else ? At least decent.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's what I thought, I'd just never noticed Dickinson with Faksa before. Plus, of the regular guys to take faceoffs, Dickinson is the worst.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That's what I thought, I'd just never noticed Dickinson with Faksa before. Plus, of the regular guys to take faceoffs, Dickinson is the worst.

IRC Dickinson said he's much more comfortable at center ( and i think he also plays better there ). Putting him in Cogs place for short spurts to defense is one thing but don't know if that would work well as a permanent solution. Faksa is pretty much a pure center too.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To be fair ... Janmark and Hintz have both said the exact same thing as well that they're more comfortable at center. They both made those statements while in Europe just before coming to North American, but I think most guys prefer center if they have played it in the past.

Also FWIW ... I wasn't saying Dickinson should play LW with Faksa. I was just saying that I noticed him with Faksa at the end of the game. I still think it's highly unlikely they're going to sit Cogliano. I was just acknowledging to M88K that I never considered it a viable option so I was just trying to consider it from his point of view. It made me remember noticing that grouping, and I just remember wondering if it was the much more likely scenario that Bones wanted 2 centers or maybe it was possibly something else.

For me, if Cogs actually was a scratch ... I'd much rather see Janmark slide into that spot. I think he's capable there. If I had to guess, no matter who Dallas adds, if they even add anyone, Dickinson stays at center. I would imagine Pavelski would move back to wing before he did.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean yes first there would have to be a trade for someone before we can actually speculate where that players , whoever it would be , would fit. If there even is a trade.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Right ... just saying I agree with you that Dallas is stronger with Dickinson at center than most of the other options. I would like to see Hintz get a chance to continue developing as a center, but I get him playing wing right now. I think Pavelski and Janmark are probably better at wing.

Dallas went to the WCF with Richards-Ribeiro-Modano down the middle, and I hope that's what they eventually get back to. At least at this juncture, that sort of rides on the development of Hintz and Dellandrea. Hintz needs to prove he's capable of playing center full-time/majority of the time, and still be able to score. Dellandrea would have to prove he can be more thank Faksa/Dickinson. I think both of those guys are great checkers, but the reality is their likely never going to be more than average scorers.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan

If this happens, Dallas should sign him for cheap and pair him with Oleksiak for a nasty third pairing. Then, trade excess D for picks. Trade deadline win.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Someone who is desperate for defense is gonna throw money at him. Not like we have any need for the guy . Is he better than Polak and Sekera ? At this point in his career i doubt that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Polak can play within a system unlike someone like Bogosian. He isn't good but he usually is where he is supposed to be.

To me this is often the case with players from teams that have been bad defensively for a long time. They have no idea of how to play within a defensive structure .

When Carrick came over last season it was like he had no idea where he was supposed to be and would randomly just leave his positions over and over again. It was maddening.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
So feel free to flame me but if we need to add scoring but we have limited assets, not many picks and little cap room. What about trading out what we seem to have an excess of which is D.

Could we get a rental winger/scorer for Oleksiak and a pick? I'm not hating on the dude, but if you beleive in the prospects in Cedar Park, and who can play now, he seems to be a likely 3/4 or 5/6 guy to send to the East for somebody. There are teams that need to shore up their defense

At 2.1mil with another year, he's been solid for us and 27 y.o., physical 6'7 D that can skate with good hands is nice with a low cap hit.
I don't think we are getting a superstar for him, but this team needs more offensive production imo.

In order for this to work you would have to be ok with Polak/Sekera, Fedun rotating in and Johns to Top 4, and a callup from Cedar Park in case of injury.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
From a Stars perspective, more often than not, Nill has carried 8D. The chances of him not carrying 8D the rest of the season is probably unlikely, but hey not impossible.

From a team perspective, there is a significant and noticeable gap between Oleksiak and the remaining 3D. That's why he's not sitting or rotating scratches. It doesn't make sense to make yourself weaker for a slight improvement at forward. A scoring winger and Sekera-Polak is not an improvement over Janmark with Oleksiak-Sekera/Johns.

If this was the summer of 2019, and we knew Stephen Johns was 100% healthy, that wouldn't have been a bad idea at all. I just think you're hurting your team more creating holes trying to plug another. If Sekera or Polak could get that type of player you're describing (I don't think they could, and I understand that's why you didn't use them) go for it.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
So feel free to flame me but if we need to add scoring but we have limited assets, not many picks and little cap room. What about trading out what we seem to have an excess of which is D.

Could we get a rental winger/scorer for Oleksiak and a pick? I'm not hating on the dude, but if you beleive in the prospects in Cedar Park, and who can play now, he seems to be a likely 3/4 or 5/6 guy to send to the East for somebody. There are teams that need to shore up their defense

At 2.1mil with another year, he's been solid for us and 27 y.o., physical 6'7 D that can skate with good hands is nice with a low cap hit.
I don't think we are getting a superstar for him, but this team needs more offensive production imo.

In order for this to work you would have to be ok with Polak/Sekera, Fedun rotating in and Johns to Top 4, and a callup from Cedar Park in case of injury.

It's not a bad idea in a perfect world but yeah the idea falls apart if there is any injury as the dmen in Cedar Park are...somewhat yikes. And Nill wants the 8 dmen he has now so he won't be trading one even if (like you said) the Stars need offense.

EDIT: @BigG44 illustrated it better than me

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
But we don't really have defensive prospects in Cedar Park who could play in the NHL right now .

100% agree, but it did make me think of a something. In the hopefully unlikely scenario .... that actually did occur in the playoffs last year ... who is #9, 10, etc. on the depth chart right now?

I mean Hanley is obvious, and in all likelihood it would be him first. I guess my question is, where does Dallas see Cecconi right now? He stepped into a top shutdown role with Heatherington without missing a beat despite coming off shoulder surgery. He's the type of defender Gaglardi and Bowness fawn over when talking about taking St. Louis to Game 7 last year (the Oleksiak and Johns mold).

It's highly unlikely something we'll encounter like I said, but I do wonder how they currently see the call up list on D down in Texas. Djuse has been playing well too before he got hurt.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
100% agree, but it did make me think of a something. In the hopefully unlikely scenario .... that actually did occur in the playoffs last year ... who is #9, 10, etc. on the depth chart right now?

I mean Hanley is obvious, and in all likelihood it would be him first. I guess my question is, where does Dallas see Cecconi right now? He stepped into a top shutdown role with Heatherington without missing a beat despite coming off shoulder surgery. He's the type of defender Gaglardi and Bowness fawn over when talking about taking St. Louis to Game 7 last year (the Oleksiak and Johns mold).

It's highly unlikely something we'll encounter like I said, but I do wonder how they currently see the call up list on D down in Texas. Djuse has been playing well too before he got hurt.

Depends on who would be hurt and what type of skillset needed to be replaced. Djuse wouldn't replace a defensive guy but a puckmover and vise versa with Cecconi.

Just like it was with the forwards. Kivi came in to replace a 3rd/4th liner and JRob to fill in for a top 6 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad