Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With the lack of assets , the way the Stars are playing and with how many team will be active because they are still in the race right now i can't see the team beeing able to do much at the deadline. Janmark might be expandable but he's been good since Bowness took over. He's not scoring goals but with his terrible shot he shouldn't score much. He's been pretty good at PK , forecheck and setting up guys though. I just don't think the Stars can really upgrade without digging into the better part of the prospect pool and i do not think thats a good idea.

Also i like mentioned earlier . There's still too many teams alive in the race and not enough clear cut sellers so prices will be high and with less picks thats a disadvantage i don't think Stars can overcome.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
He was pretty borderline but Pierre was obsessed with him in our series against the Wild. Janmark was a tweener getting a decent amount of ice time.

I love Pierre but I always found that funny.
Pierre always latches on to one trait of a player and uses that to predict how amazing they’ll be. He was probably impressed by Janmark’s speed and equated that to legit top 6 player.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
With the lack of assets , the way the Stars are playing and with how many team will be active because they are still in the race right now i can't see the team beeing able to do much at the deadline. Janmark might be expandable but he's been good since Bowness took over. He's not scoring goals but with his terrible shot he shouldn't score much. He's been pretty good at PK , forecheck and setting up guys though. I just don't think the Stars can really upgrade without digging into the better part of the prospect pool and i do not think thats a good idea.

Also i like mentioned earlier . There's still too many teams alive in the race and not enough clear cut sellers so prices will be high and with less picks thats a disadvantage i don't think Stars can overcome.

My thoughts also. I can also see Nill waiting till last minute and sending a GM a low value trade like he did with Hamhuis that one year

Reactions: MilesNewton

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
A playmaker makes sense because in theory: Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Gurianov, Hintz, and Pavelski could all play the goalscorer role. Really just need another quality forward who is good offensively.
With all the star power on the team they are struggling to find a playmaker?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

I agree I don't think moving Janmark solves any problems. Hopefully, after the last game Seguin will keep rolling and somehow they can figure out how to score on a consistant basis.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Most of the rumors mill has everyone going to Blues or Avs. Stars may feel need to keep up if any of those deals come true.

OTOH, those fans and teams got to be wondering who comes out of their teams who have played so well, too. Except something obvious, like Blues now need D depth.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars just don't have the assets and don't need upgrades that badly. Before Johns came back i'd have said. 2nd pairing RHD is a big hole but that is now filled without investing any assets.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I think we're looking at a cheap add to the forward group like Ennis or Athanasiou, if anything. The question is who comes out though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think we're looking at a cheap add to the forward group like Ennis or Athanasiou, if anything. The question is who comes out though.

The only player that makes sense is Janmark, and with the way he's playing, even that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Dickinson is too important overall and especially on the PK. Gurianov has entrenched himself on the 2nd PP unit. Perry is playing at a high level right now as well.

This hasn't been discussed as much because it's not exactly a need either, but if you had to argue what the weakest spot of the current 18 skaters is the Polak/Sekera rotation, and I'm not even honestly saying they're that weak. It's just, if you were going to say what position more than any other could you potentially improve upon, it would be easier to get a better 5th/6th defender to play with Oleksiak than it would be to find a guy that was better than Janmark. The cost would be less for sure. You'd have to trade on of Polak or Sekera

I think they'll do something. It'll be small, and it's anyone's guess. The guy I thought would be the most interesting, Granlund, probably isn't on the block now that Nashville finds themselves in a Wild Card spot.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Any thought of Dallas trading for Pageau? Could add a little bit more scoring but also is good defensively so Dallas would not sacrifice defense for offense. I would love Hoffman but they would for expose the defense side as he does not play defense.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I don’t see Stars making any moves unless Nill gets a steal although Cogliano and Janmark have been mentioned.

Cogliano on the FCC line with playoff experience as well as Janmark who’s played top/bottom 6, PP/PK as well as wing and center this season I don’t see being moved.

Also Fedun (now 8th d-man) may get a draft pick but with Polak/Sekera contracts ending after this season I’d hold on to Fedun for one more year at $750,000 or so.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think, as said before, Johns is our "deadline acquisition", and that's fine. He's certainly a big add for us.

We also have to feel great about the depth. We've got 12 quality, NHL forwards who are all at worst great 4th liners. Then you've got Robertson who you can now feel comfortable calling up if a scoring forward goes down, as well as Dowling/Kiviranta/Gardner/Caamano, hell even L'Esperance, to call up for more depth.

Given the success we've had since November, I think we should feel pretty good about the make-up of the team and how they're playing headed into the playoffs, regardless of whether we add or not.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Ya I’m leaning towards the stars don’t need to do much if anything at the deadline . It’s clearly a sellers market and if anyone better than janmark is available it would likely cost us dellandrea or Harley plus janmark or another contract .Although, I could see nill maybe grabbing a cheap depth forward last minute as our forwards are all pretty banged up and who knows what could happen down the stretch injury wise .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think you only have 3 (?) callups after the TDL so maybe some depth forward last minute for basically nothing makes sense. I already think Kiviranta is not going to be send down to the AHL anymore. He's a good spare forward , better than Dowling imho , and if he gets scratched its not too bad either.

14-15 forwards and 8 defenseman ( Feduns conditioning assingment ends at about the TDL and after that roster limitations end ) should be enough to get through the last month and a half without having to play anyone who is banged up.

Reactions: Bfantz

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You have 4 regular call ups after the TDL, but you have unlimited emergency call ups.

Adding to the depth in Texas wouldn't be a bad idea. That said, you'll have NCAA free agents signing soon, and Texas is always busy with that so you'll know they'll add depth that way.

I think they should do an AHL trade again. Either a legitimate swap between NHL teems like they recently did with Palve or just an AHL only trade to move another D for a forward. That's where they're hurting most.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In the 20/20, Shairo mentioned Tyler Ennis is they type of target Dallas could likely acquire. I'd be fine with that, although, I think I'd rather target someone like Jimmy Vesey or Vladislav Namestnikov,

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You know .... LeBrun has been pumping the tires of Derek Grant (ANA) as a low key/potential high quality add for a contender.

He might actually be an improvement over Janmark that would justify the trade. He has good size, plays center, and he's good on faceoffs . They're Bottom 3rd in the league, but he's Anaheim's leading forward on the PK.

Janmark might have him speed, but it never hurts to have another faceoff guy, and at least this season, Grant is a better finisher (14 goals).

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I don't disagree wholly with what I'm reading here.. but the playoff window for the stars doesn't seem particularly wide open. i'd love to see a trade for a Toffoli or someone who can add some scoring

* Isn't this kind of Nill's Last Chance anyhow?
** I love that Johns has come back kind of unexpectedly and has performed, it's great!

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't disagree wholly with what I'm reading here.. but the playoff window for the stars doesn't seem particularly wide open. i'd love to see a trade for a Toffoli or someone who can add some scoring

* Isn't this kind of Nill's Last Chance anyhow?
** I love that Johns has come back kind of unexpectedly and has performed, it's great!

Thats probably a 1st + one of the 4 really good prospects Harley , Oettinger , Dellandrea and Robertson and thats no bueno.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I've always liked Ennis. Grant's shooting percentage is way up and his offense would certainly come to die here- I wouldn't make that trade-off and I don't particularly care for Janmark.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't think Dallas' window is as close to closing as people think either, for what its worth.

The only significant loss we might suffer this offseason is Khudobin. There’s no reason we can’t be this good again next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad