2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Lost 1-3, only goal by Sprong assisted by Benoit. Another deadly shot by Sprong, the Tucson D had covered the other winger coming in but who cares whn you have a shot like that.

What is the secret of that Tucson team? None of their scorers had crazy amount of points. Just a good depth? Great coach? Woodoo?

Last edited:

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Lost 1-3, only goal by Sprong assisted by Benoit. Another deadly shot by Sprong, the Tucson D had covered the other winger coming in but who cares whn you have a shot like that.

What is the secret of that Tucson team? None of their scorers had crazy amount of points. Just a good depth? Great coach? Woodoo?
I believe they are very active on the forecheck and create chaos. I think slotting some of those guys that were sent down in can mess with the mojo or the flow of the game.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I believe they are very active on the forecheck and create chaos. I think slotting some of those guys that were sent down in can mess with the mojo or the flow of the game.
Also, Sprong in an interview said they had a lot of good chances but it just did not go in. SD outshot Tucson 40-23, so it might just be one of thos nights. Or finishing problem in our whole organization, ouch :laugh:
We should be pretty competitive in the AHL this year tho so I won`t make a too big deal out of this. Just interesting what is the success of those Roadrunners.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls lose 4-3 in OT to Grand Rapids. Goals by Jones, Sherwood, and Terry. Gulls took 2 penalties within 5 seconds in the final minute of regulation, and they killed all but the final 12 seconds before allowing the game winner.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Gulls lose 4-3 in OT to Grand Rapids. Goals by Jones, Sherwood, and Terry. Gulls took 2 penalties within 5 seconds in the final minute of regulation, and they killed all but the final 12 seconds before allowing the game winner.
Benoit had a rough game.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Terry, Jones, and De Leo all sitting tonight's game. Wouldn't be surprised if that trio were called up after this, as the Ducks' next game will be before the Gulls' next game.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry is too good for the ahl with 1 leg. Steel should be sent down to work on his creativity and to prevent him from becoming a dump and chase player. If he averages ppg then call him back up.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls hold on despite 7 Griffins' PP opportunities (and coming up empty on five of their own) to win 3-1 in Grand Rapids to finish up the pre-break schedule. Stolarz stopped 38 of 39 shots, while the Gulls only managed a total of 19 shots all game. Gates with the game-winner from Comtois (Zilch made sure to point out that it happened because Gates' stick was on the ice waiting for the pass). Carrick topped it off with an empty-netter that started out appearing to be a harmless clear, before it went on the empty net for the final margin.

The Gulls' final all-star break standings position will depend on games played later tonight -- if Bakersfield loses in regulation to Tucson (a game the Condors actually lead 2-0 at the first intermission), then the Gulls will be tied with them on points, and ahead on percentage. The fourth-place Reign play in San Jose starting in 15 minutes. If they lose in regulation, the Gulls would trail them by two points, with four games still in hand. Even if the Reign win, the Gulls would still have fourth place in points percentage (by a small fraction).

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Really disappointing that sprong was not back up. He looked very good on getzys wing
In his seven-game NHL stint he had one goal and one assist, both in his first game back up. Not enough (he was put in a position to succeed) to justify keeping him up , considering that he would soon become waiver eligible. If he shows that he's too good for the AHL, he will be recalled.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
In his seven-game NHL stint he had one goal and one assist, both in his first game back up. Not enough (he was put in a position to succeed) to justify keeping him up , considering that he would soon become waiver eligible. If he shows that he's too good for the AHL, he will be recalled.

7 games is a very small sample size to gauge point totals. To me he showed more in that 7 game stint than Terry has most of this year.

He showed that he's been rounding out his game with better vision and willingness to engage on the forecheck. I can remember about 2 or 3 solid passes to Getzlaf that coudlvd earned him a couple more apples.

He also seems to have improved his effort in the defensive zone. Not so much a liability anymore.

I'd rather have sprong in over Terry right now.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
7 games is a very small sample size to gauge point totals. To me he showed more in that 7 game stint than Terry has most of this year.

He showed that he's been rounding out his game with better vision and willingness to engage on the forecheck. I can remember about 2 or 3 solid passes to Getzlaf that coudlvd earned him a couple more apples.

He also seems to have improved his effort in the defensive zone. Not so much a liability anymore.

I'd rather have sprong in over Terry right now.
The important thing is that if you choose Sprong over Terry now, you cannot change your mind later as Sprong would have to clear waivers and neither is suitable for a 4th line role.

Seven games is not a huge sample, no. But it's all he could get before decision time. Fair or not (it isn't), you have to produce immediately. Terry is the guy the management is looking to go with, and Sprong didn't do enough to make them reconsider. Ideally, they would both stay in the AHL for now. The same goes for Steel and Lundeström.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why is it that these hardest shot guys can hit the net and we have a team full of muffins who miss the net by 3 feet most of the time?

It's time we start showing the youths of the greatest instructional video for targeting:
tenor.png

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The AHL All-Star Game is infinitely superior to the NHL version. They play a round robin format of 10 minute games with a 6 minute final for the top 2 teams. Much more fun.

Wideman was good, and Stolarz was out of this world good.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The AHL All-Star Game is infinitely superior to the NHL version. They play a round robin format of 10 minute games with a 6 minute final for the top 2 teams. Much more fun.

Wideman was good, and Stolarz was out of this world good.
Do the AHL guys also just skate around like a neighborhood pond hockey game or do they put some effort into it?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I like 3 v 3 for the All-Star game/tourney -- still not a fan of it for deciding standings points. For decades, I've been in support of a 10-minute 5v5 OT in the regular season -- 3 standings points for any win, 0 standings points for any loss, 1 point each for a tie at the end of OT (no skills competition shootout at all). I know, I know, I'm in the minority, but I've yet to see any legitimate argument to change my mind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad