2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
By the way: before Saturday night's drubbing of Ontario, the last time the Gulls had won a game at home in regulation was...
November 30th (a 6-2 defeat of Tucson).

Between then and last night, the Gulls were 3-4-3 at home, all three wins coming in OT or the SO. No wonder going to games had come with a feeling of dread for a while!

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Have a feeling depending on the outcome of the Nashville game there might be some changes. It would be nice to see some guys come up and send a few down. The Ducks as a whole seem to just be in complete disarray.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
It’s amazing what a difference getting four part-time NHL players back in the lineup does. Sherwood, Terry, Comtois, and Lundestrom - and surprise surprise, the Gulls looked like a team that could contend for the playoffs last night against division-leading Tucson. Their previously-struggling power play scored on both ends of a 5-on-3, which was the clear turning point of the game. Tucson’s single goal came on a deflection off a Gulls player’s ankle, and Boyle stood tall several other times. Last night marked the first game of the 2nd half of the season, and the first time ALL SEASON that their record has peeked above .500 - they’ve been at .500 a couple of times, but never above till now.

That makes tonight’s game in Bakersfield pretty important - points-wise, the Gulls sit in 6th, one point behind Bako and two points behind Ontario... but the Gulls have two games in hand on Bako and four games in hand over the Reign, so would be in playoff position if points percentage were used. Either way, a win tonight for the Gulls would put them ahead of Bako, and if that combined with a Tucson win over Ontario, then the Gulls would be in 4th on points as well.

Side note: I’m pleased with the progress and effort of Morand. He’s not necessarily getting on the score sheet a lot, but his willingness to get involved and expend the energy has really been nice to see, and I’m looking forward to see what he looks like as a second-year pro. He’s not necessarily destined for the NHL, but he could have a solid career as a top line AHLer or a bottom-six NHLer if this course continues.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It’s amazing what a difference getting four part-time NHL players back in the lineup does. Sherwood, Terry, Comtois, and Lundestrom - and surprise surprise, the Gulls looked like a team that could contend for the playoffs last night against division-leading Tucson. Their previously-struggling power play scored on both ends of a 5-on-3, which as the clear turning point of the game. Tucson’s single goal came on a deflection off a Gulls player’s ankle, and Boyle stood tall several other times. Last night marked the first game of the 2nd half of the season, and the first time ALL SEASON that their record has peeked above .500 - they’ve been at .500 a couple of times, but never above till now.

That makes tonight’s game in Bakersfield pretty important - points-wise, the Gulls sit in 6th, one point behind Bako and two points behind Ontario... but the Gulls have two games in hand on Bako and four games in hand over the Reign, so would be in playoff position if points percentage were used. Either way, a win tonight for the Gulls would put them ahead of Bako, and if that combined with a Tucson win over Ontario, then the Gulls would be in 4th on points as well.

Side note: I’m pleased with the progress and effort of Morand. He’s not necessarily getting on the score sheet a lot, but his willingness to get involved and expend the energy has really been nice to see, and I’m looking forward to see what he looks like as a second-year pro. He’s not necessarily destined for the NHL, but he could have a solid career as a top line AHLer or a bottom-six NHLer if this course continues.
I was actually going to ask about Morand. I've heard positive things about him. It sounds like he's transitioned to being more of a feisty, energy guy in pro hockey.

Also, hope you enjoy having Sprong, De Leo, and Jones back for the next 4 games.

Reactions: HansH

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls get their 5th consecutive victory with a 4-3 win in Bakersfield. Goals by Guhle, Sherwood, Carrick, and Terry. Terry also had a couple assists, bringing him to 2+7 in 5 AHL games. Comtois added an assist as well. Would be very nice if the Ducks could stay healthy for the remainder of the season so the Gulls can make a push to the playoffs.

EDIT: Carrick has 9 goals in his last 9 AHL games, and all 17 of his goals have come in the last 20.

Reactions: Opak

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How has benoit looked lately? Does he look like he could be a solid 4-5 defensive dman in a few years at the nhl level?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That Troy Terry kid is pretty good at hockey
He's like a skilled overager in juniors with those 9p in 5 games.

Sad that like this, but I reaaaaaly wanted him to get to SD to gain his confidence back. I thibk we might see a whole new Troy Terry after the all-star break in the NHL

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So he needs to either stay down or come back up before the break is over and stay up. I think?

There are no re-entry waivers anymore -- if he's sent to San Diego before the 30 day limit and stays with the Gulls, he wouldn't go on waivers in case of a call-up, regardless of his waiver status. This is the case until the end of the 19-20 season.

If he sticks around with the NHL team past the 30 day limit, or if he's recalled after the 30 days are up, waivers would be required in order to send him back to San Diego.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There are no re-entry waivers anymore -- if he's sent to San Diego before the 30 day limit and stays with the Gulls, he wouldn't go on waivers in case of a call-up, regardless of his waiver status. This is the case until the end of the 19-20 season.

If he sticks around with the NHL team past the 30 day limit, or if he's recalled after the 30 days are up, waivers would be required in order to send him back to San Diego.
Let me try and understand this...

He was just sent back down after being up 23 days. If he stays in SD past the 30 day mark we can still recall him waiver free and he would only require waivers to go back down? because it was beyond 30 days from the first recall?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
How has benoit looked lately? Does he look like he could be a solid 4-5 defensive dman in a few years at the nhl level?
He is looking better, so much of it depends on who they are paired with at the AHL level. He looks rough when paired sometimes with Hakanpaa but has been better the last game or two. I don't think he is ready yet, still might need another season and to mentally stay focused and make adjustments.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

He was just sent back down after being up 23 days. If he stays in SD past the 30 day mark we can still recall him waiver free and he would only require waivers to go back down? because it was beyond 30 days from the first recall?
Not sure if they keep him up but they could use him for trade bait, He has pretty much stated he is not opposed to a trade.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

This is correct. Waiver eligibility only applies when a player is being assigned to the AHL.

Back in the day there also used to be a re-entry waiver list for guys coming from the AHL. They got rid of that during the last CBA negotiations, most probably because people felt it was detrimental to player development...

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
This is correct. Waiver eligibility only applies when a player is being assigned to the AHL.

Back in the day there also used to be a re-entry waiver list for guys coming from the AHL. They got rid of that during the last CBA negotiations, most probably because people felt it was detrimental to player development...
Thank you.

Reactions: Opak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: