2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I like 3 v 3 for the All-Star game/tourney -- still not a fan of it for deciding standings points. For decades, I've been in support of a 10-minute 5v5 OT in the regular season -- 3 standings points for any win, 0 standings points for any loss, 1 point each for a tie at the end of OT (no skills competition shootout at all). I know, I know, I'm in the minority, but I've yet to see any legitimate argument to change my mind :)
Large disproportions from top to bottom teams. I think down the road more parity earns more dollars because they can keep the hype up during the regular season.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
@HansH, who would you say have been the Gulls' best defensemen?
Wideman is too young to really evaluate long-term, IMO, so I’m leaving him out of this discussion despite his All-Star status.

Mahura has potential as a puck-moving/shooting defenseman, assuming he continues to learn when it’s appropriate to pinch and when it’s time to retreat. Benoit is REALLY impressing me with some stay-at-home tendencies and physicality in his second season.

Guhle has offensive defenseman upside, but I still want to see more from him to deserve the trade for Montour.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Wideman is too young to really evaluate long-term, IMO, so I’m leaving him out of this discussion despite his All-Star status.

Mahura has potential as a puck-moving/shooting defenseman, assuming he continues to learn when it’s appropriate to pinch and when it’s time to retreat. Benoit is REALLY impressing me with some stay-at-home tendencies and physicality in his second season.

Guhle has offensive defenseman upside, but I still want to see more from him to deserve the trade for Montour.
I believe Guhle is currently trying to figure out his game. He is young and possibly being moved up at the beginning I think didn't help his development. Really there was no rush.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Guhle is the classic example of why you don’t pencil guys in for top 4 roles based on a single digit gamed sample size. You would think Murray would have learned from the likes of Sbisa but sure enough Guhle was penciled into the pairing alongside Fowler to start the season.
Maybe he was trying a little too hard to justify the trade.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls up 3-2 after 1 against San Jose. Poturalski is playing his 1st game in over 3 months. Sherwood scored on a penalty shot and shorthanded breakaway. Mueller has the other goal.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls game is on both Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket in honor of So Cal Hockey Day. Game starts right now at 4pm, and here is the lineup:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
sherwood does deserve to be up in the NHL but tbh right now i have no idea who he'd replace

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
That's not true and definitely has nothing to do with Sherwood. There's a major logjam at RW and it's good for him to be the man in the minors, he can come either next year or once Rowney and/or Grant are eventually dealt.
You don't believe that he decides who to send up and down? Its definitely not strictly the coaches decision. All I am saying is yes there is a log jam and if his agent sees no commitment on the Ducks end of things I would not be surprised if he gets moved at some point.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You don't believe that he decides who to send up and down? Its definitely not strictly the coaches decision. All I am saying is yes there is a log jam and if his agent sees no commitment on the Ducks end of things I would not be surprised if he gets moved at some point.

No the coach likely has the biggest say, and we've seen that this season where guys Eakins is familiar with have played more than guys he isnt, namely Terry over Sprong. I'm not saying the GM would have no input, especially when it comes to young players, but that's different from what you said.

And no Sherwood probably isn't down because theres a lack of commitment, its more likely the logjam and Sherwood having waivers eligibility.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Very disappointing loss to Ontario on Saturday, giving up the tying goal while Ontario had the empty net and less than a minute in the game, and failing to capitalize on any opportunities in OT. It was a little more stinging given the leads the Gulls squandered and the excitement of the traveling Reign fans, for sure.

This loss meant the Gulls no longer have the points percentage 4th place position - the Reign now hold that, as well as a five point lead over San Diego. The Gulls still have four games in hand, but the Reign are the team they are chasing for position, and a loss like this could well be the difference between in and out come April.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
After falling behind 2-0 and being outshot 15-5 in the first period, the Gulls scored three in the second (including 2 goals on three shots) despite again being outshot and not looking particularly effective except in small spurts. Tucson tied it again less than a minute into the third, but a greasy goal by Mueller on the PP gave the Gulls the lead they wouldn’t relinquish. Stolarz had to perform at a really high level to preserve the win, making 37 saves under increasing pressure. Lundestrom’s empty-netter provided the final margin.

The Gulls trail Ontario for 4th by 3 points, but have three games in hand. The Reign beat Bako tonight 10-3, so the Gulls need to watch out for a smarting Condors team on Sunday.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Guhle is the classic example of why you don’t pencil guys in for top 4 roles based on a single digit gamed sample size. You would think Murray would have learned from the likes of Sbisa but sure enough Guhle was penciled into the pairing alongside Fowler to start the season.
Well it looks like he is back with the Ducks? Team seems very high on him I would have left him in SD still making idiotic plays at times on the ice not sure if a call up is really necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->