In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If Provy holds out.

Sanheim - Niskanen
Ghost - Braun
Morin - Myers

I'm ready to roll with that group.

There is a sick part of me that wouldn’t mind it.

A vacant spot is really the only way Morin will see any time and I can’t help but to still have some intrigue about him.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
There is a sick part of me that wouldn’t mind it.

A vacant spot is really the only way Morin will see any time and I can’t help but to still have some intrigue about him.

True this is an important year for him. If he can manage to play well in the time he gets. He will replace Braun next year. If not i imagine he will be moved.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Sad thing is though, i have a weird feeling you will see Hagg ahead of Morin. Dont shoot the messenger.
Opened this because I saw your name and you let me down. Please make an obnoxious trade for us. This is not you!

P.S. Love you

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Yup, I'd rather have that for a while than rush into a Provorov contract. Let him sit an get antsy for a while.

And really, giving Sanheim and Ghost that much icetime could end up being a great thing.
Sanheim just reminds me of Duncan Keith. I don’t dare hope he ends up that way, but he is just silky smooth at everything he does.

Me being the masochist of a flyers fan that I am though...

Provorov holds out.

Sanheim rocks it and immediately shows how much more he is worth than his bridge and that he is a bonafide number one.

Flyers camp caves and give provorov long term 8x8 to be our second pair.

Sanheims next contract ends up being for 10 plus a year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sanheim just reminds me of Duncan Keith. I don’t dare hope he ends up that way, but he is just silky smooth at everything he does.

Me being the masochist of a flyers fan that I am though...

Provorov holds out.

Sanheim rocks it and immediately shows how much more he is worth than his bridge and that he is a bonafide number one.

Flyers camp caves and give provorov long term 8x8 to be our second pair.

Sanheims next contract ends up being for 10 plus a year.
If anything, I’d assume that Sanheim going nuts would help us with the Provorov contract. Show him that we don’t desperately need him and can wait him out with Sanheim as the 1D.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just go full pessimist and predict that a meteor hits the Skate Zone during the first day of camp. Then anything better than that is a bonus. :laugh:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
Provorov is a strange situation because there were reports he wanted a long term deal. I would imagine with how hard he works out over the summer to get ready for the season that he isn't to happy a deal isn't done yet. He also seems like a team guy, so I would guess he doesn't want to let his team down by not playing. I wonder if it is his agent that is driving the stall. Maybe Ivan will tell him he wants to play and do the deal already on the table.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov is a strange situation because there were reports he wanted a long term deal. I would imagine with how hard he works out over the summer to get ready for the season that he isn't to happy a deal isn't done yet. He also seems like a team guy, so I would guess he doesn't want to let his team down by not playing. I wonder if it is his agent that is driving the stall. Maybe Ivan will tell him he wants to play and do the deal already on the table.

I have no doubt it's his agent. He's one of the shrewdest in the business.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
If Provy holds out.

Sanheim - Niskanen
Ghost - Braun
Morin - Myers

I'm ready to roll with that group.

i actually prefer Sanheim on the top pair over Provy.

i think you might trigger a few people though putting Braun with Ghost. :laugh:

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
i actually prefer Sanheim on the top pair over Provy.

i think you might trigger a few people though putting Braun with Ghost. :laugh:

If Justin Braun plays like the defensive juggernaut that this board makes him out to be, that would be a perfect fit. Braun would never have to touch the puck, either - even better.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, Braun would be a good match for Ghost for the same reason he'd be a good match for Sanheim, he doesn't need the puck.

When you have a puck dominant defenseman, it can be an awkward pairing with another offensive defenseman who may feel he's losing money if his partner hogs the puck (and scoring opportunities).

Reactions: hatcher

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
If Justin Braun plays like the defensive juggernaut that this board makes him out to be, that would be a perfect fit. Braun would never have to touch the puck, either - even better.

i'm gonna send you one of these. "MVP" is written on the back.

616uuc6CQ9L._SX466_.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Everyone touches the puck. It's a gross oversimplification to pair a non-puck mover with a puck mover.

Ghost is our BEST transition defenseman. That's the distinction. He's also our best NZ defenseman. Braun is still respectable in that capacity. So, you might see more NZ break-ups, which Ghost needs. But Braun is also a dead zone offensively. If you get a cycle going, is that what you want?

I think that partnership helps Braun more than it helps Ghost. It might still be the ideal pairing. But it's doubtful to occur, so whatevs. And I'm unsure if Sanheim's weaker areas -- he's not especially good, let alone elite, at entry/exits for and against -- can overcome Braun's deficiencies. Not exactly a surprise that when a defender can't move the puck, finding a fit becomes hard.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Of course it helps Braun more than Ghost.

In that hypothetical Ghost is, yet again, being saddled with a player who will hold him back. The only time he’s been put with someone who wasn’t a dud was when he was with Provorov, and we saw how perfectly that worked out. Then people bitch about his play. :laugh:

Remember how dumb usage and poor linemates held back Couturier? Same thing with Ghost.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
If anything, I’d assume that Sanheim going nuts would help us with the Provorov contract. Show him that we don’t desperately need him and can wait him out with Sanheim as the 1D.

(in light of the fact that huge D $ almost always stems from huge D offense)

His agent HAS to realize he'll never be desperately or even moderately needed on this team to repeat his 17 g season as long as Ghost is here. PP2 is a no man's land here. Agents don't admit to much, but literally a 3rd grader would be able to see that as an intransmutable fact.

edit: maybe we should let him walk. If the comparison is "the next Lidstrom" as I'm now envisioning the turn these talks are taking, then the guy and the horse who's riding him can go screw.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
An offensive defenseman who has a partner who is experienced and covers his ass can play more aggressively, knowing his partner will be in position to slow down breakaways and give him time to get back.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t really like Braun with Ghost. I’d rather Ghost get as many o-zone starts as possible, & it reduces Braun’s value to give him those o-zone starts & not help with more difficult starts.

Ghost-Myers seems perfect.

Myers has enough skill to capitalize on o-zone starts; he has the incredible range to help cover Ghost’s mistakes; but he’s still not a guy you want to trust in the hardest deployments yet.

Provorov-Niskanen seems like a logical first pair. That leaves Sanheim & Braun. Sanheim has reached the stage of taking on much tougher usage, & he struggled with it at times in the 2nd half; Braun should be perfect for helping him with that & for compensating for Sanheim’s sometimes lack of assertiveness around the net & on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad