2019-20 Roster Thread XV: The thread with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With all the whining about Pitlick, we are ignoring that Fletcher faces a serious logjam of forward prospects in the near future.

By next training camp,
Frost and Farabee will be ready,
Rubtsov and Kase if healthy should be ready,
Ratcliffe will have a year under his belt,
Vorobyev 3 years, Laberge, Bunnaman, Twarynski with 2 years,
Allison/Laczynski will be 4 year college seniors if they sign.

Even if you assume that JOB and Brink won't push for jobs until 2021-22 (after the ED), that's still a lot of bodies on the verge of the NHL pushing for a limited supply of spots.

Laughton and Raffl are on two year deals, so if Pitlick and Andreoff walk, you're still only looking at 2 roster spots and maybe a 3rd if Raffl moves to the press box on a regular basis. And only 1 in the top 9 unless they trade someone.

This is why it's unlikely Fletcher adds anyone for 3RW, unless he does a "compression trade" where he moves a package of prospects for a young starter.

More likely, this season will be an open audition for prospects.
Which is why the starting lineup in October shouldn't engender much heartburn.

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
6ED73A5F-1E35-4DE0-A6D0-A9B1FA5438CA.gif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Was Giroux's #42 placing for top players ranked by THN, discussed? If so, ignore. If not...have fun.

He likely is the most under rated player this decade as a whole.

It’s absolutely obscene. I also think we sort of forget how good he is. It’s why I cringed every offseason under Hextall and am fine with short-term gambles: One of the 20 best hockey players in the world has been on this team for more than a decade. You’re not going to find another of those easily. The franchise should be geared around trying to win him a Cup, or win a Cup by having him, from now until it happens or he retires.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s absolutely obscene. I also think we sort of forget how good he is. It’s why I cringed every offseason under Hextall and am fine with short-term gambles: One of the 20 best hockey players in the world has been on this team for more than a decade. You’re not going to find another of those easily. The franchise should be geared around trying to win him a Cup, or win a Cup by having him, from now until it happens or he retires.

Just some interesting rankings to show how great he's been. Keep in mind that most of this was done on a rebuilding team.

5th in total points over the past 2 years
8th
in total points over the past 5 years (that injured year hurts his ranking here)
4th in total points over the past 10 years (his first full season until now)

5th in assists over the past 2 years
4th
in assists over the past 5 years
2nd
in assists over the past 10 years

7th in P/PG over the past 2 years (with 150+ games)
13th in P/PG over the past 5 years (with 300+ games)
8th in P/PG over the past 10 years (with 600+ games)

12th in PP points over the past 2 years (thanks to the Knob sabotage last year)
2nd in PP points over the past 5 years
2nd in PP points over the past 10 years

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
With all the whining about Pitlick, we are ignoring that Fletcher faces a serious logjam of forward prospects in the near future.

By next training camp,
Frost and Farabee will be ready,
Rubtsov and Kase if healthy should be ready,
Ratcliffe will have a year under his belt,
Vorobyev 3 years, Laberge, Bunnaman, Twarynski with 2 years,
Allison/Laczynski will be 4 year college seniors if they sign.

Even if you assume that JOB and Brink won't push for jobs until 2021-22 (after the ED), that's still a lot of bodies on the verge of the NHL pushing for a limited supply of spots.

Laughton and Raffl are on two year deals, so if Pitlick and Andreoff walk, you're still only looking at 2 roster spots and maybe a 3rd if Raffl moves to the press box on a regular basis. And only 1 in the top 9 unless they trade someone.

This is why it's unlikely Fletcher adds anyone for 3RW, unless he does a "compression trade" where he moves a package of prospects for a young starter.

More likely, this season will be an open audition for prospects.
Which is why the starting lineup in October shouldn't engender much heartburn.

God willing, a few of those prospects force their way into the lineup in 3rd and 4th line roles this season on a team that is playoff bound.
Fletch could afford to move guys like Laughton and Raffl at the TDL for more than they are worth and give the young guys a taste of playoff hockey without the pressure of having to produce in a top 6 role.

The guys you listed after Ratcliffe are likely AHL fodder or trade pieces. Aside from JOB and Brink of course but they will need more time.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Laughton, Raffl, Pitlick — they’re just placeholders. And they have an existing spot as is at forward.

That’s one place this season & three more by next season for the best four young forwards.

I’d guess: Farabee this year, & Frost, Ratcliffe, & Rubtsov by next year.

If Kase, Vorobyev, NAK or someone similar wins out over someone else, great, but they’re fringe prospects.

I’m not worried about blockage. They seem to have a nice progression in store.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just some interesting rankings to show how great he's been. Keep in mind that most of this was done on a rebuilding team.

5th in total points over the past 2 years
8th
in total points over the past 5 years (that injured year hurts his ranking here)
4th in total points over the past 10 years (his first full season until now)

5th in assists over the past 2 years
4th
in assists over the past 5 years
2nd
in assists over the past 10 years

7th in P/PG over the past 2 years (with 150+ games)
13th in P/PG over the past 5 years (with 300+ games)
8th in P/PG over the past 10 years (with 600+ games)

12th in PP points over the past 2 years (thanks to the Knob sabotage last year)
2nd in PP points over the past 5 years
2nd
in PP points over the past 10 years

"Yeah, but hes not elite."

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think in 19/20 Couturier is even better than Giroux, so that's an even bigger oversight, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad