2019-20 Roster Thread XV: The thread with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Gudas can’t make a pass if his life depended on it.
Sounds like Braun also can’t make a pass if his life depends on it.

I hope Braun is better than Gudas, if not, he will be passed quickly by Myers or Ghost.
Braun's a better skater, he's more experienced/has been more successful and he isn't one dangerous hit away from a 20 game suspension.
Maybe he won't be a major upgrade, but I doubt he'll be a downgrade, regardless of what analytics are trying to tell us.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Yup. Some variation of "Braun just needs to be a mentor for the trade to be worth it" has been said multiple times, by different people, in various threads.

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no "hyper-overreaction to push a narrative that isn't actually there" going on here... well... at least not on this side. :laugh:

Here's one quick example from literally a single page back:
Maybe you can perhaps resolve to attempt to explain what is either hyper- or over- about that "reaction". I won't hold my breath.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
You realize you're doing exactly what Jojo said, right?

You're not even listening to what people are actually saying and are then getting worked up.

who's getting worked up? i'm telling people like you to chill out and stop getting outraged over the roster before camp has even started. you're the one who's not listening.

Actually Rebel is wrong because he's mischaracterizing posts, either intentionally or unintentionally. People giving their opinions and pointing out concerns with roster moves isn't automatically being "miserable and negative" and saying it is is an attempt to invalidate their viewpoint.

i don't think he did it to invalidate anyone's viewpoint, but more an observation of the behavior of a select few here who'd rather see negatives everywhere than be more positive.

Also, as for the bold, you realize that these players have played in the NHL before, right? That people have seen them play and that you can know what a player is like and is worth before they play for your team? The fact that it's the offseason doesn't mean people can't give their opinions on moves (which isn't automatically "complaining" either, even if someone dislikes the move).

i think it's funny you say this because for starters, most Flyers fans have seen very, very little of Braun. if you go by "the people that have seen them play" thought (like Sharks fans) then you'd know they had many positive things to say about him. most notably how he stepped up in the playoffs last year. yeah he's not in his prime anymore, but he's a workhorse who can elevate his game when it matters. if he works out, great. if he doesn't, he's gone anyway. he should be the least of anyone's worries right now.

Do you also believe that also you shouldn't be able to praise anything that's happened this offseason? After all, "we haven't played a game yet, not even in pre-season. we don't even know what the lines will be yet". If "negativity" is invalid, due to the unknown, then so must be "positivity". Let's at least be consistent here.

no, because this is the first Hak-free season since 2014-15. it is 100% more reasonable to be more positive than negative solely because of that fact alone.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
who's getting worked up? i'm telling people like you to chill out and stop getting outraged over the roster before camp has even started. you're the one who's not listening.

i don't think he did it to invalidate anyone's viewpoint, but more an observation of the behavior of a select few here who'd rather see negatives everywhere than be more positive.

i think it's funny you say this because for starters, most Flyers fans have seen very, very little of Braun. if you go by "the people that have seen them play" thought (like Sharks fans) then you'd know they had many positive things to say about him. most notably how he stepped up in the playoffs last year. yeah he's not in his prime anymore, but he's a workhorse who can elevate his game when it matters. if he works out, great. if he doesn't, he's gone anyway. he should be the least of anyone's worries right now.

no, because this is the first Hak-free season since 2014-15. it is 100% more reasonable to be more positive than negative solely because of that fact alone.

Man this is like coming out of the worst relationship where you got cheated on, and they took half your savings. Leaving you with the baby.

I’m generally positive underneath, but somewhat apprehensive overall.

See what happens. Would be fun to cheer again.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
My god. Has it really been that long.

How long did Auschwitz go on for. By way of comparison.

Reactions: bauer

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Man this is like coming out of the worst relationship where you got cheated on, and they took half your savings. Leaving you with the baby.

I’m generally positive underneath, but somewhat apprehensive overall.

See what happens. Would be fun to cheer again.

stay positive Nutter. remember where we were this time last year.

tumblr_okuf4rQha01w31q5no1_400.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Do you see the hypocrisy here? :laugh:

You're doing that thing I just talked about again...

This is what prevents real conversations.

If you're going to try to use this to invalidate concerns/pessimism about the move then you also have to use it to invalidate praise/optimism.

You missed my point.

Again, if you're saying that not seeing the results of these actions means people shouldn't be "negative" about them then you also can't be "positive" about them. If the unknown should stop people from having opinions, then it works both ways. You have to be consistent.

I agree that people should be optimistic about this season, but you were the one that said that having opinions about the moves before we see the result is wrong.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe you can perhaps resolve to attempt to explain what is either hyper- or over- about that "reaction". I won't hold my breath.
You need to read the posts again.

I wasn't the one who said anything about there being either "hyper- or over- about that reaction".

In fact, in my 4 sentence post, the 3rd sentence literally says:
there's no "hyper-overreaction to push a narrative that isn't actually there" going on here

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Nothing sums up the reasoning behind my current mindset regarding the team better than this. Its a f***ing huge deal for me lol.

Reactions: Striiker

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
We're all guilty... together... as a big stupid family of idiots who all care too much about this damn team. :thumbu:

PS. that's my first "like" in 3+ months. lol
Ain’t that the sad, sorry truth. It’s been a long stretch of pretty mediocre hockey here in Flyerland for a very long time. Hopefully that begins to change with this upcoming season. While I’m not thrilled with the Braun deal and wish that the Hayes deal was a year or 2 shorter, overall, I’m pretty optimistic about the upcoming season. For the first time in a long time, they have some actual depth throughout the lineup and a head coach who actually has a track record of success at the NHL level.

Now get TK and Provorov signed and let’s get this thing going!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There wasn't a point at which Dave Hakstol was demonstrably the worst coach in the league. Nor was he ever a good coach and moving on was definitely the right call.

Do we have to go so overboard? Or doesn't that count as being negative since he's not a Flyer anymore?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ain’t that the sad, sorry truth. It’s been a long stretch of pretty mediocre hockey here in Flyerland for a very long time. Hopefully that begins to change with this upcoming season. While I’m not thrilled with the Braun deal and wish that the Hayes deal was a year or 2 shorter, overall, I’m pretty optimistic about the upcoming season. For the first time in a long time, they have some actual depth throughout the lineup and a head coach who actually has a track record of success at the NHL level.

Now get TK and Provorov signed and let’s get this thing going!
Yeah, I feel the same.

Like I said, you can be extremely optimistic about the team AND dislike certain decisions made this offseason. I feel that way and I know a lot of others do too, so the idea that people are either all positive or all negative is just silly.

Reactions: BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad