2019-20 Roster Thread XV: The thread with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
yeah if he comes super cheap, i wouldn.t say no.
That would be an insane FWD group.

I was thinking one year at $1m, but if people prefer to see Pitlick, Andreoff and Gabriel play on the 4th line, they're entitled to that opinion. :cool:

Reactions: KrazyKat

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm more so triggered by this one:

Maybe in a vacuum, but special teams are your highest leverage situations. Individually, they're far more important than a 5v5 shift. If you have depth, great. But it often becomes a legitimizing of just not playing your best players in the big moments.

Given that PPs don't exactly require a large expenditure of fuel, wouldn't you rather rotate on the PK? And PPs are so chemistry reliant -- what does a PP rotation even mean? Unless that's code for certain defensemen in a 4-1.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Maybe in a vacuum, but special teams are your highest leverage situations. Individually, they're far more important than a 5v5 shift. If you have depth, great. But it often becomes a legitimizing of just not playing your best players in the big moments.

Given that PPs don't exactly require a large expenditure of fuel, wouldn't you rather rotate on the PK? And PPs are so chemistry reliant -- what does a PP rotation even mean? Unless that's code for certain defensemen in a 4-1.

Was that exactly what AV said or just filtered through Carchidi? All players want to play on the PP maybe it was to signal his intent to certain players that PP time needs to be earned or it easily could be a misleading paraphrase from a beat although I'm sure that hardly ever happens

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

It's definitely a dumb mentality to have, but with this roster it shouldn't really hurt us too much. Not too many guys are on both the PP and PK.

Couturier is on both, Provorov is (shouldn't be), and who else? Sometimes Giroux on the PK? Obviously he's not leaving the PP.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

My immediate assumption is that he means dmen on unit 2. Which is fine, we do not need Provorov playing on the PP in addition to the rest of his workload. We have guys who need to get experience too.

Anything more extensive than that is gonna get weird.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
All I can say is Let's Go Flyers and Let's Go Mandog. How are the playoffs looking this year?

-VfGbY5OHrsTzqLweGGcxUplW0g=.gif

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I can see some sense in the comment. This team is going to have a lot of talented players, especially with one of Farabee or Frost on the roster, so there is merit in seeing how they work out on the PP even if its just in short stints.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My immediate assumption is that he means dmen on unit 2. Which is fine, we do not need Provorov playing on the PP in addition to the rest of his workload. We have guys who need to get experience too.

Anything more extensive than that is gonna get weird.

Giroux should be off the PK if we have a competent replacement.
Maybe Couts as well.
It's a matter of comparative advantage, it's easier to find solid PK guys than elite ES and PP guys.

Given Giroux's age and Cout's tendency to get dinged, reducing their TOI by a minute or two could pay dividends by the end of the season.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maybe Couts as well.
It's a matter of comparative advantage, it's easier to find solid PK guys than elite ES and PP guys.

Given Giroux's age and Cout's tendency to get dinged, reducing their TOI by a minute or two could pay dividends by the end of the season.

Giroux's PK usage should be situational. If we are down in the 3rd, yeah, let him take PK shifts with Couturier, see if they can score.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Maybe Couts as well.

If coots minutes get reduced it should be on the power play, not the pk. We have more options for the power play, he is irreplaceable on the pk. As much as I love him, he isn’t elite on the power play either.

G isn’t a necessity on the pk, agree there. @Beef Invictus — he may be good on a situational basis. Not just late in games, but if you perceive there is an advantage based on scouting. They are bad point to point, careless, whatever, but he has a distinct opportunity to go the other way.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not saying I want to overtax him, but Giroux is in the running for best PKer in the league. I don't want to remove him. Our PK being a tire fire has cost this team every year. Bergeron/Marchand being the PK1 for Boston hasn't exactly ruined them, likewise other teams. Being a potential non-one line team at ES actually opens up the possibility to field better PK units. Not Laughton/Pitlick or whatever.

But maybe if one of Farabee or Frost make the team, they can turn into our PK aces since they excel there. :jk:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not saying I want to overtax him, but Giroux is in the running for best PKer in the league. I don't want to remove him. Our PK being a tire fire has cost this team every year. Bergeron/Marchand being the PK1 for Boston hasn't exactly ruined them, likewise other teams. Being a potential non-one line team at ES actually opens up the possibility to field better PK units. Not Laughton/Pitlick or whatever.

But maybe if one of Farabee or Frost make the team, they can turn into our PK aces since they excel there. :jk:
Maybe someone will play well on the PK in the rookie game.

Problem solved.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

I have the same sentiment, however, I am not worried. Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, and Ghost should all be locks for the 1st PP. If they get off to a slow start and there’s a high spread in productivity, we could see something split up. Maybe just a “let’s see what happens if we replace X with Y”.

As long as this sentiment doesn’t go throughout the season... I’m ok.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
All I can say is Let's Go Flyers and Let's Go Mandog. How are the playoffs looking this year?
Lol ,apparently they must remember you and don't seem to be in the forgiving mood . The Hive can be a nasty place .

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Let's go Flyers indeed. However, Mandog's NHL days are over.

Team makes the playoffs this year. I have them as a top 5 favorite by X-Mas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad