2019-20 Roster Thread XV: The thread with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
In my mind I’m 16 or so. Sadly my body isn’t playing along.
9F5162AA-6AE8-4134-B96C-D7B336A01621.gif

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Everyone touches the puck. It's a gross oversimplification to pair a non-puck mover with a puck mover.

Ghost is our BEST transition defenseman. That's the distinction. He's also our best NZ defenseman. Braun is still respectable in that capacity. So, you might see more NZ break-ups, which Ghost needs. But Braun is also a dead zone offensively. If you get a cycle going, is that what you want?

I think that partnership helps Braun more than it helps Ghost. It might still be the ideal pairing. But it's doubtful to occur, so whatevs. And I'm unsure if Sanheim's weaker areas -- he's not especially good, let alone elite, at entry/exits for and against -- can overcome Braun's deficiencies. Not exactly a surprise that when a defender can't move the puck, finding a fit becomes hard.

All of this is sort of what I was going for, but I've temporarily lost the will to explain myself since we have people that apparently read "Hey, that's a good contract" as "this dudes a friggin all star!".

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
we have people that apparently read "Hey, that's a good contract" as "this dudes a friggin all star!".
If anyone actually thinks that way you're lowering yourself by even acknowledging it. Braun is here to straighten Provy's and Ghost's heads out for a little bit. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If anyone actually thinks that way you're lowering yourself by even acknowledging it. Braun is here to straighten Provy's and Ghost's heads out for a little bit. Nothing more, and nothing less.
Fletcher directly told Braun that he wasn’t here to mentor, he was here for his on-ice play.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I wasnt referring to Braun there, and no, Braun was told he was here to be a player, not a mentor.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Braun Signing = Niskanen Signing. For the reason I stated. You'd have to be extraordinarily daft not to know that. They're the same guy, for the same exact purpose.

Or setting yourself up to be the big message board armchair GM told-you-so hero. In the latter case which is just as likely as the first case, your stance is beyond contemptible. No one uses media comments as legitimate arguments unless they're a see you next tuesday.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gee, I guess if he's slated to play 20 minutes a night, he'd better actually play!

Though last time I checked, playing and mentoring aren't mutually exclusive.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Funny quote though. "I'm here to take care of guys."

When that's the way you interpret your new ten plus million dollar contract, it's got to have a funny effect on your expectations when you meet said 'guys' for the first time and play a season with them.

Ah well. Buck up, rich folks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well hes obviously lying, duh.

If nothing else, he can mentor them on how to not make an outlet pass, exit the zone, or handle the puck. All they'll have to do is watch him and do the opposite.
Funny how quickly it went from "MacDonald is a trash player and therefore not a good enough mentor" to "Braun will be a great mentor, no matter how he plays on the ice".

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Funny how quickly it went from "MacDonald is a trash player and therefore not a good enough mentor" to "Braun will be a great mentor, no matter how he plays on the ice".

Braun will be great!....if he rebounds, and the other guy we acquired rebounds, and the other guy we bought maintains and doesnt revert.

Lots of blind hope these days. Tells you how bad the Hakstol era was on the fans.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Braun will be great!....if he rebounds, and the other guy we acquired rebounds, and the other guy we bought maintains and doesnt revert.

Lots of blind hope these days. Tells you how bad the Hakstol era was on the fans.
I don't even have a problem with being hopeful/optimistic, the problem is that they act like anyone who isn't equally as hyper-optimistic is being unreasonable. As if there's no reasons for concern at all.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't even have a problem with being hopeful/optimistic, the problem is that they act like anyone who isn't equally as hyper-optimistic is being unreasonable. As if there's no reasons for concern at all.

I think that's my problem with a lot of this. Everytime we acquire someone its absolute best case (we're getting a #1D who just took his team to the Stanley cup and won two years ago!) And everyone who leaves here was garbage to begin with (lol, Gudas is a black hole offensively [which funnily enough, isnt even true]).

And I'm sure that even pointing this out will just have me labeled as a Hextall apologist too, because you can't criticize moves without an ulterior motive, obviously.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think that's my problem with a lot of this. Everytime we acquire someone its absolute best case (we're getting a #1D who just took his team to the Stanley cup and won two years ago!) And everyone who leaves here was garbage to begin with (lol, Gudas is a black hole offensively [which funnily enough, isnt even true]).

And I'm sure that even pointing this out will just have me labeled as a Hextall apologist too, because you can't criticize moves without an ulterior motive, obviously.
We gave up the second most goals in the entire league 5v5! Of course we are hoping for significant improvement and significant change. The entire RHD will be different as will the entire coaching staff and a new starting goalie. Will there be a learning curve? Of course. Will it work out perfectly? Unlikely but there needed to be change and HOPEfully significant improvement.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only 3 guys on the team this year according to my local sports store’s inventory.

Giroux
Gostisbehere
Gritty

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure many people are hoping for big "rebounds."

Niskanen has no "rebound" needed, his second half and playoff performance were pretty much back to his norm, and I expect AV will cut back his load slightly to keep his old legs fresh. He's more of a defensive player the last couple years, with O-zone starts < 40% in the playoffs.
Playoff xGF% last four seasons: 53.54, 55.29, 54.03, 54.05 - doesn't get more consistent than that!

Braun is past his peak, and no one refutes that, he's not going to be a major cog, he'll partner with Sanheim and basically CYA for him. Play some PK. If Myers steps up the second half, look for Braun's TOI to be gradually reduced.

Hayes is going to "revert" - to what? He's 27, so it's not like he's gonna suddenly do a Dorian Grey on you.
ES scoring: 39, 30, 35, 34, 41. PP 5, 6, 7, 8, 11. It's not like last season was some anomaly.
If anything, he's more likely to take it up a notch than take a step backwards, as he's become a two way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad